The USB2504 4-port hub controller is fully compliant with the USB 2.0 Specification and does not require firmware development. When connected to a USB high-speed host, the four downstream ports can operate at low-speed (1.5Mb/s), full-speed (12Mb/s), or high-speed (480Mb/s). As required by the USB 2.0 Specification, the USB2504 is fully backward compatible with legacy USB full-speed hosts.
A default configuration is available in the USB2504 following a reset. This configuration may be sufficient for some applications when it is desired to save the expense of an EEPROM. The controller may be configured from a microcontroller or an external EEPROM. When using the microcontroller interface, the USB2504 appears as a SMBus slave device. The EEPROM interface supports a 2-wire I2C device.
All required resistors on the USB ports are integrated into the USB2504. This includes all series termination resistors on D+ and D- pins and all required pull-down and pull-up resistors on D+ and D- pins. The over-current sense inputs for the downstream ports have internal pull-up resistors.
*The USBCheck online design review
service is subject to Microchip's Program Terms and Conditions
and requires a myMicrochip account.
For product comparison, please consider:
Note: The USB2504 is not recommended for new designs. The USB251x is the suggested replacement device for this product.
- Compliant with USB 2.0 Specification
- Hub Controller IC with Four Downstream Ports
- MultiTRAK&trade Technology Provides One Transaction Translator Per Port
- Default Configuration with Pin Selectable Options
- Flexible OEM Configuration Options
- 64-Pin TQFP RoHS compliant package
- Integrated 1.8V regulator
- Integrated Termination and Pull-Up/Pull-Down Resistors
- Internal Short Circuit Protection of DP and DM Lines
- On-Chip Oscillator Uses Low Cost 24MHz Crystal
- Supports Ganged or Individual Over-Current Protection and Power Control
- 3.3V I/O with 5V tolerance
- Pin-to-pin Compatible with USB20H04
OEM Selectable Features
The 4-Port Hub supports several OEM selectable features:
- Customize Vendor ID, Product ID, and Device ID
- Select whether the hub is part of a compound device
(When any downstream port is permanently hardwired to a USB peripheral device, the hub is part of a compound device)
- Select the presence of a permanently hardwired USB peripheral device on a port by port basis
- Configure the delay time for filtering the over-current sense inputs
- Configure the delay time for turning on downstream port power
- Configure the polarity of down stream port power control signals
- Indicate the maximum current that the 4-port hub consumes from the USB upstream port
- Indicate the maximum current required for the hub controller
Pin Selectable Options for Default Configuration
- Select Downstream Ports as Non-Removable Ports
- Select Downstream Ports as Disabled Ports
- Enable/Disable Downstream Port LED Indicators
- Select Downstream Port Power Control and Over-Current Detection on a Ganged or Individual Basis
- Select Downstream Port Power Control Polarity