Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback

Author
floatingpoint
  • Total Posts : 201
  • Reward points : 0
2015/02/09 18:05:58 (permalink)

Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback

Hi All,

Our local Microchip office has recently promoted this IDE for PIC32s.

Are there any active users out there?
If so, can you provide your thoughts as to the quality and speed of this IDE?

I am currently on MPLAB8, Win7 32Bit mid range lap top.

Thanking you in advance.

FP
post edited by floatingpoint - 2015/02/09 18:08:44

18 Replies Related Threads

woody244
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2015/02/10 09:13:24 (permalink)
    Sadly it seems dead to me.  My post was the first in Months.  I tried to install the plugins in Eclipse Luna on Windows and it did not work.  I have yet to try with Keppler or Juno.  I know they require Java 1.6 and it seems Luna requires 1.7.  I then did the install of the full IDE.  This mostly worked in Windows but their gdb did not run.  I was trying to test using the simulator beacuse the free version does not support the realICE which I have.  Based on the install I much perfer the Eclipse plugin approach since you use Eclipse as is.  The app version interface seems rather different without options to install plugins.  At least they are not in the same place.  If you are not familiar with Eclipse this may not be an issue.  I have been completely unsucessful in getting anything to work on my MAC even though I have only Java 1.6 installed.  I have post both here and sent an email directly to viosoft and have heard nothing.  Sadly, at this point it seems relatively unsupported with very little community interest.  Base on my experience so far I would stay away from it since I think you will be on your own with little help.  I did indicate my interest in purchasing the license if I could get it to work and still nothing.  I am looking at using the J-Link from Segger with a standalone Eclipse as an alternative.  This uses GDB from Code sourcery and the ARM plugin to connect with the GDB server.  There is a gui version of this for windows.  This now supports PIC32 so it seems more viable and I actually for a response on the forum there. 

Woody
    woody244
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2015/02/10 13:50:00 (permalink)
    I have gotten the simulator working by adding the path to the simulator to my system path.  The sim seems to work on a Win7 platform.  I have installed Juno to test plugins as this is still my perferred approach.

I decided to call Viosoft and they have received my issue on OSX and are working on the issue.  So there are some signs of life here.
    floatingpoint
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2015/02/10 15:26:16 (permalink)
    woody244
    I have gotten the simulator working by adding the path to the simulator to my system path.  The sim seems to work on a Win7 platform.  I have installed Juno to test plugins as this is still my perferred approach.

I decided to call Viosoft and they have received my issue on OSX and are working on the issue.  So there are some signs of life here.

Thanks for update.

Curious that Australian Microchip office has recently pushed this.
    Perhaps some resources are being added to Arriba development/ support?

As it is I can't see myself going to MPLABX anytime soon.
    Last time I tried with a large PIC32 project everything came to a grinding halt.
    Nothing I've seen on the forums suggests that this has changed significantly.
    MPLAB8 works fast and well for me but sadly, still unable to go with any new PIC32s.

FP
    woody244
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2015/02/10 15:48:23 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    MPLABX has improved the PIC32 support, I just cant stand the Netbeans interface.  My biggest concern would be that you are still channeling through a microchip communications interface and the simulator would still be microchips.  You can always edit in Eclipse and use external makefiles for your projects.  I have had success with this, and I just create an external make project in MPLAB.  I hate having the second IDE open just for debugging.  I think you may find the segger approach will separate you completely from the microchip debugger path since it is Segger's J-link and they provide the gdb server.  You use the Code Sourcery GDB for windows to connect to their server.  It is small investment for the hobby/edu version of J-Link to test it out.  I am evaluating this for OSX but getting GDB for MIPS is less straightforward on OSX.  Both approaches should work though.

FYI, I am now in direct contact with Viosoft working my issue and they seem engaged.
    floatingpoint
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2015/02/10 17:04:43 (permalink)
    woody244
    MPLABX has improved the PIC32 support, I just cant stand the Netbeans interface.  My biggest concern would be that you are still channeling through a microchip communications interface and the simulator would still be microchips.

I'm one of these people who would rather spend time on the project rather than the tools.
    So I'm not a mix and match person. The Microchip ICD3 interface is fine for me.

When I discovered MPLAB8 years ago i was impressed.
    When I tried MPLABX I was disappointed. To me it had succumbed to the bloatware temptations.
    The IDE is running on a computer that is spinnning at over 2GHz so simple editing and other functions should be faster than human speed.

FP

woody244
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2015/02/10 18:07:48 (permalink)
    Well you missed MPLAB5, 6, and 7.  5 and 6 were terrible and thats when I started.  I think you'll find your adopting a relatively new architecture and the tools will always lag.  The recent versions of MPLABX are vast improvements over V1.  I tried and immediately went back to MPLAB8.  But now I can get by without MPLAB8 when working with pretty much any of the DSPIC and PIC32MX devices.  Support for the MZ is coming along and that chip is risky anyway.  Aribba is Eclipse based which is still a hefty Java app so its a matter of what features you like.  I use Eclipse at work all day so it familiarity helps my productivity.  I find managing projects and interfaces to version control via GIT are much further along than Netbeans.  It is just a horse of a different color so you may want to just hang with the MPLABX tools.  These are much simpler, no GDB in the background and stuff like that to worry about.  Also there will always be a much larger community for support with MPLABX than I think Arriba will ever achieve.  

Also since you are using the ICD3 you'll need to shell out about 500.00 US since the free edition only support simulator and PICKIT3.    

My goal is an Eclipse based environment since I already do all of my editing there and only use MPLABX to debug.   
    floatingpoint
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2015/02/10 22:37:39 (permalink)
    woody244
    Aribba is Eclipse based which is still a hefty Java app so its a matter of what features you like.

This is where I don't understand.
    Any mobile app is compiled to native code and runs without lag.
    Otherwise it's history.

Do/ Can these "hefty Java apps" (Arriba on Eclipse, MPLABX on Netbeans etc) get compiled to native code for the different operating systems?

FP
    post edited by floatingpoint - 2015/02/10 22:39:59
    woody244
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2015/02/11 06:39:25 (permalink)
    Can't say if they are compiled to native code or not.  They are at least compiled to Java Byte Code as I understand it.  I think you are looking at the problem from the wrong point of view.  These IDE's are doing a lot under the hood.  For example, each time you change a line of source, in the case of Eclipse I think each time you write a token, it goes and performs an error parsing, there is tagging going on in the background as well.  There are so many bells and whistles that it is difficult to even find how to configure them.  I liken the experience to needing to be a word power user as oppossed to just a user if you want to get the true performance out of these "modern" IDEs.  You can fairly easily turn off most of these features and I think you will find things speed up.  Although with a modern PC with sufficient memory I can say I dont really see any performance issues and SW developers will target what they can do based on this.

Most chip companies have adopted Eclipse as the base for their IDE as it provides so much and they just add their plugins.  For this they get multiplatform support which is something you dont get with most of the older free IDEs like MPLAB.   Microchip chose Netbeans beacuse they thought Eclipse was too complex for Embedded projects.  So that should give you an idea of whether Arriba is a good direction for you.

I hated Eclipse when I first used it as part of the Xilinx SDK, it has gotten better and now I rely on it for a lot of things.

There are other non Eclipse/Netbeans IDE's out there.  Usually not free and just as much work to integrate.  I think you will find given the time MPLABX is actually better at a lot of things than MPLAB8 in terms of editors go. Ultimately it is the direction Microchip has decided to go and most others are very similar so unless you want to handpick your tools you are pretty much stuck with it for better or worse.

Good luck
    floatingpoint
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2015/02/11 13:11:05 (permalink)
    Thanks Woody,

Useful insights.

I  wish Microchip would explain the IDEs in this way instead of the 'bling' 'bling' 'feature' feature' 'feature' nonsense.
    I want to know how it works and how it performs the basic tasks before anything else.

Perhaps the Arriba rep could expand on these aspects of their IDE?

FP
    woody244
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2015/02/11 13:56:14 (permalink)
    My understanding is that there are some customers with an investment in Eclipse Plugins and there was a desire/benefit for an Eclipse IDE which could interface to the Microchip hardware tools.  For Eclipse users like myself this is beneficial.  For those who have used neither Eclipse or Netbeans it would be tough to say which is better.  Both IDEs started as Java development IDEs with the community expanding them to support C/C++, Fortran and various other development languages.  Microchip has done some nice interface plugins for Netbeans but I really like Eclipse's project management and interface better.   I can add an entire tree as my project and not have to add individual files. 

I have used Eclipse to perform remote builds where I have Linux build tools that ran fast but desired a Windows desktop for various reasons. 

To gain a better understanding of Arriba I recommend to install the free version and feel it out a bit, you can easily follow the user manual to create a small project and run it in the sim.  The Arriba section on Microchip's site should give you an idea of Arriba's intent and architecture.  See my other thread, I did have set the path for the gdb tools.  Compare this with MPLAB.  See which you like best.  Compare performance and see if it is worth the money or going to a PICKIT3.  They are really going to be your two easiest choices.  With a little more effort connecting via the J-Link as I have mentioned may get you into some other editor / debugger possibilities.  My guess is unless you have a real desire to go Eclipse Arriba will be more work than MPLABX.

I'll try to keep you posted once/if I get it working on my MAC.  If not I will still be using Eclipse as my editing environment and MPLABX as my debugger unless I can get he J-Link working which would cost be $60 vs $500 for Arriba with my realIce.

The guys at viosoft do seem to be interested in my issue so at least it does not seem as dead as I feared.

floatingpoint
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2015/02/11 15:41:12 (permalink)
    woody244
    I'll try to keep you posted once/if I get it working on my MAC.

Look forward to your updates and feedback from other users.

FP
    viosoft
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2015/02/18 12:40:41 (permalink)
    Hello Woody, my apology for the disconnect as we responded directly to your email rather than to the forum.  Below is an excerpt of the response sent as a follow up to your email from last week:

Hi Woody, your Java VM version is slightly different from the one we use.  Apparently, other Eclipse Juno users have reported similar issue so this is not a problem specific to Arriba: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26450420/osx-10-10-and-eclipse-luna-own-app-crashes-when-started-from-inside-eclipse

I would recommend that you use build -466 of the Java VM as indicated in the link above, and see what happens.  

Regards
    m4l490n
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2015/05/08 23:51:55 (permalink)
    I'm having problems with the Arriba IDE plugin in my laptop. I'm trying to use it in 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04 with eclipse kepler.

When I get to the part where I need to select the device family, the device, and the hardware tools I click in the "Configure..." button and nothing happens.

This is weird because I have it installed in another laptop but the ubuntu is a 32-bit and it works fine.

Please help me.

Regards.
    vidavidorra
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2015/05/13 02:17:00 (permalink)
    Sadly I'm having the same problem m4l490n described above.
    Only difference is that I'm running it on a Mac running Yosemite.
    @woody244 I saw that you were also having problems running Arriba IDE/plugin on your Mac. What is the current status of that, any progress?

So far I have tried both the Arriba plugin for Eclipse (in combination with Eclipse 4.4.2) and the Arriba IDE. In case of the plugin it's showing that it isn't connected (probably cause java version differs from -466 build).
    The Arriba IDE is running, but isn't showing any arriba message in the left bottom (nor connected nor errors). Also in the problem/errors screen it isn't stating any arriba connect error, it only says that it can't find the compiler in the PATH. But i'm sure it is in the PATH (at the end):

$ echo $PATH
    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Applications/microchip/xc32/v1.34/bin

Arriba IDE is pointing to Java 8:
    eclipse.vm=/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_45.jdk

Can that be the problem, that it needs to be pointing to a different java version?

Information about used java, eclipse and arriba installations below:

Java Mission Control:
    Version: 5.5.0
    Obtained from: Unknown
    Last Modified: 10/05/15 12:06
    Kind: Intel
    64-Bit (Intel): Yes
    /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_45.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/missioncontrol/Java
    Mission Control.app
    Eclipse:
    Version: 4.4.2
    Last Modified: 19/02/15 09:18
    Get Info String: Eclipse 4.4 for Mac OS X, Copyright IBM Corp. and others 2002, 2014. All rights
    reserved.
    Arriba:
    Version: 3.6
    Last Modified: 08/05/15 23:46
    Get Info String: Eclipse 3.6 for Mac OS X, Copyright IBM Corp. and others 2002, 2010. All rights
    reserved.

m4l490n
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2015/05/15 14:51:02 (permalink)
    Hello

Here is another problem. sad: sad

Looking that I would not receive any help with my 64-bit ubuntu problem I uninstalled it and installed the 32-bit ubuntu. Installed eclipse kepler, the arriba plugin and arriba connect. Also I got JDK 7

I could setup the project just fine, compiled my code but... when I tried to debug I got this:

Python Exception <type 'exceptions.ImportError'> No module named gdb: 

warning: 
    Could not load the Python gdb module from `/usr/local/share/gdb/python'.
    Limited Python support is available from the _gdb module.
    Suggest passing --data-directory=/path/to/gdb/data-directory.

Seriously!! I just can't get it to work!! Why, just why?

I really like, no, not like, I love the idea of an eclipse based IDE for PIC32 because netbeans sucks very hard. I like this Arriba IDE idea and I will really appreciate if I could use it. I would gladly pay the paid version if it just worked. But there is no way I'm paying for something that doesn't work and the worst is that anybody at viosoft seems to care.

I have problems in windows as well as in linux, I can't just get it working. And the user manual is just "Install it, then use it", ok well, if only it was as simple as that.

Please viosoft people, please help! sad: sad

Tell me what is needed to be installed, in which order, what commands to run, what exact versions of what software of frameworks should I install and what should I exactly need to do and/or configure in order to make the Arriba eclipse plugin to work.

Regards.
    viosoft
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2015/05/16 16:12:24 (permalink)
    Hi Manuel,

This is a follow up to my email to you yesterday: This error is benign, and does not affect the behavior of Arriba.  More specifically, it can be fixed by rebuilding the GDB binary included in Arriba with the "--without-python" option.  I suspected this isn't the main reason why things aren't working for you.  Here are my suggestion:

1) Start with the full version of Arriba on Windows or Linux, and see if you can create a simple project for the simulator and debug successfully.  If that works,
    2) Switch to the device/debug tools of choice.  If you make it this far,
    3) Try the plugin on a clean Juno install with CDT.

Regards,

Viosoft
    ChangedDaily
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2016/11/05 14:56:42 (permalink)
    Hi,
    I would like to use the Arriba plugin, but that failed due to a dependency issue, org.eclipse.cdt.debug.mi.core (using the latest Eclipse Neon.1 release).

I have tried the complete installation and that can't find the compiler, do I have to install the xc32 compiler separately?

Can't comment on quality or speed yet.

Patrick

vidavidorra
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re: Seeking Arriba IDE Feedback 2016/12/03 12:38:45 (permalink)
    Hi Patrick,

My best guess is that you would still need to install a compiler. This is also the case when installing MPLAB X.
    You can find the XC compilers here. For the XC32 compiler you'll have to activate a free licence as well I think. I believe that you'll get information about doing so when installing the compiler. 

As for the dependency issue, I think I cannot be of much help there as I'm an MPLAB X user (at the moment) (;

Please let me know when you get it working!
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5