• AVR Freaks

Harmony Configurator Plugin - Possible to run from command line?

Author
haydenb
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 0
2016/04/14 16:27:42 (permalink)

Harmony Configurator Plugin - Possible to run from command line?

Hi all,

I am in the process of setting up a continuous integration system in order to build our PIC32MZ project from scratch every day.
Ideally I would like to be able to take a copy of a fresh installation of the Harmony Framework and then be able to do the following:
  1. Check out my MPLAB X IDE app project from our own source control repository and transplant the project source into the Harmony apps folder.
  2. Run the Harmony Code Configurator (MHC) to generate the required source framework config and add the necessary files to the project as dictated by the latest version of Harmony.
  3. Generate an updated makefile by starting MPLAB X IDE from the command line in non-GUI mode.
  4. Build the app project directly using XC32 to produce a hex file.

For Step 2, does anybody know if it is possible to invoke and run the Harmony Code Configurator netbeans plugin from a Windows or Linux command line autonomously with parameters, without having to start MPLAB X IDE and manually run the configurator with user input?

Thanks in advance for any help/info provided
haydenb
NKurzman
A Guy on the Net
  • Total Posts : 17349
Re: Harmony Configurator Plugin - Possible to run from command line? 2016/04/14 18:58:55 (permalink)
1. Ia Not Absolutely Necessary.  You can have it in any tree on the same Drive as Harmony.  The top folder of the project must be named "firmware"

You Know that you will need to manual Merge Some of the Generated System Files?
martinw7750
  • Total Posts : 295
Re: Harmony Configurator Plugin - Possible to run from command line? 2016/04/15 00:06:14 (permalink)
Agreed - I have the following folder setup:

c:\pic32\Harmony

c:\pic32\project1\firmware

I have Harmony checked in to version control.  I remove the Harmony version number from the path.
When a new version of Harmony comes out, I check the cahnged into version control.  Takes a while!

The first time you open MHC within your project, it asks you for the path to Harmony

NKurzman
A Guy on the Net
  • Total Posts : 17349
Re: Harmony Configurator Plugin - Possible to run from command line? 2016/04/15 05:58:54 (permalink)
MHC also has a button that allows you to chan the harmony version.
UIG
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: Harmony Configurator Plugin - Possible to run from command line? 2016/04/20 09:54:51 (permalink)
3 (1)
Hi,

Run the Harmony Code Configurator (MHC) to generate the required source framework config and add the necessary files to the project as dictated by the latest version of Harmony.

This feature is forthcoming.  We have an internal version of MHC that does this but there are still some roadblocks to overcome like intelligently merging code in the absence of a diff window.

Generate an updated makefile by starting MPLAB X IDE from the command line in non-GUI mode.

I believe MPLABX includes its standalone make file generator (executable java jar).  It should be with the MPLABX install files.

MCU32 User Interface Group (MHC/Graphics/Touch)
haydenb
Starting Member
Re: Harmony Configurator Plugin - Possible to run from command line? 2016/04/25 20:48:35 (permalink)
Hi all,

Thanks for all the helpful replies and 'inside' info on the forthcoming improvements of the Harmony Configurator.

I was aware of the ability to run projects outside of the Harmony tree. I sort-of defaulted to placing the app project files in the same folder for ease of locating them mainly. But yes, mainly only located there for superficial reasons and no reason they couldn't be elsewhere.

I think for now we'll have to manually transplant the updated code generator output into the project ... with plans to eventually use the new way to invoke the configurator once it is ready.
I'll look forward to an upcoming release then in the meantime, and will definitely check out the standalone project makefile generator. That sounds like a much cleaner way to get a build going.

Thanks very much again for all your help.
hayden
haydenb
Starting Member
Re: Harmony Configurator Plugin - Possible to run from command line? 2016/05/02 14:49:05 (permalink)
5 (1)
For those reading this later on and would like to know how to use the makefile generator mentioned above:

The makefile generator is a script named prjMakefilesGenerator.sh (Linux) or prjMakefilesGenerator.bat (Windows) that is installed with the MPLAB X IDE that sets up and runs a portable java-based makefile generator (PrjMakefilesGenerator.jar), found in 'mplab_ide/lib'.

For both the Linux and Windows build environments the executable scripts can be found in your MPLAB X IDE installation folder under "mplabx/{{MPLAB X IDE version}}mplab_ide/bin". You might like to add this directory to your path environment variable to make accessing it more convenient.

If you execute the script with the path to the project folder passed as the first argument, the script will generate the necessary makefiles for your project. E.g.

$ prjMakefilesGenerator.sh ~/my_mplab_project.X

Happy compiling
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5