purdyd
  • Total Posts : 116
  • Reward points : 0
2009/04/24 20:37:15 (permalink)
3.5 (2)

Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet

The new graphics developer board

http://www.microchipdirect.com/productsearch.aspx?Keywords=ac164127-3

has the solomon systech ssd1926 chip but i can't find a data sheet with the register definitions for this chip.  The data sheet on the solomon systech site is incomplete and can't get any word out of them.

Anyone have a source for more documentation on this chipe?

27 Replies Related Threads

xiaofan
    • Total Posts : 6247
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/04/24 23:59:40 (permalink)
    Google "solomon systech ssd1926" and the first hit will give you the datasheet.
    http://www.solomon-systech.com/products/ssd1926.htm
    http://www.solomon-systech.com/pdf/SSD1926R1_2.pdf

USB_Links and libusb
    andyhewitson
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/04/25 08:13:31 (permalink)
    I share your pain.  The Microchip driver for the SSD1926 does not take advantage of the acceleration / JPEG / SDC features of the SSD1926.  Presumeably support for the onboard hardware will find it's way into the SSD1926 graphic driver and Mass Storage stack (the SD/MMC infterface) over time, but it's not there now.  The absence of meaningful data on the Solomon website does not help in this regard.

I have received, without too much trouble, an "AppNote" from Solomon for the SSD1926.  It's marked as CONFIDENTIAL, so I cannot distribute.  I'm sure that if you write to sales@solomon-systech.com and request the same information, they will help you.

Before you get too excited, the "AppNote" that I received is nothing more than a list of registers (lots of them!) with terse description of function.  There are no programming examples / pseudo code.  So basically usesless.  I'm about to request some usefull information.  I found nothing on the web after Googling for while.

The SSD1926 is a great device for embedded applications that need to offload operations to a graphics co-processor.  The SSD1926 is a good fit for Microchip processors and Microchip must have recognised this.  However, it appears that the development kit has been released prematurely, with neither driver-level support for the graphic hardware, nor Mass Storage driver support for the build-in SD/MMC port.

Here's what we need:
    1) Solomon to release programming examples / pseudocode for all the functions of the device.
    2) Microchip to be forthcoming about their roadmap for support for the device.

I will be taking this up with my Microchip support rep, and Future Electronics (the Solomon distributor).  I urge you to do the same.  Perhaps with enough people requesting this information, we will make some progress.
    purdyd
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/04/25 10:10:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: xiaofan

Google "solomon systech ssd1926" and the first hit will give you the datasheet.
    http://www.solomon-systech.com/products/ssd1926.htm
    http://www.solomon-systech.com/pdf/SSD1926R1_2.pdf

that pdf does not contain any information on the registers or how to program them.  It is incomplete.
    purdyd
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/04/25 10:13:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: andyhewitson

I share your pain. 

thanks Andy - for some reason Solomon Systech did not reply to my email for more information.  I will try again.  I assume the registers are a superset of the 1906 but there is absolutely no information on the website on the 2d acceleration features or SD card interface.  It is disappointing to hear there is not more information on using the advanced features in regards to appnotes.

Thanks,

David
    andyhewitson
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/04/25 16:13:17 (permalink)
    David, the PDF that I received from Solomon isn't posted anywhere - I received it as an email attachment.  It's called "SSD1926-application_note-register_table-0.12.pdf".  Not that it's of any value on it's own; there are no code examples.

I expect (hope?) that someone at Microchip is furiously coding away to bring the appnotes up to date for this device.  The SSD1926 driver is just a rebadged SSD1906 driver, so it looks like an interim measure.

Solomon do have a USA office in AZ.  Look on the Solomon website under Contact/USA.  I have written today and will start pestering my phone next week.  I'll post progress here.
    purdyd
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/04/26 21:15:05 (permalink)
    I did send email to the Solomon Systech Arizona office last week and didn't hear anything from them.  It is a bit frustrating.  I am sure the driver from microchip is the 1906 driver and that doesn't take advantage of any of the drawing capabilities in the 1926 and without at least some documentation on the chip it would be impossible to use them.

Some of the Epson offerings are starting to look better.
    Kiwi Mike AZ
    • Total Posts : 2044
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/04/26 21:19:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: purdyd
    Some of the Epson offerings are starting to look better.

I have been waiting over a year to get a response from EPSON - they are missing some critical timing information from their data sheets.

Finally met a US based EPSON engineer at ESC..... still waiting to hear from him as well.

andyhewitson
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/04/27 06:58:55 (permalink)
    There are no easy answers.  The best embedded graphic driver offerings IMHO are from Fujitsu, but they wont talk to you unless you're consuming +10k per year.  So how the f..k do you get there? The logic is astonishing.

Re Epson devices, I had a long hard look at a devices from all manufacturers, and the SSD1926 is the only one that I found (other than Fujitsu) that provides basic 2D functionality.  For my design, hardware accelleration was a must-have feature.  The availability of the starter kit with working (even though sub-optimal) drivers from Microchip clinched the deal.

Re Solomon AZ, I suggest that you get on the phone and pester them for support.  If enough of us do that, maybe they will get the idea that to promote their silicon they need to let people know how it works.  Also consider creating a support ticket with Microchip.  Maybe they have the super secret data sheet / appnotes for the SSD1926.  Microchip distribute the datasheet for the Micron flash device on their Graphic kit that is otherwise only available under NDA (again, the logic?) from Micron.  So maybe Microchip would make it available to their customers...

Updated 4/27:
    Just got of the phone with KL of Solomon in AZ.  Very helpful and understanding response.  I'm confident that we'll get the info that we need, but it may need to be through the Solomon application support guys in Singapore.  I'm on it.  I'll update this thread with progress.  My timetable is to get sample source code for the acceleration hardware and SD interface within the week.

Updated 4/27:
    Have now exhausted local support options, and am being connected with Solomon application support guys in Singapore.  Progress is encouraging.  I haven't yet been stonewalled with an NDA.
    post edited by andyhewitson - 2009/04/27 09:40:53
    purdyd
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/04/27 09:17:18 (permalink)
    a phone call to solomon systech seemed to work better than email

i have an open ticket already with microchip requesting more documentation

in fact i have three tickets on the pictail plus board with the SSD1926

1) i couldn't find the schematic - which is actually buried in the application library
    2) there is an Ampire 5.7" display that would make it easy to interface with a variety of 33pin LCD's that is mentioned but can't find a source for it
    3) and the SSD1926 documentation is lacking register definitions

Epson has some chips with basic 2D bitblt operations - hard to compare with the SSD1926 without more documentation in my hands
    andyhewitson
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/04/27 09:45:20 (permalink)
    The number of registers (as indicated by the #defines in the Microchip driver) is scary.  Believe me, you don't want to try to figure this puppy out from that direction.  Sample source is the only reasonable approach.  Solomon must have this.  We just need to prise it off them.
    andyhewitson
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/04/28 09:27:55 (permalink)
    Feedback on Solomon support for the SSD1926:
    Very encouraging.  I received an email from the Solomon application development team with register timing calculations for different displays, app notes and code examples for SD card interface, image drawing, etc.  The timestamps on this material is fairly recent, so it looks like it's and area of active development.  One hopes so.

Personally I am very encouraged by the level of support from Solomon and have no hesitation in designing in on the SSD1926 via the AC164127-3.

The application notes and code examples, while written for the Pic, exist outside of the Microchip Graphic library / AC164127-3 ecosystem.  I'm in the process of convincing Solomon to release code snippets (if not full ports) that can allow us (the development community) to implement the 2D acceleration features of the SSD1926 in the graphic library.

This is all good progress.  If you can sit tight for a week, please allow me to progress this with Solomon so that they do not have to service a lot of requests for the same info.

Neiwiertz
    • Total Posts : 2094
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/04/28 11:50:16 (permalink)
    Good news about this topic additional i updated the: Flying With E16 Favs Gallery List
    E16 Interfacing: Graphics PICtail Plus Daughter Board 2

Flying With --|Explorer 16|HardWare|SoftWare|-- Fav(s) Gallery Lists
    AikHong
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/04/28 20:48:16 (permalink)
    Hi guys

I am the application guy whom Andy had been communicating with in Singapore.  From his email, I understand that you are facing some frustration in not able to get the best out of our Solomon chip, my sincere apology for that. pink

I will try to visit this forum as often as I can, and hope to be of help to you. Sorry that I could not post anything at the moment as I am not sure whether this will infringe with my company policy or not. But you can feel free to drop me an email, and let me know what you need.

Currently, I had written 2 application notes for SD host controller and JPEG decoder engine, of course with some code. I believe I can share this with you ( but do note, its purely C, and not written for Microchip MCU ) if you let me know whats your end product / projects ( so that I can report to my boss whom I share with and for what purpose wink )

Thanks Smile

purdyd
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/04/29 07:19:06 (permalink)
    AikHong - you hid your email address but if you email me or private message me with your email address i would like to request the sample code and request some additional examples

C code is fine for examples
    billysdomain
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/05/01 12:11:54 (permalink)
    AikHong,

Me too please, in desperate need for register defs and a few timing examples
    MIPS2006
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/06/04 19:51:47 (permalink)
    Hi AikHong,

Do you have register settings of SSD1926 interfacing with TP025THEG1? I would like to use the LCD in 960x240 through mode non-interlace

Million Thanks!!

ORIGINAL: AikHong

Hi guys

I am the application guy whom Andy had been communicating with in Singapore.  From his email, I understand that you are facing some frustration in not able to get the best out of our Solomon chip, my sincere apology for that. pink

I will try to visit this forum as often as I can, and hope to be of help to you. Sorry that I could not post anything at the moment as I am not sure whether this will infringe with my company policy or not. But you can feel free to drop me an email, and let me know what you need.

Currently, I had written 2 application notes for SD host controller and JPEG decoder engine, of course with some code. I believe I can share this with you ( but do note, its purely C, and not written for Microchip MCU ) if you let me know whats your end product / projects ( so that I can report to my boss whom I share with and for what purpose wink )

Thanks Smile

DA
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/06/05 00:15:10 (permalink)
    AikHong

If you PM me I will give you details of my project and what I would like to do with the SSD1926. Hopefully I can then get more details on the chip and use it to more of its capacity.

Regards
    D

Hi guys

Thanks Smile

MIPS2006
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/06/14 22:20:16 (permalink)
    Try this configuration (Provided by Solomon Systech)

REG_PLL_CLK_SET_0 126h PLL Clock Setting Register 0 0A
    REG_PLL_CLK_SET_1 127h PLL Clock Setting Register 1 C8
    REG_MEMCLK_CONFIG 04h MCLK Memory Clock Configuration Register 0

REG_PCLK_FREQ_RATIO_0 158h PCLK Frequency Ratio Register 0 FF
    REG_PCLK_FREQ_RATIO_1 159h PCLK Frequency Ratio Register 1 3F
    REG_PCLK_FREQ_RATIO_2 15ah PCLK Frequency Ratio Register 2 1
    REG_PANEL_TYPE 010h Panel Type Register 42
    REG_MOD_RATE 011h MOD Rate Register 0
    REG_HORIZ_TOTAL_0 012h Horizontal Total (HT) 2E
    REG_HORIZ_TOTAL_1 013h Horizontal Total (HT) 5
    REG_HDP 014h Horizontal Display Period (HDP) 27
    REG_HDP_START_POS0 016h Horizontal Display Period Start Position (HDPS) 26
    REG_HDP_START_POS1 017h Horizontal Display Period Start Position (HDPS) 0
    REG_HSYNC_PULSE_WIDTH 020h Hsync Pulse Width 0
    REG_HSYNC_PULSE_START_POS0 022h Horizontal Pulse Start Position (HPS) 0
    REG_HSYNC_PULSE_START_POS1 023h Horizontal Pulse Start Position (HPS) 0
    REG_VERT_TOTAL0 018h Vertical Total (VT) 5
    REG_VERT_TOTAL1 019h Vertical Total (VT) 1
    REG_VDP0 01Ch Vertical Display Period (VDP) EF
    REG_VDP1 01Dh Vertical Display Period (VDP) 0
    REG_VDP_START_POS0 01Eh Vertical Display Period Start Position (VDPS) E
    REG_VDP_START_POS1 01Fh Vertical Display Period Start Position (VDPS) 0
    REG_VSYNC_PULSE_WIDTH 024h Vsync Pulse Width 0
    REG_VSYNC_PULSE_START_POS0 026h Vertical Pulse Start Position (VPS) (in pixels) 0
    REG_VSYNC_PULSE_START_POS1 027h Vertical Pulse Start Position (VPS) (in pixels) 0
    REG_FPFRAME_START_OFFSET0 030h Vertical Pulse Offset 0
    REG_FPFRAME_START_OFFSET1 031h Vertical Pulse Offset 0
    REG_HRTFT_SPECIAL_OUTPUT 038h Pixel Clock Polarity Register 1
    REG_LCD_SUBPIXEL_ALIGNMENT 042h RGB Sequence Register 0

ORIGINAL: MIPS2006

Hi AikHong,

Do you have register settings of SSD1926 interfacing with TP025THEG1? I would like to use the LCD in 960x240 through mode non-interlace

Million Thanks!!

Hi guys

Thanks Smile

AikHong
    RE: Solomon Systech SSD1926 Datasheet 2009/06/15 07:53:41 (permalink)
    Hi

Sorry, I did not check this website for quite a number of days due to heavy workload

Can you email to ahtok@solomon-systech.com, so with what you need and require, so that I can reply tomorrow morning.

Thanks
    Aik Hong
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5