Hot!BM64_EVB

Author
adverity
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
2017/03/30 07:01:21 (permalink)

BM64_EVB

Dear All,

I've spent a whole day with the BM64_EVB and it is driving me mad/is rather disappointing.

Out of the box I remember it syncs with the phone and plays audio and phone calls.

Having followed the User Guide, I've reprogrammed the EEPROM and used the GUI (UART UI) However I can only get this to work with the headphone and not the AMP.

It would appear that the PIC is put into reset when USB is connected (by the comment in the schematic)... and the PIC controls the AMP I assume ?  Why can we not just the UART GUI and AMP together ?

Having removed the UART GUI cable I am trying to get the PIC (and AMP) to run again, However, I see a 11 second periodic reset,  The pic appears to turn the UART on (TxD goes high), after 1 second there is a message on the TxD line but no reply (Rx), then 5 seconds laster the UART line (TxD) goes low for another 5 seconds, and the sequence starts over again.

Is the lack of reply on the RX line the reason for this reset ? any ideas how to make this work again.
I notice with the UART GUI, there are 2 messages sent with the POWER ON command and a reply...

The instructions and overview of how it works are somewhat lacking in detail.  Why no source code for the PIC ?

Thanks,
Adrian

4 Replies Related Threads

adverity
    Re: BM64_EVB 2017/04/03 12:46:49 (permalink)
    3 (1)
    Dear All,
    Here is an update.

The PIC MCU baudrate appears to be 19k2 but the UI config tool software defaults to 115k2, (there is a screen shot in the manual that also has the baudrate set to 115k2), I imagine this is why the PIC won't talk to the BM64 module once you reflash the EEPROM...  However I cannot set the baudrate to 19k2 and test becuase today my board appears to have blown up!,  I left the power (+15v) connected over the weekend and now the USB port is not recognised when plugged in - this appears to be due to the RESET (RST_N) line been low.  The USB/UART interface chip is ok (if you pull this out of reset (manually) then the USB enumerates) but something somewhere isn't very happy.

It appears to be the most odd evaluation board microchip has even produced.  The board has the 3W amplifier, yamaha DSP and buttons which can only be used with the PIC but there is no source code to allow you to play with this side of the baord, nor does there appear to be a generally available programming manual for the Yamaha DSP. 

The MCU also appears to run at a different baud rate to the BM64 module, so that once programmed only works with the headphone socket and the undocumented (and totally unmentioned) SPKCommandsetTool (UART GUI). 

There is no overview of what you can or cannot do with the board, or any manual on how to actually program the moudles (the command set).  The UART GUI does log the messages but the order of sending message is left to the user to work out for themselves.

I assume that an "Evalulation" Board isn't a "Development" Board, and the board is only meant to show you that you can connect a smart phone to a BM64 module - (for a couple of hours but not more than 48 !).

At least it appears that microchip is going to replace my board.

I would be interested to hear how others have got on with this board - and whether anyone got the AMP/DSP to work after updating the EEPROM !

Thanks,
    Adrian

jeremyvnc@gmail.com
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: BM64_EVB 2017/04/10 18:45:50 (permalink)
    Just a quick and possibly stupid question but it sounds as if the BM64 UART isn't enabled (which is default).  Check this in your UI utility tool.  You can even change the baud to 19200 and see if that works.
    adverity
    Re: BM64_EVB 2017/04/25 09:43:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply Jeremyvnc.

I have now had my board replaced and the USB to Serial port is again recognised when you plug in the USB lead.

I have confirmed that the buadrate of the demoboard PIC is 19k2 (and not 115200).  Therfore if you follow the supplied instructions once you program the eeprom then it only works with the PC application assuming you set the baudtate of the UI utility to 115200.

Plugging in the USB lead and setting the Serial Port Baudrate to 19200 allows the UI tool to talk to the baord.  I can control A2DP etc, but haven't worked out how to get audio out - It would appear to not be possible without reprogramming the EEPROM for analogue audio, I can see the I2S is active when A2DP is playing but as the PIC is held in reset when the USB is connected, then there is no way for the Yamaha DSP to be initialised.

The Demo board is a total waste of money, and I've wasted so much time messing around with it to find this out.  I was hoping to use it as 'development' baord to allow me to develop my application.  Which is what the BlueCreation BC127 development baord is...

Thanks,
    Adrian

griffin.haas1@gmail.com
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: BM64_EVB 2019/06/27 22:17:51 (permalink)
    Wow, I've tried my eval board with a dozen configurations with both firmware versions, read the datasheets many times and I could never get it to work. I've scoured the internet and haven't found anything except finally this post. Adverity is correct, the PIC is running at 19.2k baud even though it says it NOWHERE is the documentation. Setting it in the UI Tool gave me an .ipf file that actually works on the EVAL board. Thank you!
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5