LockedInstalling the MPLAB C32 Compiler

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JasonK
  • Total Posts : 3411
  • Reward points : 0
2007/11/05 22:15:46 (permalink)

Installing the MPLAB C32 Compiler

The MPLAB C32 C Compiler Student Edition installation works a little differently from the MPLAB C18 or MPLAB C30's installers. The MPLAB C32 Student Edition requires a license key to get the full 64KB allowed by the Student Edition. Once you download the MPLAB C32 installer, find the link to request a license key. You'll receive an email with your custom license key that will allow you to install the student edition.

Hope this helps!
post edited by JasonK - 2007/11/09 12:21:54

Jason Kajita
 Follow me on Twitter
http://support.microchip.com for urgent questions

33 Replies Related Threads

xiaofan
    • Total Posts : 6247
    RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/06 04:15:38 (permalink)
    From C32 v1.0 Release Notes:

The MPLAB C32 tools are written and distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL) which means that its source code is freely distributed and available to the public.
    The source for the tools under the GNU GPL may be downloaded separately from the Microchip WWW web page. You may read the GNU GPL in the file named COPYING located the docs subdirectory of your install directory. A general discussion of principles underlying the GPL may be found at www.gnu.org/copyleft.

Support code provided for the header files, linker scripts, and runtime libraries are proprietary code and not covered under the GPL. See the full MPLAB C32 License Agreement for details.

From http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=2615&dDocName=en532454

The MPLAB C32 Student Edition has full optimizations that never expire and a compiler code size limit of 64 Kbytes. To activate the Student Edition, insert the free license key during installation. Without the license key, the default code size limit is 16 Kbytes.

Do you know why there is a code size limit? Which part of C32 is not covered by GPL?

For example, the following is from C30 Release Notes:

With the exceptions noted below, the 16-Bit tools are written and distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL) which means that its source code is freely distributed and available to the public.
      The source for the tools under the GNU GPL may be downloaded separately from the Microchip WWW web page. You may read the GNU GPL in the file named COPYING located the top level of your install directory. A general discussion of principles underlying the GPL may be found at www.gnu.org/copyleft.

Exceptions to the GNU GPL:
      pic30-lm pic30-pa sim30
      Support code provided for the header files, linker scripts, and runtime libraries are also exceptions to, and therefore not covered under, the GPL.

Therefore Microchip can release the C30 student version with optimization limitation since the PA optimizer is not under GNU GPL.

JasonK
      • Total Posts : 3411
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/06 09:34:09 (permalink)
      I don't think that I can discuss the size-limitation mechanism on the forum, but I can say that the source code for everything covered by the GPL should be in the posted source archive.

Jason Kajita
       Follow me on Twitter
      http://support.microchip.com for urgent questions
      xiaofan
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/06 16:16:14 (permalink)
      ORIGINAL: JasonK

I don't think that I can discuss the size-limitation mechanism on the forum, but I can say that the source code for everything covered by the GPL should be in the posted source archive.

Actually I am asking this because there seems to be a missing part to build the C compiler from the provided souce code. I can build the binutils (including as and ld) from the source, but building gcc will cause missing hearder file error.

Finally I have found a way to build gcc under Linux (should work under Cygwin as well but I have not tried) by copying the header files from the C32 student version.

So it seems if someone ported newlib (or uclibc, etc) to PIC32, it is possible to build a legitimate gcc compiler for PIC32.
      xiaofan
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/06 16:24:02 (permalink)
      I got it compiled by using the C32 Student version header files. Because building gcc will lead to errors of missing header files, I installed the C32 student version under Wine and copy the header files to the directory /opt/pic32mx/pic32mx/include. The GCC can be built. Building gdb will fail but anyway it is not included in the Microchip C32 compiler either.

export TARGET=pic32mx
      export PREFIX=/opt/$TARGET
      export PATH=$PATH:$PREFIX/bin
      ./configure --target=$TARGET --prefix=$PREFIX --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld \
      --with-headers=$prefix/$target/include --enable-languages=c

Building the binutils first and install it. Then go to the as and ld folder and build/install them. After that, gcc can be build.
      gdb failed to be built.

mcuee@ubuntu:/opt/pic32mx/bin$ ./pic32mx-gcc --version
      pic32mx-gcc (GCC) 3.4.4 MPLAB C32 v1.00-20071024
      Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
      This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
      warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

mcuee@ubuntu:/opt/pic32mx/bin$ ls
      pic32mx-addr2line pic32mx-bin2hex pic32mx-gcc
      pic32mx-gcov pic32mx-objcopy pic32mx-readelf
      pic32mx-strings
      pic32mx-ar pic32mx-c++filt pic32mx-gcc-3.4.4
      pic32mx-ld pic32mx-objdump pic32mx-run pic32mx-strip
      pic32mx-as pic32mx-cpp pic32mx-gccbug pic32mx-nm
      pic32mx-ranlib pic32mx-size

Under Wine:
      mcuee@ubuntu:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Microchip/MPLAB C32/bin$ ls
      pic32-addr2line.exe pic32-cpp.exe pic32mx-gcc-3.4.4 pic32-readelf.exe
      pic32-ar.exe pic32-gccbug pic32-nm.exe pic32-size.exe
      pic32-as.exe pic32-gcc.exe pic32-objcopy.exe pic32-strings.exe
      pic32-bin2hex.exe pic32-gcov.exe pic32-objdump.exe pic32-strip.exe
      pic32-c++filt.exe pic32-ld.exe pic32-ranlib.exe

I know this is not right procedure but I am not so sure how to bypass the missing header file errors when building gcc.That is why I suspecting that C library is the missing link to build pic32-gcc.
      xiaofan
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/06 16:36:14 (permalink)
      mcuee@ubuntu:/opt/pic32mx/pic32mx/lib$ mv libmchp_peripheral_32mx360f512l.a libmchp_peripheral_32MX360F512L.a

mcuee@ubuntu:~/Desktop/pic32/c32_examples/led_message/source$ pic32mx-gcc led_message.c -mprocessor=32MX360F512L -o led_message.elf

mcuee@ubuntu:~/Desktop/pic32/c32_examples/led_message/source$ ls
      led_message.c led_message.elf

mcuee@ubuntu:~/Desktop/pic32/c32_examples/led_message/source$ pic32mx-bin2hex led_message.elf

mcuee@ubuntu:~/Desktop/pic32/c32_examples/led_message/source$ ls
      led_message.c led_message.elf led_message.hex
      xiaofan
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/06 16:39:20 (permalink)
      I understand this may not be the proper way (to use the header file and library from the student version) to get things done. It is just for my learning process.

For C30 GCC source, there is a license clafication but it is also disbuted since it claims that "Additional files from MPLAB C30 such as library files, linker scripts, and include files are owned by Microchip and licensed for use with MPLAB C30 C Compiler and MPLAB C30 Student Edition only. Other uses violate the terms of the Microchip license agreement."

http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=139510
      xiaofan
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/08 01:42:29 (permalink)

I am not a lawyer but I still want to ask whether is really legal to distribute a code size limited C32 (for PIC32) binary since GPLed code is linked in. This is quite different from the C30 (for PIC24/dsPIC30/dsPIC33) case.
      GrosbaJ
      • Total Posts : 2
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/08 10:28:33 (permalink)
      Hi Xiaofan,

You're asking an excellent question, and it's one we spent a great deal of time and effort with ourselves in preparation for this product release. While I'm not a lawyer either, I believe I can address your questions, at least on a broad level.

The compiler, binutils (linker, assembler, etc.) have no restrictions on their use beyond those imposed by the GNU General Public License (v2). Many of the libraries, however, are offered under different license terms. It is to these libraries that the code size restrictions apply. To say it another way, if you build and use a different set of libraries (e.g., newlib), no code size restrictions will apply, as those restrictions apply only to the non-GPL components of the aggregation.

The reason you're seeing errors when building GCC is that the compiler build infrastructure expects to find some header files from the target standard library when configuring the compiler (this is part of standard GCC for libgcc, not something added by Microchip). To build, you'll need to either supply a set of header files for a standard C library (newlib would be my suggestion for a first pass since that's well integrated with many GCC builds), or tell GCC to build without using those headers (IIRC, the "--without-headers" option to the gcc/configure script will do this).

I hope this helps. Please let us know if there's anything still unclear.
      post edited by GrosbaJ - 2007/11/08 10:29:59

James Grosbach
      Microchip Technology
      xiaofan
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/08 16:39:42 (permalink)
      ORIGINAL: GrosbaJ
      The compiler, binutils (linker, assembler, etc.) have no restrictions on their use beyond those imposed by the GNU General Public License (v2). Many of the libraries, however, are offered under different license terms. It is to these libraries that the code size restrictions apply. To say it another way, if you build and use a different set of libraries (e.g., newlib), no code size restrictions will apply, as those restrictions apply only to the non-GPL components of the aggregation.

Thanks for the clarification. So the binaries do not have a code size limit but the libraries does. Am I right? I hope that Microchip can put a clear statement about this. Thanks.

The reason you're seeing errors when building GCC is that the compiler build infrastructure expects to find some header files from the target standard library when configuring the compiler (this is part of standard GCC for libgcc, not something added by Microchip). To build, you'll need to either supply a set of header files for a standard C library (newlib would be my suggestion for a first pass since that's well integrated with many GCC builds), or tell GCC to build without using those headers (IIRC, the "--without-headers" option to the gcc/configure script will do this).

I hope this helps. Please let us know if there's anything still unclear.

I tried the original C32 is configured as following (checked with the Wine installation under Linux) but it failed to build as explained by you.

C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPLAB C32\bin>pic32-gcc --v
      Reading specs from c:/Program Files/Microchip/MPLAB
      C32/bin/../lib/gcc/pic32mx/3.4.4/specs
      Configured with: ../src/configure --target=pic32mx
      --program-prefix=pic32- --enable-languages=c
      --prefix=/home/grosbaj/daytona-releases/pic32-microchip-release-1.00-rc3-20071024/pic32-tools
      --libexecdir=/home/grosbaj/daytona-releases/pic32-microchip-release-1.00-rc3-20071024/pic32-tools/pic32mx/bin
      --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --host=i386-mingw32 --disable-nls
      --disable-tui --disable-gdbtk --disable-shared --enable-static
      --disable-threads --disable-bootstrap --with-dwarf2 --enable-multilib
      --without-newlib --with-lib-path=:
      Thread model: posix
      gcc version 3.4.4 MPLAB C32 v1.00-20071024

And yes I can build C32 compiler with newlib included. The building of newlib will fail as it needs some effort to be built.

I downloaded the following and extract the source, newlib is there.
      http://www.mips.com/products/software-tools/software-tools/mips-sde-lite/

And then I copy the newlib directory to the PIC32 C32 source code directory and interestingly C32 gcc can be built. newlib failed to be built. So I think it might need some efforts to port newlib over.

mcuee@ubuntu710:~/Desktop/PIC32/src$
      ./configure --target=$TARGET --prefix=$PREFIX --without-headers --with-newlib
      --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --enable-languages=c

make all-gcc

sudo make install-gcc

mcuee@ubuntu710:~/Desktop/PIC32/src$ ls /opt/pic32mx/bin/
      pic32mx-addr2line pic32mx-bin2hex pic32mx-gcc pic32mx-gcov
      pic32mx-objcopy pic32mx-readelf pic32mx-strip
      pic32mx-ar pic32mx-c++filt pic32mx-gcc-3.4.4 pic32mx-ld
      pic32mx-objdump pic32mx-size
      pic32mx-as pic32mx-cpp pic32mx-gccbug pic32mx-nm
      pic32mx-ranlib pic32mx-strings

mcuee@ubuntu710:~/Desktop/PIC32/src$ pic32mx-gcc --v
      Reading specs from /opt/pic32mx/lib/gcc/pic32mx/3.4.4/specs
      Configured with: : (reconfigured) ./configure --target=pic32mx
      --prefix=/opt/pic32mx --without-headers --with-newlib --with-gnu-as
      --with-gnu-ld : (reconfigured) ./configure --target=pic32mx
      --prefix=/opt/pic32mx --with-newlib --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld :
      (reconfigured) ./configure --target=pic32mx --prefix=/opt/pic32mx
      --without-headers --with-newlib --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld
      --enable-languages=c
      Thread model: single

xiaofan
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/08 20:42:39 (permalink)
      By the way, I think C32/C30/C18 compilers are very reasonably priced (I will say quite cheap for professional grade compiler) and the upgrading policy is the best in class.

To maintain the header files and libraries files are a lot of work and they are worth the value. It is just I am a bit confused by exactly what "code size limit" means in this aspect. I do not see the license manager like the one in C30.

GrosbaJ
      • Total Posts : 2
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/09 12:57:53 (permalink)
      The distributed executables have no restrictions on their use beyond those imposed by the GNU General Public License (v2).

I've looked into your build issues a bit more. For obvious reasons, when we build the compiler internally, we are building with the library headers present, so this isn't a configuration that gets a lot of use around here.

It appears, at first pass anyway, that there is a spurious #include in mchp.h of string.h that is preventing libgcc2.c from building when the headers for the target are not available.

Index: gcc/config/pic32/mchp.h
      ===================================================================
      --- gcc/config/pic32/mchp.h (revision 679)
      +++ gcc/config/pic32/mchp.h (revision 680)
      @@ -19,7 +19,6 @@
      the Free Software Foundation, 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
      Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. */

-#include <string.h>

/* Macro for conditional compilation of C32 only stuff */
      #define TARGET_MCHP_PIC32MX 1

With that patch applied, the following configure line should result in a clean build.

$ ../src/configure --target=pic32mx --program-prefix=pic32 --enable-languages=c --prefix=$DEST --libexecdir=$DEST/pic32mx/bin --disable-nls --disable-tui --disable-gdbtk --disable-shared --enable-static --disable-threads --with-dwarf2 --enable-multilib --with-lib-path=: --without-headers

Beyond running 'make', this is completely untested, so please take with grain of salt. All the usual disclaimers about "no guarantees," "unsupported configuration," etc, etc, of course apply.

Thank you for your interest in PIC32 and MPLAB C32!
      xiaofan
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/09 17:20:08 (permalink)

The distributed executables have no restrictions on their use beyond those imposed by the GNU General Public License (v2).

I've looked into your build issues a bit more. For obvious reasons, when we build the compiler internally, we are building with the library headers present, so this isn't a configuration that gets a lot of use around here.

It appears, at first pass anyway, that there is a spurious #include in mchp.h of string.h that is preventing libgcc2.c from building when the headers for the target are not available.

Beyond running 'make', this is completely untested, so please take with grain of salt. All the usual disclaimers about "no guarantees," "unsupported configuration," etc, etc, of course apply.

Thanks a lot for the extra efforts to help this "unsupported" tests.

Now I know that the distributed executables have no restrictions. As you said before, the libraries (covered by MIPS license, Microchip License, etc) does let Microchip impose the code size limit. And this is quite reasonable since 3rd party support is also very important.

Thanks again!

xiaofan
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/09 17:55:58 (permalink)
      Tested under Ubuntu 7.04.

mcuee@mcuee-desktop:~/pic32mx/bin$ uname -a
      Linux mcuee-desktop 2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Sun Sep 23 19:50:39 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

mcuee@mcuee-desktop:~/pic32mx/bin$ ./pic32-gcc -v
      Reading specs from /home/mcuee/pic32mx/lib/gcc/pic32mx/3.4.4/specs
      Configured with: ../src/configure --target=pic32mx --program-prefix=pic32- --enable-languages=c --prefix=/home/mcuee/pic32mx --libexecdir=/home/mcuee/pic32mx/pic32mx/bin --disable-nls --disable-tui --disable-gdbtk --disable-shared --enable-static --disable-threads --with-dwarf2 --enable-multilib --with-lib-path=: --without-headers
      Thread model: single

If I copy the libraries and headers from the C32 Student version installation (under Wine), it can be used to build the examples (not tested on real hardware yet as I have not got the PIM module for my Explorer 16 board yet). I need to rename the peripheral libraries to use capital letter for the processor name.

mcuee@mcuee-desktop:~/Desktop/pic32/c32_examples/led_message/source$ pic32-gcc led_message.c -mprocessor=32MX360F512L -o led_message.elf
      mcuee@mcuee-desktop:~/Desktop/pic32/c32_examples/led_message/source$ pic32-bin2hex led_message.elf
      mcuee@mcuee-desktop:~/Desktop/pic32/c32_examples/led_message/source$ ls
      led_message.c led_message.elf led_message.hex
      xiaofan
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/09 19:27:15 (permalink)
      By the way, it seems that you are using a Linux computer and use the MinGW cross compiler to build the C32 toolchain. This is kind of interesting.

--prefix=/home/grosbaj/daytona-releases/pic32-microchip-release-1.00-rc3-20071024/pic32-tools
      --libexecdir=/home/grosbaj/daytona-releases/pic32-microchip-release-1.00-rc3-20071024/pic32-tools/pic32mx/bin
      --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --host=i386-mingw32
      xiaofan
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/11 16:34:01 (permalink)
      One more interesting thing is now gdb is built. I need to learn how to use gdb and check if it is working or not.

mcuee@ubuntu:~/pic32mx/bin$ uname -a
      Linux ubuntu 2.6.15-29-386 #1 PREEMPT Mon Sep 24 17:18:25 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

mcuee@ubuntu:~/pic32mx/bin$ ls
      pic32-addr2line pic32-cpp pic32-ld pic32-ranlib pic32-strip
      pic32-ar pic32-gcc pic32mx-gcc-3.4.4 pic32-readelf
      pic32-as pic32-gccbug pic32-nm pic32-run
      pic32-bin2hex pic32-gcov pic32-objcopy pic32-size
      pic32-c++filt pic32-gdb pic32-objdump pic32-strings

mcuee@ubuntu:~/pic32mx/bin$ ./pic32-gdb
      GNU gdb MPLAB C32 v1.00-20071024
      Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
      GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
      welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
      Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
      There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
      This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=pic32mx".
      (gdb)
      sjo
      Starting Member
      • Total Posts : 49
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/18 05:50:45 (permalink)
      ORIGINAL: xiaofan

By the way, it seems that you are using a Linux computer and use the MinGW cross compiler to build the C32 toolchain. This is kind of interesting.

--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --host=i386-mingw32

For info this is called a canadian cross, generally it is quicker and more reliable then using win32 for the build machine.

Cheers
      sjo
      xiaofan
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Student Edition 2007/11/19 05:40:56 (permalink)
      ORIGINAL: sjo
      For info this is called a canadian cross, generally it is quicker and more reliable then using win32 for the build machine.

I see. I've seen this before (gputils and sdcc come to mind). But C30 is built from Cygwin.
      ohmite
      • Total Posts : 156
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Compiler 2007/11/20 17:50:08 (permalink)

The MPLAB C32 C Compiler Student Edition installation works a little differently from the MPLAB C18 or MPLAB C30's installers. The MPLAB C32 Student Edition requires a license key to get the full 64KB allowed by the Student Edition. Once you download the MPLAB C32 installer, find the link to request a license key. You'll receive an email with your custom license key that will allow you to install the student edition.

Hope this helps!

Hello JasonK,
      Thanks for all your help on these issues.
      Another question.  Does your statement about a license key to obtain the full 64KB allowed for the Student Edition also apply to the case where one buys a PIC32 starter kit?  Mine arrived yesterday and I loaded everything in as the instructions describe, I went through the tutorial and rebuilt the example file and it all worked properly, I downloaded it to the PIC32 and ran it.  How do I find if I have the full 64KB? or is it a moot point since all of the license issues are taken care of on the version provided on the CD (versus the version downloaded from Microchip's website).
      Thanks again for your help,
      -Eric
      Kiwi Mike AZ
      • Total Posts : 2056
      RE: Installing the MPLAB C32 Compiler 2007/11/20 18:05:36 (permalink)
      ORIGINAL: ohmite
      Another question. Does your statement about a license key to obtain the full 64KB allowed for the Student Edition also apply to the case where one buys a PIC32 starter kit? Mine arrived yesterday and I loaded everything in as the instructions describe, I went through the tutorial and rebuilt the example file and it all worked properly, I downloaded it to the PIC32 and ran it. How do I find if I have the full 64KB? or is it a moot point since all of the license issues are taken care of on the version provided on the CD (versus the version downloaded from Microchip's website).

The free version supplied with the PIC32 Starter Kit is the 32K limited version Found out yesterday by trying to compile a large program.

The Student Edition just requires registering on the website to get the key.

Run the Updater from:

START->All Programs->Microchip->MPLAB C32->MPLAB C32 Upgrader

Seems that C32 is the FULL version and the Keys determine the code size limitation.

Note the code size limit is in BYTES - the Memory window on MPLAB shows program size in 32bit words.

Mike
      Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
      Jump to:
      © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5