- Design Partners
An Electrocardiogram or ECG machine is a device used to monitor and record the electrical activity of the heart. Since each heart beat produces an electrical impulse in the heart, the generated cardiac electrical potentials can be measured with sensors placed on the body at different locations. Abnormal electrical activity can indicate conditions such as heart attack, chest trauma, reduced blood flow to the heart, arrhythmia or heart deformities.
The demand for portable and accurate ECG monitoring has grown substantially. Despite the smaller size of these portable products, ECG devices still require precision filtering, high-performance processing power, and integrated high-resolution graphics control that is separate from the main microcontroller core.
Microchip meets these design requirements, along with the flexibility to add superior additional features with a broad portfolio of highly-integrated microcontrollers, semiconductors, software and development solutions. These include integrated microcontrollers and products with digital filtering, low-noise analog signal conditioning, graphics controllers, touch technology, wired/wireless connectivity and multiple low-power modes.
Microchip’s options for components in ECG devices include:
- Enhanced dsPIC33 Digital Signal Processing (DSP) microcontrollers
- Signal conditioning and amplification analog components such as low-noise
- High-performance 16-bit PIC24 DA family and 32-bit PIC32 80 Millions of Instructions Per Second (MIPS) family of microcontrollers with graphics control
Cost-effective8-bit PIC16 family of microcontrollers with integrated analog
Microchip has what ECG designers need:
- Microchip DSP microcontrollers for powerful processing and digital filtering
- Available digital filter design tool makes designing FIR and IIR filters easy and intuitive
- Low-noise analog components for amplification and precision filtering of the sensor lead output
- High-resolution graphics control to portable ECG devices with compact displays
- Available graphics libraries and design tools help get ECG designs to market quickly
- Cost-effective microcontrollers with integrated analog for smaller heart rate and ECG device applications
Connected, Secure, and Wearable Electrocardiogram (ECG) Demo Design Files
Check out the design files for a connected, secure, and wearable ECG demo