The USB3300 is an industrial temperature Hi-Speed USB Physical Layer Transceiver (PHY). The USB3300 uses a low pin count interface (ULPI) to connect to a ULPI compliant Link layer. The ULPI interface reduces the UTMI+ interface from 54 pins to 12 pins using a method of in-band signaling and status byte transfers between the Link and PHY.
This PHY was designed from the start with the ULPI interface. No UTMI to ULPI wrappers are used in this design which provides a seamless ULPI to Link interface. The result is a PHY with a low latency transmit and receive time. Microchip's low latency high speed and full speed receiver provide the option of re-using existing UTMI Links with a simple wrapper to convert UTMI to ULPI.
The ULPI interface allows the USB3300 PHY to operate as a device, host, or an On-The-Go (OTG) device. Designs using the USB3300 PHY as a device, can add host and OTG capability at a later date with no additional pins.
The ULPI interface, combined with Microchip's proprietary technology, makes the USB3300 the ideal method of adding Hi-Speed USB to new designs. The USB3300 features an industry leading small footprint package (5mm by 5mm) with sub 1mm height. In addition the USB3300 integrates all DP and DM termination resistances and requires a minimal number of external components.
*The USBCheck online design review
service is subject to Microchip's Program Terms and Conditions
and requires a myMicrochip account.
- USB-IF Hi-Speed certified to the Universal Serial Bus Specification Rev 2.0
- Interface compliant with the ULPI Specification revision 1.1 in 8-bit mode
- Industry standard UTMI+ Low Pin Interface (ULPI) Converts 54 UTMI+ signals into a standard 12 pin Link controller interface
- 54.7mA Unconfigured Current (typical) - ideal for bus powered applications
- 83uA suspend current (typical) - ideal for battery powered applications
- Latch-Up performance exceeds 150 mA per EIA/JESD 78, Class II
- ESD protection levels of ±8kV HBM without external protection devices
- Integrated protection to withstand IEC61000-4-2 ESD tests (±8kV contact and ±15kV air) per 3rd party test facility
- Supports FS pre-amble for FS hubs with a LS device attached (UTMI+ Level 3)
- Supports HS SOF and LS keep-alive pulse
- Includes full support for the optional On-The-Go (OTG) protocol detailed in the On-The-Go Supplement Revision 1.0a specification
- Supports the OTG Host Negotiation Protocol (HNP) and Session Request Protocol (SRP)
- Allows host to turn VBUS off to conserve battery power in OTG applications
- Supports OTG monitoring of VBUS levels with internal comparators. Includes support for an external VBUS or fault monitor.
- Low Latency Hi-Speed Receiver (43 Hi-Speed clocks Max) allows use of legacy UTMI Links with a ULPI wrapper
- Integrated Pull-up resistor on STP for interface protection allows a reliable Link/PHY start-up with slow Links (software configured for low power)
- Internal 1.8 volt regulators allow operation from a single 3.3 volt supply
- Internal short circuit protection of ID, DP and DM lines to VBUS or ground
- Integrated 24MHz Crystal Oscillator supports either crystal operation or 24MHz external clock input
- Internal PLL for 480MHz Hi-Speed USB operation
- Industrial Operating Temperature -40°C to +85°C
- 32 pin, QFN RoHS Compliant package (5 x 5 x 0.90 mm height)
The USB3300 is the ideal companion to any ASIC, SoC or FPGA solution designed with a ULPI Hi-Speed USB host, peripheral or OTG core.
The USB3300 is well suited for:
- Cell Phones
- MP3 Players
- External Hard Drives
- Digital Still and Video Cameras
- Portable Media Players