- MPLAB® X IDE
- MPLAB Xpress
- MPLAB X IDE Debug Features by Device
- MPLAB® XC Compilers
- MPLAB® Integrated Programming Environment (IPE)
- Emulation Extension Paks
- Emulator and Debugger Accessories
- Embedded Software Center
- MPLAB Code Configurator
- MPLAB Harmony
- Microchip Libraries for Applications
- Code Examples
- MPLAB Xpress MCHP
- CAD/CAE Symbols
- SPICE Models
- MPLAB Mindi Analog Simulator
- Analog Simulation Files
- Other Software Libraries
- SAM & AVR Supported Tools
- MPLAB® Device Blocks for Simulink®
- Development Boards and Tools
MPLAB® XC Compilers
Available as free, unrestricted-use downloads, our award-winning MPLAB® XC C Compilers are comprehensive solutions for your project’s software development. Finding the right compiler to support your device is simple:
- MPLAB XC8 supports all 8-bit PIC® and AVR® microcontrollers (MCUs)
- MPLAB XC16 supports all 16-bit PIC MCUs and dsPIC® Digital Signal Controllers (DSCs)
- MPLAB XC32/32++ supports all 32-bit PIC and SAM MCUs and MPUs
Note for macOS® and 32-bit OS users: Microchip has updated MPLAB XC16 and MPLAB XC32/32++ to be 64-bit only applications, and they are supported by the latest version of macOS, 10.15 Catalina. The latest versions of these toolchains will no longer run on 32-bit operating systems. The versions supporting only 64-bit operating systems start with MPLAB XC16 version 1.50 and MPLAB XC32/32++ version 2.40 and later.
When combined with our free and award-winning MPLAB X Integrated Development Environment (IDE), the fully graphical frontend provides:
- Editing errors and breakpoints that match corresponding lines in the source code
- Single stepping through C and C++ (C++ only available in MPLAB XC32++ compilers) source code to inspect variables and structures at critical points
- Data structures with defined data types, including floating point, display in watch windows
MPLAB XC Compiler Choices
Watch our MPLAB XC Compiler Family Webinar to learn more about the features and capabilities of these compilers.
MPLAB XC Compiler Optimizations
The optimizations found on MPLAB XC C Compilers provide code size reductions and speed enhancements that benefit your design projects. PRO license is available for designs that require maximum code reductions and best performance. The MPLAB XC C Compiler contains a free, 60-day trial of a PRO license for evaluation when activated.
MPLAB XC C Compiler Licenses – Go PRO
Need to optimize your code size reduction or get better speed from your project’s software? PRO licenses are available to unlock the full potential of the MPLAB XC C compiler’s advanced-level optimizations. See our list of flexible licensing options in the Features section below.
Now Available – MPLAB XC Functional Safety Licenses
Now Microchip offers a TÜV SÜD certified functional safety compiler package that supports all our PIC, dsPIC, AVR and SAM devices to make your tool qualification effort easier. The package includes all the documentation and reports for a fully qualified development environment for functional safety standards ISO26262, IEC 61508, IEC 62304 and IEC60730. Functional safety licenses are available in the downloads tab below. Note that these compilers only unlock when a functional safety license is purchased. For more information on functional safety licenses:
MPLAB Code Coverage
Measure how well your code is tested using MPLAB Code Coverage. This licensed feature is available in all MPLAB XC Compilers and is fully integrated into MPLAB X IDE to provide analytical and navigational tools, dashboards, summaries and reports.