LockedBring the old MPLAB back!

Author
signed *someone
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 0
2014/07/30 20:15:49 (permalink)
5 (1)

Bring the old MPLAB back!

I hope someone from Microchip reads this forum.
Please, bring the old MPLAB back with support fr the newer parts! I am really, really tired of this total Java sh*t called MPLAB X. Don't know is the Java (most probably yes, as I have NEVER seen a properly working Java program), but this new one is so sluggish and overstuffed with useless "features", that sometime it is almost impossible to work with it.
Especially the well known message "Please wait..." in the debug windows. It goes on forever while the CPU load goes to the roof. Probably the creators of Java have gotten a good deal with the electrical companies to feed them more consumers, I don't know.
Another "cool" feature is the projects opening for two minutes - dedicated time for coffee for the developers, I guess.
There are heaps of other "cool" things to mention, but the overall picture is horrible. It was when it first came out, and it is the same now, unfortunately with Microchip forcing the developers into this now.

14 Replies Related Threads

DarioG
    Allmächtig.
    • Total Posts : 54081
    Re: Bring the old MPLAB back! 2014/07/31 00:59:56 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    agreed upon java **** Smile
    I am still using 8.92 .

GENOVA :D :D ! GODO
    drazen
    • Total Posts : 2847
    Re: Bring the old MPLAB back! 2014/07/31 01:31:52 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    Yesterday I comment exactly the same. I have Dual Core running at 2.5GHz with 4G RAM and Win7 x64. On PC only Outlook and X are running and still some 1GB RAM free. When I press up/down arrow CPU goes to some 80-90%, X fully blocked and starts eratically to scroll after few seconds.  I can click on Outlook and work normally while X still eratically scrolls!? HDD is off, so Java crap has enormous problems coloring text. On other side in Visual Studio no problem at all. No problem at all in any other coloring editor!

Upon that, X coloring is fully stupid. If I have include path in project it does not parse anything, must be in gcc option.

Eg, when I press clear button (to clear obj files) CPU killed to 100% for some seconds and then HDD blinks and message that files were cleared in 300mS. Someone from MC explained they perse !!?? project to get file names...
    This explains why X kills CPU when project is saved. Btw, it looks they use great XML parser :)

Do you know why MPLAB 8 kills CPU on startup for some 5-10 sec?
    "Clever" MC programmers are scanning registry key by key for MPLAB add-ins !!?? If you wonna make an add-in for MPLAB all you need is to put in registry path to your DLL and special string that MPLAB scans for on startup !!!!?????

Does anyone know add-in for X that will bring back solution (workspace) file like in 8 (mcw file) or sln file in Visual Studio?

Bob Thomlinson
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: Bring the old MPLAB back! 2014/07/31 09:45:06 (permalink)
    Agreed. Horrible editor which won't do as it's told, and slow, slow slow!
    Why MCHP seem so determined to foist this contraption on users I can't guess. Windows-independent would be nice, of course, but it's not a dealbreaker and anway Java really doesn't seem to be the way to do it. As for Netbeans - well I guess it takes all sorts, but I cannot abide the hardcoded insolence of it. For now, 8.9 does what I need, pretty reliably. If and when it doesn't, the chip choice is wide open again.

XGenerator
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 350
    Re: Bring the old MPLAB back! 2014/07/31 11:21:25 (permalink)
    MPLAB 8 is too old to handle the new devices with the advancements on silicon and debug features. MPLAB 8 will not be updated for new devices or features.
    Under MPLAB X IDE v2.15 the JRE will allocate 25% of cpu memory if available. This helps on PIC32 based projects.

We can not take any action on remarks as above, they are too generic and not helpful.
    Please let me know what version of MPLAB X IDE you are using and which device. Please identify the device, versions of IDE, compiler and Debug hardware tool. Also where do you define it to be slow, there is the speed of startup, compilation, loading, programming, single step, watch refresh. Each area is independant, with device and debug tool dependencies.

DavidBLit
    • Total Posts : 1574
    Re: Bring the old MPLAB back! 2014/07/31 11:24:15 (permalink)
    I wonder if this holds any promise if/when any additional chip families can be added to the Community Edition?

Ian.M
    • Total Posts : 13209
    Re: Bring the old MPLAB back! 2014/07/31 11:36:36 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    No.  Its a customised Eclipse which is Java based: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_(software)
    Its likely that there is a high degree of code reuse from the MPLAB X debuggers and simulator and like most other Microchip software projects, it will probably take two years to become stable enough for serious use.

A cross-platform native code IDE would have been nice, but Microchip seem to be firmly committed to the Java can of worms.

--
    NEW USERS: Posting images, links and code - workaround for restrictions.
    I also support http://picforum.ric323.com because this forum is sometimes too broken to use!
    mlp
    boots too small
    • Total Posts : 674
    Re: Bring the old MPLAB back! 2014/07/31 15:47:31 (permalink)
    Ian.M
    No.  Its a customised Eclipse which is Java based: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_(software)
    Its likely that there is a high degree of code reuse from the MPLAB X debuggers and simulator and like most other Microchip software projects, it will probably take two years to become stable enough for serious use.

As I understand it, it's not a Microchip product but Microchip has agreed to distribute it.

A cross-platform native code IDE would have been nice, but Microchip seem to be firmly committed to the Java can of worms.

It's not fundamentally Java's fault - one can write poor code in any language.

Pre-acquisition HI-TECH had a generally pleasant experience using Eclipse as a base for our cross-platform IDE (including debugging via the ICD2). We (HT) got flak for not porting the addons to a newer version of Eclipse, just as we (MC) are now getting it for still being tied to an older Netbeans release.

Mark (this opinion available for hire)
    Bob Thomlinson
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: Bring the old MPLAB back! 2014/07/31 16:04:02 (permalink)
    +2 (2)

MPLAB 8 is too old to handle the new devices with the advancements on silicon and debug features. MPLAB 8 will not be updated for new devices or features.

Perfect. We won't update it, because it won't work with new devices, because we haven't updated it.

DavidBLit
    • Total Posts : 1574
    Re: Bring the old MPLAB back! 2014/07/31 17:09:05 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    mark.pappin
    Ian.M

As I understand it, it's not a Microchip product but Microchip has agreed to distribute it.

...and it's supposed to have (at least some of) the useless-bloated-time-wasting-play-toy pseudo-features expunged with a commensurate leap in performance and stability.  My understanding is that Viosoft realized very quickly that MPLAB X is pure sh!t but was committed to their PIC32 choice.  So they attacked the problem at its root then presented it to Microchip: "Hey, look!  Sucks less!"

We'll see.

mark.pappin
    Ian.M

It's not Java's fault that it encourages creating bloated cr@pware?

mark.pappin
    Pre-acquisition HI-TECH had a generally pleasant experience using Eclipse as a base for our cross-platform IDE (including debugging via the ICD2). We (HT) got flak for not porting the addons to a newer version of Eclipse, just as we (MC) are now getting it for still being tied to an older Netbeans release.

Ah, spin.  I thought I smelled something...

You get flak for an overall sh!tty user experience with little-to-no improvement for freakin' YEARS!

You get flak for utterly ignoring the cries of dismay as each new release soaks more memory and CPU than ever before.

You get flak for breaking things that once worked.

Ultimately, you get flak because your software sucks.

But we do stand amazed at the vast array of garbage bags hung off the thing.

If it's any consolation though, every chip vendor's pet IDE is garbage too.

New marketing campaign: "We don't suck more!"

Ian.M
    • Total Posts : 13209
    Re: Bring the old MPLAB back! 2014/07/31 18:38:19 (permalink)
    DavidBLit
    New marketing campaign: "We don't suck more!"

I expect Microchip would be dumb enough to use that slogan if trying to sell their motor control parts to vacuum cleaner manufacturers! LoL

--
    NEW USERS: Posting images, links and code - workaround for restrictions.
    I also support http://picforum.ric323.com because this forum is sometimes too broken to use!
    DarioG
    Allmächtig.
    • Total Posts : 54081
    Re: Bring the old MPLAB back! 2014/08/01 01:44:03 (permalink)
    DavidBLit

mark.pappin
    Ian.M

It's not Java's fault that it encourages creating bloated cr@pware?

agreed.

GENOVA :D :D ! GODO
    floatingpoint
    • Total Posts : 201
    Re: Bring the old MPLAB back! 2014/08/01 04:01:26 (permalink)
    DavidBLit
    I wonder if holds any promise if/when any additional chip families can be added to the Community Edition?

Maybe someone could give this (Part Number SW500330 - Arriba IDE for PIC32 MCUs) a go and report back here??
    Actually that's the Star Trek version.
    The free one should give some idea.
    We might be pleasantly surprised!
    jdeguire
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re: Bring the old MPLAB back! 2014/08/01 08:07:45 (permalink)
    +4 (4)
    Though MPLAB X has its issues, I will never go back to MPLAB 8.

For me, MPLAB X's features, such as a way to easily select tools, multiple configurations per project, and easier management of multiple projects make it worth the hassle over MPLAB 8.  It was annoying to have to edit ".ide_conf" or whatever to make it use enough RAM to not be painfully slow, but that does help a lot (and v2.15 supposedly takes care of that, though I haven't tried it yet).  I do use Emacs as my editor rather than the built-in one, so maybe that's why I don't have any major issues with the IDE.

If you are having issues, definitely make use of Microchip's ticket system.  I've personally reported multiple bugs with MPLAB X using that system and all of them have been fixed.  They mainly had to do with how MPLAB X handled Makefile generation when dealing with loadable library projects.

I will say, however, that I do prefer MPLAB 8's debugging of disassembly.  In MPLAB 8, you could open up a new window which would display the disassembly listing for the entire program and you could step through it.  In MPLAB X, debugging disassembly will show only one module at a time, which I think is harder to navigate.  So there, now it doesn't look like I'm blindly praising MPLAB X. LoL: LoL
    XGenerator
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 350
    Re: Bring the old MPLAB back! 2014/08/01 10:58:16 (permalink)
    -1 (5)
    Microchip has locked this thread.
    Our forums are made available for our customers to request assistance and report issues that we can help the developers move forward.
    Please refrain from posting on these forums with wasted negative comments and provide details that Microchip can work with.

We appreciate your help in this matter.

Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5