• AVR Freaks

MPLABX Instances - How To Identify, Compile, and 3*MicrostickII

Author
Paul PortSol
  • Total Posts : 456
  • Reward points : 0
2015/11/05 11:50:35 (permalink)

MPLABX Instances - How To Identify, Compile, and 3*MicrostickII

I have a PIC32MZ-EC and three MicrostickII all in a daisy chain RS-485 loop, using HarmonyV106.
I'm trying to get multiple MPLABXv315 to properly communicate with each so I can debug each live.

I have the shortcuts for 4 instances of MPLABX using: --userdir instancepath
- i.e. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLABX\v3.15\mplab_ide\bin\mplab_ide.exe" --userdir D:\MPLABX\IDEs\mplab_ide_A
- Each has its own plugins installed

Issues:
a) Is there any way to set the IDE Window name to show the Instance?

b) The three Microsticks use the same project, is there any way to get the MPLAB Instance identified in the compile?
(possibly by a Macro defined in MPLAB instead of Project properties?)
(possibly by a command line option similar to --userdir)
(possibly by an include file set in MPLab Instance independent of Project properties)

c) Run - Set Project Configuration - Hardware Tool - Microchip Sytarter Kits - Starter Kits (PKOB)
- The PIC32MZ is sometimes showing up twice
- Only two of the threes Microsticks are showing up
Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
*I do like that you can double click on a kit and give it a name (For me simple A,B,C for the Microsticks)

Paul

1 Reply Related Threads

Paul PortSol
    • Total Posts : 456
    • Reward points : 0
    Re: MPLABX Instances - How To Identify, Compile, and 3*MicrostickII 2015/11/06 12:24:37 (permalink)
    This mostly works:
    ------------
    A. MPLABX *Multiple Instances* (Possibly Max 5 instances according to some notes)
    1. Create shortcuts with "--userdir" for each instance
    2. Shortcut InstanceA Target:
       "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLABX\v3.15\mplab_ide\bin\mplab_ide.exe" --userdir "D:\MPLABX\IDEs\mplab_ide_A
    3. Shortcut InstanceB Target:
       "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLABX\v3.15\mplab_ide\bin\mplab_ide.exe" --userdir "D:\MPLABX\IDEs\mplab_ide_B

B. Instance label and instance compile options
    1. Rename master project folder (App16.X to App16a) so cleanly see instance (a,b,c...).
    2. Copy master project folder to duplicates: App16a to App16b, App16c (these share same source code).
    3. Open each project duplicate in a different MPLABX instance, the project folder name becomes the Instance identifier
    4. Create a define for optional instance specific compiling (i.e. identifirer in a printf or packet):
    4a. Project - Properties - xc32-gcc - Preprocessor and messaging - Preprocessor Macros - *D_RemA* (or D_RemB...)

C. Source code changes carry between instances, but project & harmony settings don't (compile options, add/remove files, ...)
    ** To resync the projects exit all MPLABX, delete the duplicate folders, and repeat from step B2.

D. When running multiple targets it seems to fail programming sometimes. I'm going to get a better hub as it seems more reliable for ports directly on the PC, possibly poor hub even though powered, TBD.
    post edited by Paul PortSol - 2015/11/06 12:27:07
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5