• AVR Freaks

Hot!Alt->F S key sequence will sometimes insert an "s" at the current cursor location

Author
CurtisHx
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 73
  • Reward points : 0
2014/12/23 09:08:19 (permalink)
5 (1)

Alt->F S key sequence will sometimes insert an "s" at the current cursor location

After editing some code, I will hit Alt F S to save (Alt and F together, and then S immediately afterwards).  The file will save, but an S occasionally appears at the cursor location in the file.  I do type the command fast, but MPLABx is the only software that exhibits this mysterious "S" appearance.  Visual Studio, Word, Excel, Notepad++, every other text editor on my PC has never given me that extra S.  I suspect is has something to with the timing between pressing alt-f, and then s.

This is in MPALBx 2.20

3 Replies Related Threads

GlennP
    • Total Posts : 716
    Re: Alt->F S key sequence will sometimes insert an "s" at the current cursor location 2014/12/24 02:24:33 (permalink)
    In MPLabX 2.25, the standard "Save" command is Ctrl-S.  I think this was true in earlier releases as well.  It's certainly shorter, but if your "finger" memory makes the Alt-F,S sequence better for you that's fair.

I have observed the behavior you describe, but only when the file has no changes (so isn't, in some sense, "Save-Able").  Note this does not occur all the time and it may occur on changed files, but I have only seen this occasionally with unchanged files.

GlennP
    jyaron
    • Total Posts : 396
    Re: Alt->F S key sequence will sometimes insert an "s" at the current cursor location 2020/03/19 12:08:19 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Yep... MPLAB-X does't just run and compile soooooo slow... it is also sooooo slow when processing keyboard entries. If I hold down the page-down key when editing a file, there are periodic freezes in the page panning.... it is sooooo bad.

MPLAB-X GUI is truly a resource hog and soooo inefficient. It's a shame use of these decent micro-controllers is just crippled by the mandatory use of MPLAB-X which is sooooo bad.

I still can't figure out how to enable the standard Alt-F key sequence to invoke a file save.... like in MPLAB v8.92 and all the other competent IDEs in the world. I have it working on a prior computer, but can't seem to find the setting amidst the plethora of inutile settings.
    moser
    • Total Posts : 550
    Re: Alt->F S key sequence will sometimes insert an "s" at the current cursor location 2020/03/24 05:29:53 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    1) Are you aware that you just posted this in an 6 year old thread?
    2) Are you aware that this issue back then was about MPLAB X 2, and nowadays there is MPLAB X 5?
    3) Is your issue still the issue with inserted letter "s", or do you have a totally unrelated problem?
    4) Why did you not write which MPLAB X version you are using?
    5) What is this "standard ALT-F key sequence", which doesn't work for you? You didn't really describe how you want it to be besides "like in MPLAB v8.92". For example ALT+F, S works for me. I don't know if the original problem with the occasionally inserted "s" is still there, because I'm usually using CTRL+S for saving instead ... like in all other competent program in the world ... ;-)
    6) You can define and change any normal shortcut in Tools, Options, Keymap. You can search for the existing shortcut by function or by key. Are you aware of this?

However, note that ALT + menu-letter are default menu-shortcuts, and therefore not in this list. I think their definition cannot be removed or changed. That's default user interface behavior, although it depends on the application whether it is supported.

And if you are speaking of general application behavior, those ALT+something sequences are really not standard key sequences. Menus are language dependent and therefore ALT+something is also language dependent (e.g. German ALT+D, S instead of ALT+F, S), while CTRL+S is not. And the letter for each menu and entry can be randomly chosen by the application developer and might even be different in various applications for the same menu names. 

But I agree with you, that MPLAB X is a quite slow and resource hungry IDE.
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5