Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points : 0
2014/04/12 13:22:49 (permalink)

PIC32MZ Embedded Connectivity Starter Kit - Connection Failed - always

Hi!

I just received the

PIC32MZ Embedded Connectivity (EC) Starter Kit

and wasted a day trying to make it work, with almost all Harmony demo projects and FreeRTOS v8.0.0 - to no avail.

During the device programming phase MPLabX IDE 2.05 invariably reports:

Connection Failed.

Connection Failed.

I carefully checked all configuration settings - everything seems OK, except that MPLabX IDE 2.05 does not explicitly distinguish the board as smth like

PIC32MZ EC Kit (like I've seen before for PIC32MX ESK,  for my PIC32MX Ethernet Starter Kit)

It simply says:

Starter Kits (PK0B), with a green dot
SN: None (VID 04D8, PID 8107)

or, sometimes (it TOGGLES between)

SN: BUR1412...

I am running MPLabX IDE 2.05 and XC32 compiler v1.31 under Windows 8.1, with all updates done.

With Ubuntu Linux 13.10 (64-bit) and the same MPLabX and XC32 versions it fares slightly better and does not always complain "Connection Failed", but I could not make any projects running (even simple blinking!). The most annoying thing about the Linux version of MPLabX is that you cannot stop running a debugging session, except exiting the environment. Thus every reprogramming trial takes the MPLab relaunch.

I previously had no similar difficulties with PIC32MX Ethernet Starter Kit.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

vsg
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 44
Re: PIC32MZ Embedded Connectivity Starter Kit - Connection Failed - always 2014/04/14 01:23:43 (permalink)
I finally succeeded to compile and run the simplest leds blinky project.

It seems that my PIC32MZ EC Kit confuses the MPLabX IDE v2.05 by dynamically changing its identity. Here is the message I received a few times:

Starter Kits (PKOB) SN#BUR141227095 was selected in the project configuration, but it does not appear to be connected. Starter Kits SN#None (VID 048D, PID 8107) is currently connected. Would you like to use this Starter Kits (PKOB) instead?

If I say YES, the I get "Connection Failed".

Actually the correct selection of  SN#BUR141227095 allowed me to program the PIC32MZ EC Kit.

I have to fiddle with opening "Project properties" and clicking on the (VID, PID) and "Apply" a few times to get the correct identity Starter Kits (PKOB) SN#BUR141227095 so as to be able to program the device.

I think this is a definitive error in MPLabX IDE v.2.05 support for PIC32MZ EC Kit.

Elberlee
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: PIC32MZ Embedded Connectivity Starter Kit - Connection Failed - always 2017/02/14 01:05:21 (permalink)
Hi, there,

I guess it is the issue of driver. Go to windows device manager, uninstall the on board programmer, then let windows re-install the driver. It works for me (DSPIC33E Starter kit, windows 10, MPLab V3.51).

The on board programmer will be recognized as a "USB input Device" under the category of "Human Interface Devices" NOT in the USB category.... (if you have more than one "USB input Device", just unplug and plug the starter kit to check which is which).

Then, right click->uninstall. Afterwards, windows gonna reinstall the driver automatically.

Hopefully, you can download the code now

Good luck! 

Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5