Microchip Technology Inc. and its affiliates (collectively, "Microchip", "we", "us") respect your right to privacy. This Privacy Notice explains how we collect, use, and share information about you in connection a Microchip extranet to which we may provide you access (the “Microchip Secure Document Extranet” or, for purposes of this notice, the “Microchip SDE”) and for other activities as further described below, and how you can exercise your privacy rights.
Specifically, this Privacy Notice applies only to personal information we collect from you (including from your myMicrochip account registration or from access you may have had to the Microsemi myPMC extranet or other Microchip extranet with a similar purpose as the Microchip SDE), your employer or others whom you represent, and your device, in connection with your access to and use of the Microchip SDE and communications with you related to that site, our products or services, or other aspects of our business.
Brief Overview of the Microchip SDE and its Access
The Microchip SDE provides certain customers or other parties with whom we have a business relationship (collectively, “Microchip Customers”) access to certain Microchip documentation, software, or other resources related to Microchip’s products or services (collectively, “Resources”).
Access to the Microchip SDE is only available to a Microchip Customer that Microchip has "invited" to access one or more Resources made available via the Microchip SDE and that has signed a confidentiality or non-disclosure agreement with terms we consider appropriate (“NDA”).
If an invited Microchip Customer has requested that you be given access to the Microchip SDE, at our discretion, you, as their employee or representative, may register for access to the Microchip SDE by registering for a myMicrochip account via our website or, if you already have that account, then by logging in to your account once we have notified you about availability of Microchip SDE via your account. Alternatively, at our discretion, we may provide you access to the Microchip SDE via other means.
What personal information does Microchip collect and why?
The personal information that we may collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
· Information that you provide voluntarily
Use of the Microchip SDE may require you to provide personal information voluntarily. For example, we may ask you to provide your contact details such as a name, email address, and telephone number, your employer’s name, and other requested information on the myMicrochip registration portal. We may need your personal information to complete the registration process for you to obtain a myMicrochip account, for purposes of entering into, or carrying out the activities contemplated under, a confidentiality agreement or other agreements, with you, your employer, or others whom you represent, for us to provide you access to one or more Resources on the Microchip SDE, for us to administer, or provide you information about, the Microchip SDE or your myMicrochip account, to respond to your support requests or other enquiries, for you to subscribe to marketing or other communications from us, and/or for you to submit enquiries or comments to us.
· Information that we collect automatically
When you access and use the Microchip SDE and related applications, systems, databases, or other Microchip resources, we may collect certain information automatically from your device. In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area and the U.K., this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws.
Specifically, the information we collect automatically may include information like your IP address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser-type, broad geographic location (e.g. country or city-level location) and other technical information, including data relating to your use of Microchip SDE or other information or features made accessible via your myMicrochip account.
Collecting this information enables us to better understand the users who are accessing the Microchip SDE, where they come from, and what content of the Microchip SDE is of interest to them. We use this information for our own internal analytics purposes and to improve the quality and relevance of Microchip SDE or other information or features made accessible via the myMicrochip account for our users. However, this information is only processed in a way that does not directly identify anyone. We do not make any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website, nor to track individuals, and any IP addresses collected are anonymized. We also collect this information for security reasons to protect the security of our applications, systems, databases, or other Microchip resources as well as, in certain cases, the security of your or other Microchip users’ accounts with us.
Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technology, as explained further under the heading "Cookies and similar tracking technology"
· Information that we obtain from third party sources
From time to time, we may receive personal information about you from a Microchip Customer, who may be your employer or an entity that you represent. This information may include your name, email, job title, telephone number, and employment title or job designation and is used to confirm your identity as an employee or representative of that Microchip Customer and, at our discretion, grant you access to the Microchip SDE.
In general, we will use the personal information we collect from you only for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice or for purposes that we explain to you at the time we collect your personal information. However, we may also use your personal information for other purposes that are not incompatible with the purposes we have disclosed to you (such as research purposes, or statistical purposes) if and where this is permitted by applicable data protection laws.
Who does Microchip share personal information with?
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
· Our group companies as well as third-party service providers and partners who provide data processing services to us (for example, to support the delivery of, provide functionality on, or help maintain or enhance the security of our applications, systems, databases, or other Microchip resources), or who otherwise process personal information for purposes described in this Privacy Notice. For example, we use IT service providers, web hosting service providers, and marketing service providers.
· Any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person.
· An actual or potential buyer (and its agents and advisors) in connection with any actual or proposed purchase, merger or acquisition of any part of our business, provided that we inform the buyer it must use your personal information only for the purposes disclosed in this Privacy Notice.
· Your employer (our customer), in connection with your access and use of the Microchip SDE on their behalf.
· Any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
Legal basis for processing personal information (EEA and U.K. users only)
If you are a user from the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or the U.K., our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we will normally collect personal information from you in connection with your use of the Microchip SDE (i) where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you, (ii) where the processing is in our or a third party’s (e.g. your employer or an entity you represent) legitimate interests and not overridden by your rights, or (iii) where we have your consent to do so. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you.
Under certain circumstances, we may ask you to provide personal information for certain additional or different purposes, and if not already covered by this notice, make our purpose known at the relevant time. And, to the extent required by applicable EEA or U.K. law, we may inform whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory (as well as of certain possible consequences if your personal information has not been provided).
If we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate interests (or those of any third party), this interest will normally be:
· to operate or administer the Microchip SDE, including allocation of certain Resources to you;
· to communicate with you, your employer, or others whom you represent, as necessary to provide you access to the Microchip SDE, including certain Resources, or about our products, services, or other aspects of our business;
· for our other legitimate interests, for instance, when responding to your queries, improving the Microchip SDE or other information or features made accessible via your myMicrochip account, carrying out analytics, undertaking marketing where permitted by applicable data protection law;
· for the purposes of security of the Microchip SDE, and related applications, systems, databases, or other Microchip resources, including detecting or preventing illegal or unauthorized activities; or
· for purposes of enforcing our own legal rights.
We may have other legitimate interests and, if appropriate, we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
Cookies and similar tracking technology
How does Microchip keep my personal information secure?
We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information.
International data transfers
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country.
Our group companies and third-party service providers and partners operate around the world. This means when we collect your personal information, we may process it in any of these countries.
However, we have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your personal information will remain protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice. These include implementing the European Commission's Standard Contractual Clauses for transfers of personal information between applicable group companies, which require protection of personal information from the EEA or U.K. processed in accordance with applicable European data protection law.
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a product or service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax, or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if we determine that this is not possible or practical (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and keep it from any further processing until we determine that deletion is possible or practical.
Your data protection rights
If you are a resident of the EEA or the U.K., you have the following data protection rights:
· If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided at the end of this Privacy Notice.
· In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided at the end of this Privacy Notice.
· You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing e-mails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), then please contact us using the contact details provided at the end of this Privacy Notice.
· Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
· You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Updates to this Privacy Notice
We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time in response to changing legal, technical, or business developments. When we update our Privacy Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make, which measures may consist of a notification posted on our applicable websites that this Privacy Notice has been updated. We will obtain your consent to any material changes to this Privacy Notice if and where, and only to the extent, this is required by applicable data protection laws.
You can see when this Privacy Notice was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top or bottom of this Privacy Notice.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Copyright 1998- Microchip Technology Inc. All rights reserved.