• AVR Freaks

AN1095 Emulated EEPROM "multi-bank support"

Author
sjb741
  • Total Posts : 805
  • Reward points : 0
2012/07/27 07:08:50 (permalink)

AN1095 Emulated EEPROM "multi-bank support"

I'm not clear what the point in "multi-bank support" is. Why not just specify one virtual EEPROM with appropriate range? You have 'unsigned int' worth of addresses to play with.
There is a note
   The EEPROM banks are considered as
   different EEPROMs, each having its own
   effective endurance.
Is that the only purpose though? As I understand it, you specify an address and some data to write, but the address parameter treats the "multi-bank" (which seems to equate to 'multiple-emulated-EEPROMs') as one continuous address.

4 Replies Related Threads

JorgeF
    • Total Posts : 3340
    Re:AN1095 Emulated EEPROM "multi-bank support" 2012/07/27 11:10:12 (permalink)
    Hi

That a simple one.
    Simulation of multi bank EEPROM provides the basis for working with multiple EEPROM chips in teh same bus.
    If you have an electronics boartd with 1 MB EEPROM split across 4 chip of 256KB each the programming algorithms for it will be the ones for a multi bank EEPROm, wehre the bank selection will be the chip address/enable bits.
    Also the separate endurance life cycles do mimic the real behaviour of multiple independent chips.

Best regards
    Jorge

sjb741
    • Total Posts : 805
    Re:AN1095 Emulated EEPROM "multi-bank support" 2012/07/27 13:22:09 (permalink)
    Thank you; I start to understand.

But why would I want to emulate a PCB with separate EEPROMS? (Surely all I want is "persistent storage on a PIC").
    1. For simulation ?
    2. For portability of code between a platform with separate chips and a platform with just the PIC?
    Neiwiertz
    • Total Posts : 2094
    Re:AN1095 Emulated EEPROM "multi-bank support" 2012/07/28 02:54:31 (permalink)
    As I understand it, you specify an address and some data to write, but the address parameter treats the "multi-bank" (which seems to equate to 'multiple-emulated-EEPROMs') as one continuous address
    Yes this i same as i understand from the example provided, there is no option at function to select a second bank or the selection of bank is made by the continuous address it self, still have two banks and if one bank wears out the address range of continuous address belonging to the other bank is still available due it has not wear out yet, i understand a bank has multiple pages to increase endurance, bank is only used by init i see, this is my point of view of how it (Could) works

Flying With --|Explorer 16|HardWare|SoftWare|-- Fav(s) Gallery Lists
    JorgeF
    • Total Posts : 3340
    Re:AN1095 Emulated EEPROM "multi-bank support" 2012/07/28 04:31:47 (permalink)
    Hi

sjb741
    Thank you; I start to understand.

But why would I want to emulate a PCB with separate EEPROMS? (Surely all I want is "persistent storage on a PIC").
    1. For simulation ?
    2. For portability of code between a platform with separate chips and a platform with just the PIC?

I'm not sure that the Microchip tech stuff make App Notes thinking in you, me or someone else in special.
    Probably they try to make it as generic as possible, so that each one of us can adapt to our specific needs.

Best regards
    Jorge

Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5