Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Deepam
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
2008/07/23 22:02:10 (permalink)

REAL ICE Installation issue

Hi,

I am using the MPLAB v8.00 for my PIC24F project. I am trying to use the REAL ICE for debugging purpose, but during the installation of the REAL ICE driver the system hangs. It seems to be ,the driver cannot copy the "NcGen.sys" file.

Please give me your expert advise in this regard.

20 Replies Related Threads

_fragment_
    • Total Posts : 421
    RE: REAL ICE Installation issue 2008/10/08 09:24:05 (permalink)
    Did you ever resolve this problem? I am having the exact same issue. And when it hangs the system, it hangs it up hard. The only way out is to power the system down. I have tried following the USB driver instructions to the letter, and I have tried it with MPLAB 8.10 which came with my REAL ICE and also with MPLAB 8.01. I have had absolutely no other USB problems with my system.

Dave
    _fragment_
    RE: REAL ICE Installation issue 2008/10/08 13:57:39 (permalink)
    A Microchip FAE suggested today that I try installing the interim MPLAB 8.14. This did not change anything.

Dave
    Neiwiertz
    • Total Posts : 2125
    RE: REAL ICE Installation issue 2008/10/08 14:22:27 (permalink)
    +2 (1)
    The same thing happened to me a long while ago, hang at instaltion, i even got a replacement of a RealICE within two weeks fast support of Microhip Smile. Well it was a long story additonal i figured out i had old version of NcGen.sys due some reason but this was not the cause the Both RealICES were perfect, the fault was due at my PC somewhere running a stupid scanner or somethingSmileSmile.

Reboot your PC at safemode holding F8 at startup and try install of RealICE driver once again.

you can find usbdeview here http://forum.microchip.com/fb.aspx?m=339165
    to uninstall any usbdriver, then boot F8, and point to program files mplab ide real ice drivers folder

But install 8.14 first to ensure you have newest version of any driver

At folder windows/system32/drivers there will be
    RealICEBulk.sys v4.7.3.13, and NcGen.sys 1.6.4.6

post edited by Neiwiertz - 2008/10/08 14:40:10

Flying With --|Explorer 16|HardWare|SoftWare|-- Fav(s) Gallery Lists
    _fragment_
    RE: REAL ICE Installation issue 2008/10/08 17:20:05 (permalink)
    Both of those files are in windows/system32/drivers and they have the versions you indicate. So, whatever the install wizard does AFTER copying NcGen.sys is what hangs the system.

I have installed MPLAB on another computer that is not connected to any network (completely standalone) and the REAL ICE USB installs just fine. But I need it to install on my networked PC.

The only other thing that I can think of before investigating the USBdeview that you mention is that I have Windows CE development tools installed for another project that uses Microsoft ActiveSync to connect to a WinCE device that we buy. ActiveSync connects through USB. It would not be acceptable if I had to remove ActiveSync to get REAL ICE to play nice with my PC. During my attempts to install the REAL ICE drivers I have not had any WinCE devices connected. But I'm not sure how to completely disable ActiveSync without removing the WinCE development tools - the icon in my system tray does not offer anything on its menu for shutting ActiveSync off completely. I have told it to not allow any connections via USB, but this did not help REAL ICE to install. ...The joys of working on multiple projects with multiple toolsets...

Dave
    Neiwiertz
    RE: REAL ICE Installation issue 2008/10/09 12:20:49 (permalink)
    system tray does not offer anything on its menu for shutting ActiveSync off completely
    Maybe you can shut it down to stop it services manual (if it is running by a service).

Is it possible to boot your PC at safemode holding F8 at startup install realice there
    (i assume it is a winxp environment). I think this is the best change to lett the installer complete.

Regards

_fragment_
    RE: REAL ICE Installation issue 2008/10/10 12:25:51 (permalink)
    I thought of shutting down ActiveSync in Windows Services, but I couldn't see any such listing in Services. Besides the Microchip FAE that visited yesterday told me he uses REAL ICE on a system with ActiveSync without any problems.

I tried your suggestion of booting in safe mode (took several reboots, you've really got to mash down on F8 for a long time or it won't take, also had to select safe mode with networking so I could log in). This worked. I now have the USB driver loaded and was able to do the REAL ICE self test successfully. Nice and fragile USB installer Microchip has provided. I've never had this much trouble installing USB drivers.

Thanks for the assistance.

Dave
    Neiwiertz
    RE: REAL ICE Installation issue 2008/10/10 15:05:30 (permalink)
    Yep booting to safemode was the solution for my PC and this confirms it worked at your PC as well. Me too it cost me days to figure out and glad i found a workarround, i entered a ticket at that time and support people tried to helped me by lot of effort even they send me a second RealICE to give that one a try, Finally i found the safemode solution, and let this finding know at support (it was a long time ago).

Please let your FAE know about this workaround so they can help other people i think this issue can affect more frequently at the future, and your FAE could send Microchip a heads up about this issue so they can take care of it (i know it can be hard job to create a reproduce environment for such issue)

Regards

TSN
    RE: REAL ICE Installation issue 2008/10/28 13:29:05 (permalink)
    Hi!
    Just to let you and others know...
    I have just had the excact same problem.
    WinXP hangs after copying the NcGen.sys driver at the very end of the installation.
    And with both MPLAB 7.62 and 8.14.
    I rebooted in safe mode, plugged in the REAL ICE device, installed with success and rebooted normally...
    Bing - my problem was solved...

Thanks for your help.

T. Skriver
    davel
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: REAL ICE Installation issue 2009/12/20 16:32:33 (permalink)
    Hello,
    I had the same problem too (system hangs at NcGen.sys copy). I tried installing in safe mode as suggested. This allowed the installation to complete. However, after I rebooted back to normal mode, as soon as I plug in the ICD3 (USB), the system hangs solid, can't do anything, need to hard reset. I'm in the RealIce forum with ICD3 because the ICD3 thread points here. 

I previously had ICD3 on MPLAB 8.30 (XP SP3) working fine. But my hard drive died so now have a fresh install of XP SP3. I tried installing MPLAB 8.43 first on the fresh system, and I encountered the problem as discussed above. So next I tried rolling back to 8.30 but this made no difference. I then found this thread and tried the safe-mode thing, and as I said, now the system hangs as soon as ICD3 is plugged in.

Any help will be appreciated.

davel
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: REAL ICE Installation issue 2010/01/02 16:18:49 (permalink)
    I found that my anti-virus (Kaspersky) was the culprit. I think it was preventing proper installation of MPLAB itself as there was no MPLAB entry in the Windows "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel, and the MPLAB setup.exe kept disappearing from the install folder. I uninstalled everything, cleaned the registry, disabled Kaspersky, and re-installed MPLAB and drivers. Seems OK now.

Lesson learned. It was painful.
    DarioG
    Allmächtig.
    • Total Posts : 54081
    RE: REAL ICE Installation issue 2010/01/03 03:32:46 (permalink)
    wonderful Smile I hate antiviruses
    post edited by DarioG - 2010/03/15 03:00:53

GENOVA :D :D ! GODO
    HowardH
    • Total Posts : 799
    RE: REAL ICE Installation issue 2010/03/13 16:54:15 (permalink)
    There is a conflict with Kapersky.  Kapersky needs to be de-installed (not just disabled).  Then the drivers will load properly.
    You should then be able to re-install Kapersky.

Regards,

Howard
    post edited by HowardH - 2010/03/15 23:00:32
    Billaw
    Re: RE: REAL ICE Installation issue 2010/06/19 05:27:05 (permalink)
    I have just had this installation problem on both my desktop and laptop pcs, bith running XP SP3. To resolve it on the laptop, I uninstalled ZoneAlarm (an antivirus) and Laplink Gold which also had a file called NcGen.sys. I also uninstalled drivers for the only other USB peripheral that was installed. Uninstalled MPLAB IDE (v 8.36). Re-booted. Ran a registry cleaner. Re-installed MPLAB IDE (v.8.36), re-booted as per instructions. Then connected the REAL ICE and installed the drivers using the wizard, but designating the REAL ICE drivers directory as the place to search.

It seems to be wise not to try to do anything else with the pc you intent to use with the development kit, so the laptop will be used just for development and the desktop for everything else I need to do.

It would have saved me a lot of time if the documents with the development kit that I bought (only a few days ago) had mentioned this potential problem, which cannot be that uncommon.
    GARETH_71
    • Total Posts : 166
    Re:REAL ICE Installation issue 2010/06/22 04:41:58 (permalink)
    This is shocking!

I have had the same problem, fixed by installing in safe mode. (after two wasted days).
    Why is it only microchip products do this. I have never known a USB driver to completely hang a machine.
    I have a very expensive pc with a raid 5 array that must be shut down in a controlled way - obviously I could not do this when the microchip drivers locked my pc up, so I lost data - Thanks again microchip!

I've been developing with PIC products since 1991, and I have to say I am thinking of moving to Atmel simply because the microchip support is absolutely rubbish. Its been FIVE days since I logged a ticket, and not even a peep from them!

I remember a time when you could call tech support on a normal landline number and an engineer would answer the phone.....

Gareth
    vwheeler
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:REAL ICE Installation issue 2011/12/21 14:26:26 (permalink)
    The above solutions didn't work for me, so I investigated further. I have Windows XP SP3, fully updated, AVG Anti-Virus Free Version, and Cacheman 7.1.0.0 running. While de-installing my AVG Anti-Virus did not help, booting under Safe Mode and attempting the install again allowed it to complete successfully. However, after this, plugging in MPLAB REAL ICE would cause my system to stop responding again. So I started removing processes from the start-up sequence, and de-installing things one at a time until it started working. The last thing I de-installed right before it started working was Cacheman 7.1.0.0 (I had a previous version of Cacheman (5.1.1) before that). When it started working, I searched the registry and removed every key with "Cacheman" (matching whole words only) and "Outertech" in it. Then after re-installing everything I de-installed, MPLAB REAL ICE continued working, including after re-installing Cacheman 7.1.0.0! I kept a detailed log of my investigation sequence, but it won't post here (attempting to post says there is an error), so I am posting this shorter version instead. In any case, I submit this sequence to everyone having problems and to Microchip Tech Support to help further isolate the problem. Kind regards, Vic
    konrad
    Re:REAL ICE Installation issue 2012/04/14 02:18:50 (permalink)
    I have just experienced the same issues as above. I have used a Real ICE for years, but after a break, I tried to connect to a device and it said database missing. I won't tell the boring story of what followed, but we worked out that we have 4 Real ICE, only 1 with old firmware that works with my existing driver. The other 3 crash my PC and two other PCs we tried. We all have Kapersky installed. I tried disabling Kapersky to no avail. Do I have to uninstall Kapersky? I have installed MPLAB 8.83 now. Do I have to re-install this with Kapersky off? As I can't quite remember the sequence of events, do newer Real ICE require different drivers to older (e.g. revision #D) versions? If I take the old Real ICE and update the firmware does this then need the new drivers? Once I get this sorted I suppose I shall have to repeat driver installation on all our PCs on all USB ports! Regards Konrad
    Neiwiertz
    Re:REAL ICE Installation issue 2012/04/14 04:59:02 (permalink)
    When perform driver installation boot holding F8 to safemode first (if driver installation hangs at normalmode)
    then install drivers and additional to remove at USB use USBDeview
    If database failed at RealICE i think the firmware loader is broken some how at RealICE in that case ask MC
    post edited by Neiwiertz - 2012/04/14 05:07:05

vwheeler
    Re:REAL ICE Installation issue 2012/07/05 21:18:14 (permalink)
    I recently had to re-build a system and ran into this same issue so came back to see how I solved it.  In fact, de-installing Cacheman did not work this time and it leaves me to believe that the real cause of this remains hidden.  However, I will confirm the work-around presented in another thread on this same issue:  rebooting in SafeMode, installing driver there, and then WHILE LEAVING REAL ICE PLUGGED INTO THE COMPUTER, reboot in normal mode.  It doesn't work if REAL ICE is not left plugged in -- for whatever reason (if you plug it in after the Normal Mode reboot, it hangs the system -- hard reset is the only way to gain control of it again).  I tried it both ways.  This was an effective work-around so that I could at least get back to production again.   I will also say that my system is a Windows XP Pro 32-bit, fully updated and in pristine condition software- and hardware-wise, and this is the ONLY software or driver I have had a problem with at all, and I have run into it consistently, each time I have built a new system.  So this is still an issue.
    vwheeler
    Re:REAL ICE Installation issue 2012/07/05 21:29:05 (permalink)
    I recently had to re-build a system and ran into this same issue so came back to see how I solved it.  In fact, de-installing other software did not work this time and it leaves me to believe that the real cause of this remains hidden.  However, I will confirm the work-around presented in another thread on this same issue:

1.   follow instructions in http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/51417E.pdf to remove partially-installed driver;
    2.   reboot in SafeMode;
    3.   install driver there; and
    4.   then WHILE LEAVING REAL ICE PLUGGED INTO THE COMPUTER, reboot in normal mode.

It doesn't work if REAL ICE is not left plugged in when rebooting in Normal Model after a successful install in SafeMode -- for whatever reason (if you plug it in AFTER the Normal Mode reboot, it hangs the system -- hard reset is the only way to gain control of it again).  I tried it both ways.

This was an effective work-around so that I could at least get back to production again.

My system is a Windows XP Pro 32-bit, fully updated and in pristine condition software- and hardware-wise, using MPLAB IDE 8.63, and this is the ONLY software or driver I have had a problem with at all, and I have run into it consistently, each time I have built a new system.  So this is still an issue.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5