AnsweredPIC16F1455 Programming problem with PicKit3

Author
Brian_Stu
  • Total Posts : 35
  • Reward points : 0
2017/04/02 08:44:15 (permalink)

PIC16F1455 Programming problem with PicKit3

Hi,
I'm having problems trying to program my PIC16F1455 with my PicKit3 (using High Voltage Programming) ie not LVP.
Summary:
Message received
"
Connecting to MPLAB PICkit 3...

Currently loaded firmware on PICkit 3
Firmware Suite Version.....01.47.12
Firmware type..............Enhanced Midrange

Programmer to target power is enabled - VDD = 4.625000 volts.
Target Device ID (0x0) is an Invalid Device ID. Please check your connections to the Target Device.

Device Erased...

Programming...

The following memory area(s) will be programmed:
program memory: start address = 0x0, end address = 0x7ff
configuration memory
program memory
Address: 0 Expected Value: 3180 Received Value: 0
Failed to program device
"
There doesn't seem to be a connection problem because...
If I change the programming options to "Enable Low Voltage Programming" then it programs OK (but I have to change the CONFIG2 LVP bit).

I've checked the Vpp (as best I can with a DVM) and momentarily see 8.9V (but this is after the warning message that the wrong ID was received, and clicking OK to continue). I tried using the slowest programming too.

I've checked that the programming option "Apply Vpp before Vdd (Recommended)" is set... and tried without!

The device is in a header board with no additional components or circuitry, it's just a Textool socket and power is being supplied by PicKit3 from my laptop USB (I've had to reduce to 4.75V because the USB seems a bit low).

I've also tried using the "Program to go" feature and this fails also. Sometimes the status light flashes ".." sometimes ".-" (a longer 2nd flash). I've tried powering the USB from 2 different laptops and 2 USB power sockets (mains standalone) with the same result.

So what you may think, If I can program it in LVP mode, why don't I just do that.... Because I'm trying to use the MCLR pin as RA3 (digital input), this cannot be used in LVP.  Some of this was covered in an earlier thread I raised about the use of the RA0 & RA1 inputs but that was solved. I raised this as a new thread because it's a different issue (I think).

Is there a way to "single step" through the programming (Vpp & Vdd power application) so I can see what's actually going on?
Is there another way to get round this problem?
Is there a unique issue with the 1455 that the PicKit3 can't see it in normal (High Voltage Proramming mode)?

I don't have access to an oscilloscope or any test gear other than my trusty DVM. - I'm a retired old git!

PS I can program a 12F683 part without problem - that has Vpp of 10-13V.
NorthGuy
  • Total Posts : 6288
Re: PIC16F1455 Programming problem with PicKit3 2017/04/02 10:27:20 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Brian_Stu 2017/04/02 11:10:08
+2 (2)
The RA0/RA1 pins can only be used for LVP. It sits on D-/D+ which is very cute because you can re-use USB connector for production programming. There's another pin pair which can also be used for HVP and debugging - RC0/RC1.

It really pays to use non-USB part when you don't need USB :)
Brian_Stu
  • Total Posts : 35
Re: PIC16F1455 Programming problem with PicKit3 2017/04/02 10:58:26 (permalink)
+1 (1)
NorthGuy
The RA0/RA1 pins can only be used for LVP. It sits on D-/D+ which is very cute because you can re-use USB connector for production programming. There's another pin pair which can also be used for HVP and debugging - RC0/RC1.

It really pays to use non-USB part when you don't need USB :)

:) :)
DejaVu! I didn't find it cute!
I really hadn't spotted that the clk & data pins were different for HV and LV. I ASSumed they were the same.
Now that I look at the datasheet again it's clearly there (someone must've changed the datasheet when I wasn't looking-- even my downloaded copy HaHa).
I've spent the last 2 hours buzzing out my "UNIVERSAL" programming header with it's 40pin ZIF Textool socket and 7 sets of jumpers and can't see any combination of insertion and jumper combination to suit the DIP16 PIC16F1455 to provide clk & data on pins 9 & 10. So my "UNIVERSAL" programming header is NOT SO UNIVERSAL after all.

Stuck the PIC in my breadboard and wire linked it correctly to my PICKit3 with clk to pin 9 and data to pin 10 (not 12 & 13 as suggested by the "UNIVERSAL 16pin INSTRUCTIONS" and BINGO! it programmed!!!!!
I knew there was another GOTCHA lurking in there somewhere.
As for my using a USB part, well I'm using it because I have it, that's all I have apart from a 12F683 which is too low on pins. but as I said previously I would agree with you.

Guess it's mission accomplished... Now to try my project with it's full code.

Many thanks.Smile: Smile
JorgeF
  • Total Posts : 3345
Re: PIC16F1455 Programming problem with PicKit3 2017/04/02 11:43:22 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Hi

K.I.S.S.
Forget about the programmer, universla or not.
Just put the PIC in a piece of bread board with 5 short wires from the Pickit3 connector to the pins directly.

Best regards
Jorge

PStechPaul
  • Total Posts : 2919
Re: PIC16F1455 Programming problem with PicKit3 2017/04/02 17:29:31 (permalink)
+1 (1)
My universal programming adapter from Microchip is truly universal, but I had to add a 5 pin header so I can use a PICkit3 instead of the ICD2 with the 6 position RJ modular phone connector. I have found it handy for quickly programming and testing simple projects that use a DIP part.

Jump to:
© 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5