• AVR Freaks

PIC32 with USB and Ethernet

Author
digysol
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
2009/10/22 12:27:03 (permalink)

PIC32 with USB and Ethernet

During ESC Boston in September, I was told at the Microchip booth that a new version of the PIC32 will be coming out around mid or late October that incorporates both USB and Ethernet (PHY, MAC) support. Any news on that front? I am working on project that can greatly benefit from having both USB and Ethernet supported in the PIC32.

8 Replies Related Threads

Nigle
    • Total Posts : 298
    RE: PIC32 with USB and Ethernet 2009/10/23 03:20:07 (permalink)
    Microchip seem reluctant to make any firm statement about the new PIC32 devices, and what hints I have found are sometimes in conflict.

Part numbers for these are listed in the programming specification, the device selection in MPLAB and on Mouser's website ( complete with prices ) but are all different. I believe the range will look something like this:
            Flash
    Chip  256K 512K  RAM  CAN  Ethernet
    -----------------------------------
    575    Y    Y    64K   1   
    675    Y    Y    64K          Y
    695         Y   128K          Y
    775    Y    Y    64K   2      Y
    795         Y   128K   2      Y
    All devices have USB and are available in 64 and 100 pin packages.

I will stick my neck out and predict that the ethernet devices will have integrated PHY with the option of an MII interface.

All we need now is for Microchip to tell us how long to wait :-)
    Kiwi Mike AZ
    • Total Posts : 2056
    RE: PIC32 with USB and Ethernet 2009/10/23 06:35:06 (permalink)
    I would guess that is Mouser is listing the parts, that they are not to far away (Maybe within 4 weeks)....
    but more likely that they have broken an agreement because the parts have not been officially announced yet and posted the pricing prematurely.

But saying that... Digikey has none listed, but Future Electronics does.... so might be coming soon

Mike
    purdyd
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: PIC32 with USB and Ethernet 2009/10/23 11:22:36 (permalink)
    ethernet and CAN togethor?  that would be nice

any hint of an improved external bus interface?
    Nigle
    RE: PIC32 with USB and Ethernet 2009/10/23 13:44:15 (permalink)

No, and having given us 128K of RAM it is probably an even lower priority for Microchip than before. That is enough for most of the things that I have been thinking of that wouldn't fit in 32K.

simath
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: PIC32 with USB and Ethernet 2009/10/23 14:18:28 (permalink)
    I find nothing in MPLAB 8.36 (device selection or readme on device support) that indicates ANYTHING about these new devices.  Where do you see this in MPLAB?  A line with 128k would be nice - but unlikely (I'll guess 64k max. - given competing devices from Luminary, Atmel, ST - M3 parts).  The new Ethernet parts showed up on the website (with prelim. data sheets) several months prior to sample release.  Given there is still NO information on these new PIC32 parts, I wouldn't count on seeing them sampling until Dec./Jan.  I'm sure detailed in-house testing is going on.  The TCP stack guys (Howard) are obviously going to be working on modifications to support these new parts.  I'll also bet no internal 10/100Phy (RMII only - fewer pins).  Unless there is a 144-pin part...
    Nigle
    RE: PIC32 with USB and Ethernet 2009/10/23 15:35:36 (permalink)
    I find nothing in MPLAB 8.36 (device selection or readme on device support) that indicates ANYTHING about these new devices.
    I am using 8.40, it was released about 10 days ago, and some of the devices are included.

A line with 128k would be nice - but unlikely
    Then either you will be pleasantly surprised or I will be disappointed! Microchip have said that 128K RAM devices are in the pipeline, so I am fairly confident that these will be available ( but not necessarily in the first devices that are launched ).

Given there is still NO information on these new PIC32 parts, I wouldn't count on seeing them sampling until Dec./Jan.
    I suspect that some samples are already available to major customers, but the rest of us will probably have to wait until at least the new year.

The TCP stack guys (Howard) are obviously going to be working on modifications to support these new parts.
    Indeed so, and there is no mention of these parts in the current library, which reinforces your view that these devices won't be available for quite a while.

I'll also bet no internal 10/100Phy (RMII only - fewer pins).
    I will have to disagree with you there! Although I probably should have said RMII rather than MII, fewer valuable pins as you said.

Unless there is a 144-pin part...
    XBGA packages for existing parts are listed on Microchip Direct for availability next month, so that may happen. However, there is no mention of these in the available datasheets so I don't see how anybody could make use of them. If it is just a repackaging of the existing 100 pin die then the only advantage would be a reduction in board space anyway.

The website has been a bit of a disaster area the last week or two, and is going to be down for upgrade tomorrow. Maybe there has been a moratorium on adding new material until the new site is up, in which case we could have a lot of new information next week.
    post edited by Nigle - 2009/10/23 15:38:37
    purdyd
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: PIC32 with USB and Ethernet 2009/10/25 07:37:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nigle

No, and having given us 128K of RAM it is probably an even lower priority for Microchip than before. That is enough for most of the things that I have been thinking of that wouldn't fit in 32K.

unless you start doing bit mapped color graphic displays..... and you likely want more RAM but you will certainly appreciate a cleaner interface with the LCD controller

which is actually something i am disappointed has not been integrated onto the PIC32 - it was my understanding from sitting in on the Microchip Master conference a year ago that some type of LCD bit mapped graphics capability was going to be integrated into a microchip device

perhaps the ill fated attempt at an Atmel buyout and the drop in the market put that plan on the back burner

i think a true external bus interface vice the primitive PMP mode would bring a lot more flexibility to the table for the PIC32

Nigle
    RE: PIC32 with USB and Ethernet 2009/10/25 08:11:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: purdyd

ORIGINAL: Nigle

unless you start doing bit mapped color graphic displays

Which is why I said 'most', the work project at the moment includes interfacing to a 320x240 TFT display.

The PMP's limitation of a 64K address range meant that it made more sense to use an unaddressed interface mode and rely on the controller's autoincrement ability instead.

A proper external memory interface would probably have to be given a dedicated bus in the bus matrix, so not a straightforward thing to do.
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5