Medical and Fitness
Medical and Fitness
- Blood Pressure Meter
- Digital Thermometer
- Glucose Meter
- Oxygen Concentrator
- Patient Monitor
- Pulse Oximeter
- Wearable Activity Monitors
- Digital Medical Weight Scale
- Medical Drug Delivery Pumps
- Medical Devices for IoT
- Design Partners
Vibrating Mesh Nebulizer Demonstration Board
PIC16F1713 MCU with Core Independent Peripherals
Medical nebulizers are drug delivery devices that break up medications into small aerosol droplets and deliver them directly to the airways for respiratory therapy. Medical nebulizers are commonly used for the treatment of COPD, asthma, cystic fibrosis and other respiratory diseases.
Vibrating mesh nebulizers, such as demonstrated by Microchip’s Vibrating Mesh Nebulizer Demo have many advantages such as small size and portability, quiet operation, short treatment times, battery operation, increased output efficiency and minimal residual volume.
Microchip’s Vibrating Mesh Nebulizer Demonstration Board shows a unique implementation for cost-effective drug delivery devices. The integrated Core Independent Peripherals (CIPs) on Microchip’s PIC16F1713 8-bit MCU significantly offload the MCU’s core in handling the control functions of a piezoelectric transducer mesh nebulizer. These functions include driving the boost and piezo output stages.
Microchip’s MCUs with CIP are designed to handle tasks independently with no code or supervision from the MCU’s core during operation. Using CIP can shorten the development time of complex control systems, reduce the design’s component count, board size and power consumption, as well as give you the flexibility to innovate.
Design Files Download
Start with the free download of the schematics and 'C' source code that can easily be modified to your specific application needs. To download see the Resources section above.
This demo is not for sale. Please download the design files for your evaluation and prototype development.
This reference design helps to develop low-cost piezoelectric transducer driver functionality for nebulizers and other drug delivery devices.*
*Microchip medical reference designs and demos are intended for evaluation and development purposes only. Use of Microchip devices in life support and/or safety applications is entirely at the buyer's risk, and the buyer agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Microchip from any and all damages, claims, suits, or expenses resulting from such use.
- Single-chip implementation of a piezoelectric vibrating mesh nebulizer
- Cost-effective method for drug delivery devices
- Boost and Piezo output stages use only discrete components
- Core Independent Peripherals (CIP) handle the following functions of this demo:
- The CLC, PWMs, op amps, comparators and DACs drive the first boost stage
- The NCO drives the piezo output stage
- CIPs significantly offload the MCU’s core, thereby freeing it up for other tasks
- Powered by three AAA batteries, USB or external power supply
- Test points and USB interface for easy development and debug
PIC16F1713 MCU Features
- eXtreme Low Power (XLP) technology
- Numerically Controlled Oscillator (NCO), Configurable Logic Cell (CLC), Complementary Output Generator (COG) and Zero Cross Detect (ZCD), Core Independent Peripherals
- Integrated capacitive touch sensing
- 17-channel 10-bit ADC
- 8-bit and 5-bit DACs
- Integrated operational amplifiers
- Peripheral pin select
- Several packages available including a small ultra-thin QFN (UQFN) package