Hot!Unable to add watch variables

Author
dwayner
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
2015/12/14 15:07:11 (permalink)

Unable to add watch variables

Good day to all.

I'm a long-time MPLAB user who is now doing his first project with MPLAB-X.  My current problem is that I am not able to add any of my RAM variables to the MPLAB-X watch window.

I'm currently using MPLAB-X version 3.15 with a Real-ICE and Emulation Header for the 16F1782.  My code is written in absolute mode and I currently assign RAM variables using the cblock & endc directives.

The symptom is that although I can watches for special function registers, I am NOT able to add any of my declared RAM variables.

A quick Google search brings up others with similar problems but the solution is not given in those conversations - the threads just stop.

Can someone tell me what I have to change in my source code to allow MPLAB-X to display my user variables in a watch window?

Many thanks!

dwayne

6 Replies Related Threads

ric
    • Total Posts : 23859
    Re: Unable to add watch variables 2015/12/14 15:12:19 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    dwayner
    Can someone tell me what I have to change in my source code to allow MPLAB-X to display my user variables in a watch window?

I suspect the only change that will work is to move from absolute mode to linking mode.

I also post at: PicForum
    Links to useful PIC information: http://picforum.ric323.co...opic.php?f=59&t=15
    NEW USERS: Posting images, links and code - workaround for restrictions.
    To get a useful answer, always state which PIC you are using!
    dwayner
    Re: Unable to add watch variables 2015/12/14 15:46:24 (permalink)
    Can you point me towards a tutorial or instructions on how to modify my source code from absolute mode to relocatable?  I'm truly not looking forward to having to mess with linker files - they seem to be a continuing source of problems for relocatable-code newbies like myself.

Many thanks!

dwayne
    DarioG
    Allmächtig.
    • Total Posts : 54081
    Re: Unable to add watch variables 2015/12/14 15:50:25 (permalink)
    You should not even need a linker file - the MPLAB will pick a standard one for you Smile

GENOVA :D :D ! GODO
    GeorgePauley
    • Total Posts : 1160
    Re: Unable to add watch variables 2015/12/15 08:55:05 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    MPLAB X automatically handles so much of the relocatable stuff when creating new projects that the "art" of converting from absolute to relocatable is becoming lost.  I would suggest reading chapter 6 of the MPASM manual which gives examples of both relocatable and absolute.  http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/33014L.pdf

I can never remember all the rules for what's visible and what's not in assembly files.  But I usually just "punt" and make variables I really want to see global.  <chuckle>  But if you are in absolute mode, that means you know the address of your variables.  I think you can add to the watch window based on address?
    dwayner
    Re: Unable to add watch variables 2015/12/15 16:11:43 (permalink)
    +4 (4)
    I found my problem with the help of Microchip Support: it turns out that I had NOT checked the "Absolute Mode" check box in the MPASM portion of the project settings menu.

Upon ticking that box and rebuilding my project, I could now add my RAM variables to a watch window in MPLAB-X.

I appreciate the help and I'm documenting my findings so that the next person who runs into this problem might have an easier time than I did.

Many thanks!

dwayne
    lewjoubert
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: Unable to add watch variables 2019/06/19 23:05:28 (permalink)
    When building in ASM.
    Project properties -> MPASM ->check "Absolute Mode"
    Declare variable eg:
        cnt3        EQU 0x23
        CNT4       EQU 0x24
    How to load a variable, highlight the variable in your source code, right click in watch window or on the highlighted variable in the source code -> Add New Watch and it appears highlighted in the watch window - click OK.
    This worked for me, both absolute and relocatable.
    MPLABX v5.20

A monkey in silk is a monkey no less - Rodriguez.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5