Motor Control and Drive
Motor Control and Drive
- Motor Types
- Reference Designs
- Motor Control Products
- Motor Control Algorithms
- Motor Control Library
- Motor Control Simulations
- motorBench Development Suite
- Hardware Development Tools
- Design Partners
SAM C2xSAM C Cortex®-M0+ based microcontroller (MCU) series builds on decades of innovation and experience in embedded Flash microcontroller technology. It not only sets a new benchmark for flexibility and ease-of-use but also combines the performance and energy efficiency of an ARM Cortex-M0+ based MCU with an optimized architecture and peripheral set. SMART SAM C devices are truly differentiated 5V microcontrollers that are ideal for home appliances, industrial control and other 5V applications. CAN-FD, LIN and automotive qualification up to Grade 1 make the SAM C2x series a wise choice for automotive applications such as interior seats, door locks, power windows and more.
- ARM Cortex-M0+ based MCU running up to 48MHz
- Up to 256KB embedded Flash and 32KB SRAM
- 2.7V to 5.5V operating voltage
- Controller Area Network (CAN) interface supporting CAN-FD 1.0
- DMA and Event system
- Up to eight flexible serial communication modules (SERCOM)
- 12-bit ADC
- 16-bit Sigma-Delta ADC (SDADC)
- Motor Control Optimized Timer Counter Controls (TCC / PWM)
- Divide and square root accelerator (DIVAS)
- Hardware touch support with the Peripheral Touch Controller
- QFP, QFN and WLCSP package options
Sensorless Single Motor Drive with SAM C2x
Microchip’s SAM C2x Cortex M0+ line of microcontrollers balances single and dual motor control applications with a single, low cost, 5 volt MCU. Because these devices can run directly from 5V, they are the perfect MCU match for Microchip’s MCP8025 and MCP8026 BLDC gate drivers. These drivers feature an integrated 5V-out LDO AND integrated OpAmps and support up to 28V rails, making them perfect for portable battery powered motor applications such as tools, vacuums, small robotics and toys that utilize multiple LiPO batteries.
Dual sample and hold ADC’s make easy work of complex timing requirement for reconstructing Back EMF signals, and high speed comparators ensure cycle-by-cycle over current limiting for increased application safety and robustness. Additionally, a Sigma-Delta type ADC is also available in the C2x family, which can be used for V/I tracking, high accuracy temperature sensing and general metrology functions.
A simplified application block diagram is shown below representing the major connections from the SAM C2x to the power stage. As mentioned above, if used with an MPC802x series device, 5V for the MCU can be generated right from the driver chip, and both differential amplifiers are integrated into the driver for the Back EMF feedback loop.
Development Boards & Software
SAM C2x series devices are supported in the Microchip/Atmel Studio IDE, Atmel Studio Framework, and START for software examples and configuration. Sensored and Sensorless BLDC software is available in START for free and features a reduced order Leunenburge type control loop.
For hardware development, protyping and debugging, the SAM C2x series is supported with an Xplained Pro kit (ATSAMC21-XPRO) that supports Arduino style add-on boards. For BLDC Motor control applications, Microchip offers a 24 Volt development platform – ATSAMD21BLDC24V-STK - featuring a complete power stage, motor, and swappable Plug In Modules that support the C21, D21 and other devices.
SAM D1 & D2x series Low Cost M0+ MCU’s
Family Features: (For SAM D1x / D2x and DAx)
- Cortex-M0+ based MCU running up to 48MHz
- Flash memory densities range from 8KB to 256KB with SRAM ranging from 2KB to 32KB
- Low power consumption at <70µA/MHz
- DMA and Event system
- Up to Six flexible serial communication modules (SERCOM) provide peripheral flexibility including support for LIN
- Full-Speed USB Device and embedded Host
- 12-bit ADC with up to 20 channels; 10-bit DAC
- Motor control comparators and PWM modules
- Hardware touch support with the QTouch®Peripheral Touch Controller
- Packages ranging from 14 to 64-pin package options
- AEC-Q100 Automotive Qualified (SAM D2x and SAM DA1)
Low cost digital motor control
Microchip SAM D Cortex®-M0+ devices are the perfect migration from 8 and 16-bit variable speed motor applications such as fans and air handling systems. These low cost devices offer enough horsepower for FOC based BLDC applications, and work exceptionally well when paired with “smart” Sinusoidal Motor Drivers such as the MCP8063. This combination offers a high performance solution for telecom type fan applications, and, as both devices are AEC-Q100 Qualified, fan and pump applications in automotive segments.
Software and Hardware Development Tools
SAM Dx series devices are supported in the Microchip/Atmel Studio IDE, Atmel Studio Framework, and START for software examples and configuration. Sensored and Sensorless BLDC software is available in START for free and features a reduced order Leunenburge type control loop.
For hardware development, prototyping and debugging, the SAM Dx series is supported with an Xplained Pro kit (ATSAMD20-XPRO) that supports multiple add-on boards. For BLDC Motor control applications, Microchip offers a 24 Volt development platform – ATSAMD21BLDC24V-STK - featuring a complete power stage, motor, and swappable Plug In Modules that support the C21, D21 and other devices.
Customers looking to start developing SAM D2x based motor control can start with the ATSAMD21BLDC24V kit without any additional hardware.