Motor Control and Drive
Motor Control and Drive
- Motor Types
- Reference Designs
- Motor Control Products
- Motor Control Algorithms
- Motor Control Library
- Motor Control Simulations
- motorBench Development Suite
- Hardware Development Tools
- Design Partners
dsPIC33 Digital Signal Controllers for Advanced Motor Control
Implementing advanced motor control often requires a robust solution that offers the performance of a Digital Signal Processor (DSP) engine and the versatile peripherals of a microcontroller. Our dsPIC® Digital Signal Controllers (DSCs) offer key features and specialized peripherals to meet a variety of requirements for high-performance applications. For example, our sensorless Field Oriented Control (FOC) algorithm makes use of a single-cycle MAC with data saturation, zero overhead looping and barrel shifting for exceptional performance and precision speed, position and torque control. Discover how dsPIC DSCs, along with our ecosystem of development tools, software, and other design resources, make it easy to develop your next Brushed DC Motor, Brushless DC (BLDC) motor, stepper motor, Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor (PMSM) or AC Induction Motor (ACIM) application.
dsPIC33 DSC Products for Motor Control
The cost-optimized dsPIC33CK DSC family is designed for Field-Oriented Control (FOC) motor control. The dsPIC33CK64MC105 offers a comprehensive set of peripherals, high analog integration and the right memory size to implement applications requiring a single motor control, PFC, functional safety and robust operation.
|Program Flash (KB)||RAM|
|QEI||CAN FD/CAN||Automotive |
Grade 0 Qualified
|dsPIC33CK64MC105||100 MIPS||28–48||32–64||8||3.25 Msps|
Up to 15 Channels
|dsPIC33CK64MP105||100 MIPS||28–48||32–64||8||3 × 3.25 Msps|
Up to 19 Channels
|dsPIC33CK256MP508||100 MIPS||28–80||32–256||8–24||3 × 3.25 Msps|
Up to 24 Channels
|28–80||64–128||20||4 × 3.25 Msps|
Up to 18 Channels
|48–80||256–512||48||4 × 3.25 Msps|
Up to 18 Channels
|70 MIPS||28–64||32–256||4–16||1.1 Msps|
Up to 36 Channels
Motor Control Features
High-Performance dsPIC33 DSC Core
- Up to 100 MIPS with a DSP instruction set and modified Harvard architecture for implementing fast control loops
- Rich instruction set and addressing modes designed for real-time control where most instructions are single cycle
- Dual 40-bit accumulators to implement single-cycle MAC instructions
- Full-speed operation from Flash without added wait states
- Multiple context registers and accumulators for fast interrupt switching
- Devices with a dual-core architecture that provides a slave core dedicated for executing time-critical motor control algorithm and a master core dedicated for implementing system monitoring, user interface and communication functions
Motor Control Peripherals and High Analog Integration
- High-resolution complementary Pulse-Width Modulator (PWM) outputs with dead-time compensation
- Up to 16 channel high-resolution PWMs enable dual-motor control and integrated PFC
- High-speed 12-bit Analog-to-Digital Converters (ADCs) with digital comparators and multiple Sample-and-Hold (S&H) circuits
- Differential high-speed analog comparators, high-bandwidth op amps and Programmable Gain Amplifiers (PGAs), and 12-bit Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs)
- Tightly coupled PWMs, high-speed ADCs, PGAs and CPU for fast and predictable control loops.
- High level of integration for lower Bill of Materials (BOM) cost
Functional Safety Ready
- Designed to operate in harsh environments and enable standard certification requirements, both UL and VDE
- Support for Class B and ISO 26262 requirements
- Dedicated peripherals and functions to help increase the reliability in safety-critical applications
- System monitoring features include Dual Windowed Watchdog Timer (WWDT), Deadman Timer (DMT), Power-on Reset (POR), Brown-out Reset (BOR) and Fail-Safe Clock Monitor (FSCM) with Backup Oscillator
- Memory integrity verification includes Flash Error Detection and Correction (ECC), Fault Injection on Flash and Memory Built-in Self-Test (MBIST) on RAM
- Many devices are AEC Q-100 qualified with support for temperatures up to 150°C and 3V/5V operation
- Integrated CAN, CAN FD, LIN and SENT peripherals to support robust communication
- Rich set of high-performance peripherals for automotive motor control applications
- Core Independent Peripherals such as Configurable Logic Cell (CLC) and Peripheral Trigger Generator (PTG) enable higher levels of integration and flexibility
- Devices ranging from 32 KB up to 512 KB of Flash memory
- TQFP, SSOP, QFN and uQFN packages in 28-, 36-, 48-, 64-, 80- 100- and 144-pin options
- Scalable core performance with option of 100 MIPS in a single-core device or a dual-core device with a combined performance of 190 MIPS
- Easy-to-use hardware tools and free software to jumpstart your motor control designs
- MATLAB® code generation, Simulink® blocksets and motor models
- motorBench® Development Suite Graphical User Interface (GUI)-based software for automatic tuning and FOC of motors
- Motor Control Library supporting a range of sophisticated motor control algorithms
- Open source simulation and code generation using Scilab® Xcos and X2C.
motorBench® Development Suite
The motorBench Development Suite is a Graphical User Interface (GUI)-based software development tool for Field Oriented Control (FOC). It performs accurate measurement of critical motor parameters and automatic tuning of feedback control gains and generates source code for an MPLAB® X IDE project using the Motor Control Application Framework (MCAF).
Motor Control Application Algorithm and Application Software
To support the development of motor applications, we provide motor control libraries and examples for Field-Oriented Control (FOC), windmilling, DC-link compensation, field weakening and many other control algorithms.
Motor Control Library
The Motor Control Library contains FOC function blocks that are optimized for the dsPIC33 families of DSCs. The library functions are designed to be used within any application framework, providing an efficient and ﬂexible solution for implementing a motor control application.
Motor Control Simulation
If you are looking for a rapid prototyping solution for use with MATLAB® or Scilab®, our simulation package allows you to compile a Simulink® model that can be flashed into a dsPIC® DSC with a single push of a button. The motor control library blocksets, motor model and development boards provide a complete motor control development environment.
MPLAB® X Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
MPLAB X Integrated Development Environment (IDE) is an expandable, highly configurable software program that incorporates powerful tools to help you discover, configure, develop, debug and qualify embedded designs for Microchip’s microcontrollers and digital signal controllers.
MPLAB Code Configurator (MCC)
MPLAB Code Configurator (MCC) is a free, graphical programming environment that generates seamless, easy-to-understand C code to be inserted into your project.