Medical and Fitness
Medical and Fitness
- Blood Pressure Meter
- Digital Thermometer
- Glucose Meter
- Oxygen Concentrator
- Patient Monitor
- Pulse Oximeter
- Wearable Activity Monitors
- Digital Medical Weight Scale
- Medical Drug Delivery Pumps
- Medical Devices for IoT
- Design Partners
Connected Thermometer Demonstration Board
PIC16F15XX MCU Family with Integrated Capacitive Touch Module and the RN42 Bluetooth® Module
Design Files Download
Connected Thermometer Demo ‘C’ Source Code and Schematics are available for this demo.
This demo is not for sale. Please download the design files for your evaluation and prototype development.
Thermometers have been around for some time in traditional medical settings, but now digital temperature measurement devices can be found in many new and exciting places. For example, the ability to measure temperature is now being integrated into many consumer products such as connected fitness and medical activity trackers.
Microchip's Connected Thermometer Board demonstrates the implementation of a Bluetooth-connected digital thermometer using Microchip's PIC16F1519 MCU and RN42 Bluetooth Module. The PIC16F1519 MCU is an eXtreme Low Power (XLP), cost-effective 8-bit microcontroller with an integrated capacitive touch sensing module.
Connectivity is demonstrated on this board by the use of Microchip's fully qualified RN42 Bluetooth2.1 + EDR Module. This demo design can also be easily implemented using any of Microchip's Bluetooth Low Energy or Wi-Fi® connectivity modules.
- PIC16F1519 Product Page
- RN42 Bluetooth module not recommended for new designs. RN4871 or RN4870 Bluetooth Low Energy modules are recommended for new designs.
- Medical Design Center
Contact your local sales representative to see a working demonstration of Microchip's Connected Thermometer Demonstration Board.
PIC16F1519 MCU Features
- eXtreme Low Power (XLP) technology
- mTouch® integrated capacitive touch sensing module
- 28-channel 10-bit Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC)
- Fixed voltage reference with selectable voltage level outputs
- Several packages available including a small Ultra-Thin QFN (UQFN) package
RN4871 Bluetooth Low Energy Module Features
- Bluetooth 5 certified
- Easy-to-use ASCII command interface for communication with the host microcontroller
- Module certified for use in USA, Canada, Brazil, Europe, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China
- Mobile application supported in Microchip Bluetooth Data (MBD)
- Remote configuration capability
- Ceramic chip antenna or external antenna connection
Connected Thermometer Demonstration Board Highlights
- Measures temperature in Fahrenheit or Celsius
- Demo's buttons implemented using mTouch integrated capacitive touch technology
- OLED display is used to demonstrate stand-alone design capability
- Bluetooth module is used to demonstrate smartphone/tablet connected design capability
- Low overall BOM cost due to function integration
- Low-power operation utilizing Microchip's XLP PIC16F1519 MCU
- Powered by two AAAA batteries
Development Made Easy
Start with the free download of the schematics and 'C' source code that can easily be modified to your specific application needs. To download see the Resources section.
This reference design helps to develop a low-cost digital thermometer which can be handheld or integrated into a wearable device.*
*Microchip medical reference designs and demos are intended for evaluation and development purposes only. Use of Microchip devices in life support and/or safety applications is entirely at the buyer's risk, and the buyer agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Microchip from any and all damages, claims, suits, and expenses resulting from such use.