Our WinPath® network processor family is purposely designed and optimized for access networks and Customer Premises Equipment (CPE) devices. WinPath network processors integrate programmable data plane and control plane processing components to maximize the value of software. They also support an extensive set of networking protocols for carrier-grade switch and router applications.
WinPath Data Plane
- Dedicated WinGines Network Processor (NPU) as the basis for programmable data path, packet processing and forwarding and also Software-Defined Networking (SDN)/OpenFlow pipeline
- Balanced and symmetric multiprocessor and multithreading architecture
- Strategically placed hardware accelerators including Internet Protocol Security (IPSec)
- Internal SRAM and external DDR3 SDRAM to buffer large amount of burst traffic
WinPath Control Plane
- General-purpose MIPS® cores
- L1 and L2 cache
WinPath Data Plane Interfaces
- Packet: Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, Packet Over SONET-Physical Layer (POS-PHY), System Packet Interface Level 3 (SPI3)
- Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM)
- Time-Division Multiplexing (TDM): Plesiochronous Digital Hierarchy (PDH), Synchronous Digital Hierarchy (SDH)
The third generation of WinPath products supports a broad set of protocols including interworking (MPLS, IPv4/IPv6 routing, VLAN-aware bridging), QoS (policing, shaping, per-flow queuing, WRED), synchronization (IEEE® 1588 v2, SyncE), OAM (Ethernet, MPLS), L2VPN, L3VPN, PWE3 and more.
- 15M packets per second
- 16 Gigabit Ethernet SGMIIs
- 16 TDIs supporting T1/E1/T3/E3
- EMPHY interface for connection to UFE412
WinPath3-SuperLite (WP3-SL) provides a powerful, yet lower-cost WinPath3 solution for L2/L3 and multi-service processing in the CPE market. It is 100% software compatible with WinPath3.
- 6 Gigabit Ethernet, 24 Fast Ethernet interfaces
- 16 TDM interfaces
- Low power consumption
- 27 mm × 27 mm 672 FCBGA package
As the fourth generation of WinPath products, WinPath4 continues the carrier-grade Ethernet focus of its predecessors and features more than four times the performance of WinPath3.
- 4 10 Gigabit Ethernet MACs
- 24 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces (SGMII or QSGMII)
- 12 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet SGMIIs
- 12 10/100 SS-SMIIs or 4 RGMIIs
- 48 WinGines running at 500 MHz
UFE412 is a companion device to WinPath3 to enable TDM, ATM, HDLC, PPP, and CES protocols and services on channelized and clear-channel STM-1/STM-4/OC-3/OC-12.
- CES, ATM, HDLC, POS pre-processing
- 4 OC3/STM-1 or 1xOC-12/STM-4 ports
- Up to 1K channels, ranging from a single DS0 to full OC-12c/STM-4
- Any service, any channel
Network Processor Ecosystem
Microchip’s network processor offering is closely integrated with key technology partners. We have developed collaborative expertise with leading providers of network architecture, control plane design, network software, or ODM/OEM solutions.
|Switching||10 Gbps||4 Gbps||40 Gbps|
|15 Mpps||6 Mpps||60 Mpps|
|Gigabit Ethernet Ports||16 S/R/GMII||6 S/R/GMII||24 Q/SGMII|
|2.5 Gigabit Ethernet Ports||8 SGMII||3 SGMII||12 SGMII|
|10 Gigibit Ethernet Ports||2 AUI||-||4 AUI|
|MIPS® Core||700 MHz ×2||650 MHz ×1||825 MHz ×2|
|Memory||2.5 MB RAM + |
|0.75 MB RAM + |
|8.5 MB RAM + |
|STM-1/STM-4||Yes (with UFE412)||-||-|
|Package||31 × 31 mm2||27 × 27 mm2||40 × 40 mm2|
|Typical Core Power||< 10W||< 4W||< 16W|
|Applications||10 Gigabit Ethernet access||Gigabit Ethernet access||10 Gigabit Ethernet access/aggregation|
WinPath is a fully programmable solution with integrated CPU and NPU subsystems.
- CPU System
- General-purpose MIPS® core
- Runs user OS and applications
- Initializes and configures NPU system
- Supports for cache, Flash, I2C, UART, host bus, INT, timer etc.
- NPU System
- Balanced and symmetric multi-processor and multi-threading architecture
- Runs micro code in program RAM
- Assisted by various hardware accelerators
- IPSec, Traffic Management, Classification, Policing, and more
- Optimized for L2/L3 packet processing and forwarding
- Supports for Ethernet, IP, TDM and ATM interfaces