Use Microchip's USB251xB family of versatile, cost-effective, and power-efficient USB 2.0 hub controllers, instead of USB2514 version.. Leveraging Microchip's innovative MultiTRAK™ technology that delivers industry-leading data throughput in mixed-speed USB environments, the USB251xB family is a USB port expansion solution for applications that demand ultra low power and a small footprint without compromising on performance.
Well-suited for consumer and mobile applications, all members of the USB251xB family are available in a space-saving package. The common 36-pin package shared among the 2/3/4 port hub controllers measures only 6x6 mm and provides an ultra small footprint for space-constrained designs while allowing scalable port expansion from two to four ports.
Over 30 programmable features including Microchip's unique PortMap, PortSwap, and PHYBoost are designed to aid system designers in simplifying PCB layout and optimizing bill-of-material cost. Every downstream port of the USB251xB hubs can be enabled to support USB Battery Charging 1.1 specification as a Charging Downstream Port (CDP). A CDP provides universal battery charging capability to a compliant mobile phone or portable electronic device using a standard USB port.
The USB251xB supports an extended operating temperature range of 0° to 85°C. The USB251xBi is designed to meet -40° to 85°C industrial temperature requirements.
*The USBCheck online design review
service is subject to Microchip's Program Terms and Conditions
and requires a myMicrochip account.
- High performance, ultra low-power, small footprint hub controller IC with 2, 3, or 4 downstream ports (indicated by the “x” in the part number)
- Fully compliant with the USB 2.0 specification
- Enhanced OEM configuration options available through either a single serial I2C® EEPROM, or SMBus slave port
- MultiTRAK™ - High-performance multiple transaction translator which provides one transaction translator per port
- PortMap - Flexible port mapping and disable sequencing
- PortSwap - Programmable USB differential-pair pin locations ease PCB design by aligning USB signal lines directly to connectors
- PHYBoost - Programmable USB signal drive strength for recovering signal integrity using 4-level driving strength resolution
- USB251xB/xBi products are fully footprint compatible with USB251x/xi/xA/xAi products as direct drop-in replacements
- Cost savings include using the same PCB components and application of USB-IF Compliance by Similarity
- Full power management with individual or ganged power control of each downstream port
- Fully integrated USB termination and pull-up/pulldown resistors
- Supports a single external 3.3 V supply source; internal regulators provide 1.2 V internal core voltage
- Onboard 24 MHz crystal driver, ceramic resonator, or external 24/48 MHz clock input
- Customizable vendor ID, product ID, and device ID
- 4 kilovolts of HBM JESD22-A114F ESD protection (powered and unpowered)
- Supports self- or bus-powered operation
- Support the USB Battery Charging specification Rev. 1.1 for Charging Downstream Ports (CDP)
- 36-pin QFN (6x6 mm) RoHS compliant package
- USB251xBi products support the industrial temperature range of -40°C to +85°C
- USB251xB products support the extended commercial temperature range of 0°C to +85°C
- Mobile PC Docking Stations
- LCD Monitors/TVs
- PC Motherboards
- Gaming Consoles
- Multi-Function Printers
- Cable/DSL Modems
- Set-Top Boxes
- HDD Enclosures
- KVM Switches
- Server Front Panels
- Point-of-Sale (POS) Systems
- IP Telephony
- Automobile/Home Audio Systems