Hot!RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10

Author
CptPhoton
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
2017/01/03 12:56:27 (permalink)
3 (2)

RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10

I've started running into an odd issue when working with the RN-42 Bluetooth module and Windows 10. I'm getting a really inconsistent behaviour between different computers where, after pairing the device with the computer, it does not always generate the COM port and the Bluetooth SPP service.

Is this a known issue with a work-around?

17 Replies Related Threads

RISC
    • Total Posts : 4591
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/01/13 13:15:21 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Hvae you checked you have the latest firmware for RN42 : http://www.microchip.com/design-centers/wireless-connectivity (firmware tab)
    Regards

CptPhoton
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/01/15 11:43:23 (permalink)
    No improvement with the RN42. Same behavior on the same devices. Older devices seem to connect better. 

It's looking like the RN42 is no longer viable for new designs. 
    CptPhoton
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/01/15 14:41:29 (permalink)
    3 (1)
    Since I was testing the updated RN-42 I picked up an RN4677 as well. This module had significant issues just pairing to a variety of computers.
    post edited by CptPhoton - 2017/01/15 15:44:51
    RISC
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/01/15 16:02:39 (permalink)
    Hi,

I found a couple of interesting articles on Windows 10 & bluetooth support :

https://msdn.microsoft.co...dn133849(v=vs.85).aspx

So apparently SPP profile (Bluetooth classic) is still be supported in Windows 10.

I'm not sure if all PCs with Windows 10 have an internal dual mode bluetooth device which supports both Bluetooth classic and bluetooth low energy. You need to investigate the internal bluetooth chipset and verify it does support classic. If not RN42 cannot connect...

Regards

CptPhoton
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/01/15 16:24:25 (permalink)
    RISC
    Hi,

I found a couple of interesting articles on Windows 10 & bluetooth support :

https://msdn.microsoft.co...dn133849(v=vs.85).aspx

So apparently SPP profile (Bluetooth classic) is still be supported in Windows 10.

I'm not sure if all PCs with Windows 10 have an internal dual mode bluetooth device which supports both Bluetooth classic and bluetooth low energy. You need to investigate the internal bluetooth chipset and verify it does support classic. If not RN42 cannot connect...

Regards

It pairs with all Windows 10 computers I've tried. But on half of them the module does not broadcast the Bluetooth serial service which makes it useless. On some computers I can recover by rolling back drivers. Others I need to install a USB Bluetooth adapter. Others, there is no combination of drivers and USB dongles that allows the module to create the needed COM ports to be used. 

It seems partially implemented and unusable in anything other than a hobby project.
    EwenF
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/09/12 05:43:57 (permalink)
    I was not able to connect to an RN42 module from Win 10 until I changed the authentication mode from 1 (default) to 2 using RN42 CMD SA,2. Note that I found this described in the user guide RN-BT-DATA-UG Version 1.0r 3/26/13.
    Prior to that Win 10 would see the RN42 module but would ask if the modules PIN matched a 6-digit value, but the RN42 only has a 4-digit pin. If I clicked YES it failed to connect. I assume this was because Win 10 is not compatible with the default authentication.
    joab
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/09/14 07:27:29 (permalink)
    3 (1)

It seems partially implemented and unusable in anything other than a hobby project.

Windows 10? Most companies still use 7. Have ever seen the guts of an ATM? They have a PC with Windows XP!.
    I know, people change to W10 as soon as they can. Better? Well... Was something wrong before?
    Bluetooth itself is changing rapidly, Mchip just try to follow the new specs. They don't spec Bluetooth.
    It's one of the cons of enjoying 'the latest'. Nothing is well-known. Look at it this way.
    RISC
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/09/16 04:47:59 (permalink)
    3 (1)
    Hi,
    Bluetooth classic is on the market for 10 years. I used RN42 and other RN products for years without issues. 
    New OS tend to concentrate on new standards and don't care about legacy ones (no testing) which generate troubles for long existing  industrial products. Windows 10 daily patches create lots of issues for these legacy products which implement properly existing protocols.
    As mentioned above windows 7 has no issues with these modules.
    Regards
    vincenzo.pappano
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/09/19 13:14:12 (permalink)
    Hi,

I have used the RN4677 module with Windows 7 (we are one of the companies mentioned by Joab). I can connect to the module without problems ...

Best,
    Vincenzo
    pyplos
    • Total Posts : 29
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/10/03 02:48:50 (permalink)
    Dear RISC!

can you tell me wehre I can download the v6.30 firmware?

RN42-I/RM v6.15 firmware
    RN42-I/RM v6.30 firmware

at the following link I can not find the DFU-file which is needed by the microchip bluetooth device firmware upgrade utility
    http://www.microchip.com/design-centers/wireless-connectivity/bluetooth

also on the product page ther is no firmware link !?!
    http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/RN42

the only thin I can find is the releasenotes ;-)
    http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/RN41&RN42v6.30_release_notes.pdf

but where can i donwload the firmware?

thank you for your support and help, best regards, pyplos
    pyplos
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/10/03 05:42:52 (permalink)
    Dear forum members
    I have also the issue, that sometimes no COM board is visible for the RN42 in SPP. I have this issue also in windows 7.

Typical procedure to generate this issue.
    1)pair the RN42 module with the PC
    2)connect with Hterm to the COM-interface (everything works fine)
    3) disconnect and switch off the PC and switch off the RN42-I/RM
    4) wait till next morning
    5) boot the pc
    6) switch on the RN42-I/RM (switch on the power supply, wait 150ms then pull down the Reset pin)
    7) try to connect to the COM-board -> ERROR: the COM-board is not working
    • if the GPIO5-Pin is measured once can see a square wave signal with a frequency of ~2Hz (connection ready)
    • With other PCs it is possible to pair the RN42, but also no COM-board is visible
    • After a reboot most of the time it is possible to connect to the COM interface

It is not guaranteed to reproduce the missing COM-board with this procedure, but most of the time no COM-board is visible the next morning.
    If there was no pairing done and the RN42-I/RM is witched on in the morning, once can pair the RN42 and connect without issues to the COM-interface.  

Are there settings stored (in EEPROM) to the RN42-I/RM if it is paired to a PC. Is the RN42-I/RM booted with this settings after Reset?

Setup:
    Windows 10, windows 7 (issue on both OS)
    RN42-I/RM with v6.15 firmware

thank you for your help, best regards, pyplos

post edited by pyplos - 2017/10/03 05:49:58
    pyplos
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/10/03 23:51:34 (permalink)
    Yesterday I got the following answer from the microchip support to my support ticket:

About the RN42 firmware, starting with v6.30 the modules can be updated with the firmware, however the previous firmware versions cannot be updated in the field. Please see the following KB article available on the Microchip website for more details: https://microchip.secure....amp;fs=Search&pn=1

vincenzo.pappano
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/10/04 09:25:47 (permalink)
    Pyplos,

Do you have the same issue if using the default settings (SF,1) ?

In other words, if you reset the chip to factory defaults, and then you go through steps (1) through (7), do you get the same error message?

Best,
    Vincenzo
    pyplos
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/10/05 02:27:41 (permalink)
    Dear Vincenzo!
    Thank you for your answer!

I will try to do the tests with the factory settings in an overnight test on four RN42 modules. But the procedure (step 1 to 7) is no guaranty to reproduce the error. This night I tested 8 modules and there was no error.

I check the differences between the current settings and the factory settings, the main difference is the baud (115k vs. 19k2) and the authentication mode (mode 1 vs. mode 2).   

Further note
    The RN42 is also not connectable form another PC after the issue happens on the first PC which is turned off after the issue (there is no more a link between the pc where the issue happens and the RN42). Is the RN42 still waiting for something, to close the corrupt link (to the first PC)?

In the rn42 user manual I found at page 50 (subsection 3.7.5 common Issues) the following info:
    3.7.5.1 MY BLUETOOTH CLIENT CAN SEE THE FIREFLY MODULE AND ITS SERIAL SERVICE, BUT I CAN’T CONNECT
    This issue is most likely caused by a security setting on your client. The FireFly module supports authentication by default if the client requires it (with the default pin code of 1234), but for ease of use, you may want to turn security off on your client. Some clients have these settings turned off by default, others have them turned on. To check and disable security, perform the following steps from a Windows PC:
    1. Click My Bluetooth Places.
    2. Click the Client Applicationstab under Bluetooth Device Configuration (or Advanced Configuration).
    3. Click the Bluetooth serial port application name.
    4. Click the Properties button.
    5. If Secure connection, Authentication, or Encryption is turned on, turn it off.
    6. Click OK.

So I think, testing with SF,1 is a good idea. But it would be better so set(check) the encryption to on at windows 10 But I can’t find these settings in windows 10?

Thank you for your help and your helpful suggestions, pyplos
    pyplos
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/10/06 00:29:04 (permalink)
    Dear Vincenzo!
    I did an overnight test with 16 units and 2 PCs.
    PC1:
    • 4 units with authen = 1 (SSP keyboard I/Omode)
    • 4 units with authen = 0 (open mode)
    PC2:
    • 4 units with authen = 1
    • 4 units with authen = 0
    There were no connection issues on all 16 units (all 16 units offered a COM-board).

Till Monday I will expand the test with the original configuration. Add 8 units with authen = 2, which is our current configuration.

So the next test setup will be:
    PC1
    • 3 units with authen = 0 (open mode)
    • 3 units with authen = 1 (SSP keyboard I/Omode)
    • 2 units with authen = 2 (SSP “just works” mode)
    PC2
    • 3 units with authen = 0
    • 2 units with authen = 1
    • 3 units with authen = 2
    PC3
    • 2 units with authen = 0
    • 3 units with authen = 1
    • 3 units with authen = 2

If the test result on Monday shows issues with the units with authen = 2 and the other units work fine (authen = 0 and authen = 1), than we know, that there is an issue with authen=2 mode.

Thanks for your suggestion to change the authen mode, best wishes, pyplos
    post edited by pyplos - 2017/10/06 00:57:31
    pyplos
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/10/10 01:19:31 (permalink)
    Dear forum members!

I did the tests the last days and I found out, that there is no difference between our configuration and the factory reset configuration. The issue comes across on booth configuration with the same distribution (maybe windows is the issuesad: sadpink: pink).

I did the tests with the standard windows Bluetooth stack. Yesterday I changed the Bluetooth stack. I use the Toshiba Bluetooth stack. With the standard Bluetooth stack, most of the time we need more than one connection attempt to get a working connection (sometimes 5 or 10 attempts). The first tests with the Toshiba Bluetooth stack show, that it works always with the first try. So maybe the Toshiba Bluetooth stack is a solution for our issue. I will do further tests the next days with the Toshiba stack and inform you about the results.

best wishes, pyplos
    pyplos
    Re: RN42 Connectivity issue and Windows 10 2017/10/12 07:55:55 (permalink)
    Dear Forum Members!

The Toshiba bluetooth stack is also no solution for my application, because the Toshiba Bluetooth stack provides always an opened com-board. Always means, that you can also open the com-board of a switched off Bluetooth device. You get no data from the com-board, but it is possible to open it (when the device is switched off)sad: sad

So I think the reason for the not reachable COM-board of the RN42 is a OS issue. The crazy thing is, if the RN42 came in this state it is not possible to pair it with any pc. Furthermore, it does not help to switch off the PC or disconnect the Bluetooth dongle from the pc where the issue happened.  The Rn42 is then still “frozen” and does not allow a new connection to an other PC till it is resetpink: pink.

Best wishes, pyplos
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5