High performance power supplies are used in a wide variety of applications ranging from telecommunication equipment, industrial equipment, digital televisions, lighting, air conditioners and other home appliances. They all need solutions for power factor correction to improve overall efficiency, improve the input power factor, voltage regulation and Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) of the input current. Digital interleaved power factor correction methods provide many benefits over older PFC techniques including:
- Lower Cost for High Power Applications
- Smaller PFC Inductor and Magnetic volume
- Higher Power Density
- Lower Ripple
- Easy implementation of sophisticated control algorithms
- Flexible software modifications to meet specific customer needs
- Simpler integration with other applications
This reference design provides an easy method to evaluate the power, and features of SMPS dsPIC® Digital Signal Controllers for an Interleaved Power Factor Correction application. The Interleaved PFC reference design unit works with universal input voltage range, and produces a single high voltage DC output up to 350W of power. The reference design has six main blocks:
- Input EMI filter and rectifier
- Dual Phase Interleaved PFC Circuit with feedback
- Plug in module connector with a dsPIC33FJ16GS504
- User’s interface circuit with programming connector and push buttons
- 12V and 3.3V power supply circuit, and
- Fault detection circuit for hardware protection
The dual phase interleaved PFC software implements three compensators for voltage, current and load balancing. It also has a feed-forward compensator based on input average voltage.
Do you want a demonstration?
Please contact local sales office in your geography to request a demonstration.
to find worldwide network of Sales & Support