picgui issue

Author
Yonattan Menaker
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
2015/01/01 13:29:57 (permalink)

picgui issue

Hi!

I'm using the dspic33ep512mu810 on the auav3 board with the new matlab blockset.
when i try to access picgui i get the following matlab prompt:

>> picgui
Error using winqueryreg
Specified key is invalid.
Error in C:\Microchip\MatlabTools\apps\picgui\picgui.p>picgui_OpeningFcn (line 84)

Error in gui_mainfcn (line 221)
feval(gui_State.gui_OpeningFcn, gui_hFigure, [], guidata(gui_hFigure), varargin{:});
Error in C:\Microchip\MatlabTools\apps\picgui\picgui.p>picgui (line 43)

im running matlab 2012b 64bit on windows 8.1.

any ideas??

Attached Image(s)

Lubin
  • Total Posts : 383
  • Reward points : 5
Re: picgui issue 2015/01/02 03:08:14 (permalink)
Hi Yonattan,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We are not performing tests with windows 8 but with windows 7. It seems most users are still with windows 7.

The registry seems different as the entry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM" does not exist causing this error. You might found workaround as such problems appears with others applications, but they seem complicated.

If you could provide few inputs about windows 8 registry structure nearby "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP", we could probably fix the issue.

At least, we'll make the script more robust and provide the default COM1 to 255 choice if available COM port cannot be retrieved. 

Lubin
Yonattan Menaker
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Re: picgui issue 2015/01/02 06:59:48 (permalink)
Hi lubin,

First, thank you for the quick response.
I manged to get picgui to run this way:
1. Added a com port manually by clicking "Action"->"add legacy hardware" in the device manager
2. Created a registry key myself by opening "regedit" and creating the "SERIALCOMM" folder and inside adding a key (screenshot included).

Now i have a couple of different problems but i believe they have something to do with com3 not being paired with my usb port or something similar (i'm new to all of this.. first time playing with the AUAV3)

a few more hours of searching online might help..

Yonattan.

EDIT:
Creating a registry entry just gets picgui running.. it can't really read data from the board.
I'm positive my problem revolves around virtual com ports or something like that.

post edited by Yonattan Menaker - 2015/01/02 08:58:45
Lubin
Re: picgui issue 2015/01/05 15:31:49 (permalink)
Are you seeing any corrupted data or just nothing ?

I would advise to
1) Check with a scope that you get signals on the AUAV V3 Tx pin;
2) Test with an hyperterminal on your windows setup to check the overall system. RealTerm is one free hyperterminal.

Make sure your UART to USB cable handle the baudrate you selected if you are higher than 115200.

Watch out that 2 of the 3 UAV V3 board UART connector are isolated and required to be powered from the connector.
Lubin
Re: picgui issue 2015/01/06 05:30:44 (permalink)
Yonattan,

Attached picgui.p file might overcome the COM port discovery issue you get due to windows 8 different registry structure. If no COM port are found, all possible COM port are provided from index 1 to 256. 

Please note also that you could always select the "Custom" Com port and write the COM port name in the box. This solution worked with MAC where COM port naming are different. You could switch back to the COM port list popup by deleting all char in the edit box.

This file works along with the blockset v3.36.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5