- MPLAB® X IDE
- MPLAB Xpress
- MPLAB X IDE Debug Features by Device
- MPLAB® XC Compilers
- MPLAB® Integrated Programming Environment (IPE)
- Emulation Extension Paks
- Emulator and Debugger Accessories
- Software Solutions Home
- MPLAB Code Configurator
- MPLAB Harmony
- Microchip Libraries for Applications
- Additional Software Libraries
- Code Examples
- Embedded Code Source
- MPLAB Xpress Arrow
- MPLAB Xpress MCHP
- CAD/CAE Symbols
- SPICE Models
- MPLAB Mindi Analog Simulator
- Analog Simulation Files
- Other Software Libraries
- SAM & AVR Supported Tools
MPLAB® X Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
MPLAB® X Integrated Development Environment (IDE) is a software program that runs on a PC (Windows®, Mac OS®, Linux®) to develop applications for Microchip microcontrollers and digital signal controllers. It is called an Integrated Development Environment because it provides a single integrated "environment" to develop code for embedded microcontrollers.
MPLAB X IDE brings a host of features to enhance the debug experience during the design phase of your project. Based on the open source NetBeans IDE from Oracle, Microchip has been able to add many frequently requested features very quickly and easily, while also providing a much more extensible architecture to bring you even more new features fast – including added support for PIC®, dsPIC®, AVR®, CEC and SAM microcontrollers and digital signal controllers.
Now Evaluate SAM MCUs with MPLAB X IDE v5.10 with Beta Support
Want to evaluate Microchip’s SAM microcontrollers, but don't have time to learn a new ecosystem? Now users of the MPLAB ecosystem can evaluate Microchip’s 32-bit SAM devices through their favorite development tools with the release of MPLAB X IDE version 5.10. In addition, this version of our popular IDE fully supports all Microchip PIC and dsPIC microcontrollers as it always has. MPLAB X IDE version 5.10 gives beta support for:
- SAM E70/S70/V71 and SAM D21/C21 microcontrollers with beta support of Xplained board on-board debugging for these families
- SAM E5X/D5X MCU families, but without Xplained on-board debug support
In addition to IDE support for SAM devices, debugging and compiling can be completed for SAM devices with this list of development tools:
- The high performance MPLAB ICD 4 in-circuit debugger and programmer
- The ever popular MPLAB PICkit™ 4 in-circuit debugger and programmer
- The affordable MPLAB Snap in-circuit debugger
- The MPLAB XC32++ C Compiler, which also supports 32-bit PIC devices
- The Arm® GCC compiler, which only supports devices with the Arm architecture
To view a complete listing of support, see the MPLAB X IDE Device Support List found in the documentation tab below.
Get started with your evaluation of SAM microcontrollers by either starting a project in Atmel START and importing it into MPLAB X IDE, or start right away inside MPLAB X IDE.
Want MPLAB X IDE on the go? Meet the
Cloud based MPLAB Xpress IDE
The award-winning MPLAB® Development Environment is now more portable than ever! Simply navigate to mplabxpress.microchip.com from any compatible internet browser, and enjoy the streamlined MPLAB Xpress IDE without any downloads or installation.