• AVR Freaks

Helpful ReplyHot!Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 13
Author
picworker
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 0
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2014/09/17 14:29:59 (permalink)
4 (1)
Hello rdtsc,

I can certainly appreciate the complexity of implementing software flow control in your pass through application.  Unfortunately MCC does not currently support software CTS/RTS flow control. 

We are working on adding software drivers to future releases of MCC.  With that capability MCC could generate drivers like the one you described.

Thanks for your feedback,
Picworker

kangus
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2014/09/17 19:41:48 (permalink)
Please publish an estimated release time frame for the PIC32MZ and PIC18. After working for two days on PIN assignments for a PIC32MZ project I took a break and downloaded KDS-Windows, 6 hours later I had artwork ready to go and software ready to load on an ARM device. The PIC32MZ would put the ARM device to shame but I'm my design department and I can't justify a week figuring out pin assignments and register setting.
Let your bean counters know that there is nothing more important then MCC, without a tool to compete with Processor Expert you will lose market share in a hurry.
Oh and while I'm at it: The new methods of configuring I/O is great but the level of complexity is off the charts.

MPLAB X 7.12b/C18 3.40/C32 2.01/ICD3  
Windows 7 x64 

tmr_suresh
  • Total Posts : 105
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2014/09/17 21:32:15 (permalink)
5 (1)
many forum members ask for the road map of future release . so MCC developers please put the list of controller/ family of devices will be supported in next release. if not the date of release at least the device list.... 
ataman666
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2014/09/30 06:23:24 (permalink)
hello MCC guys. first of all thanks for great stuff ! I use MPLABX for almost one year a it is great. I just started small project with PIC16F1704 while using MCC and I am really very happy about MCC and it's features. It is a great tool which helps to avoid hours spent by setting peripherals :)
And my suggestion is - more more more chips supported. As minimum with basic periphs - IMHO the best approach is to offer as much devices as possible even not all periphs are implemented in initial versions (further releases should implement them). This basic features needs everyone and as someone here in forum mentioned market share could really depend on this kind of support. I find it as a great opportunity for both Microchip and developers - Microchip could sell more and developers could develop more in shorter time.

Keep on doing this great stuff !
Thanks
Ataman

PS: I will soon need support for 18F87K22 ;-)
picworker
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2014/09/30 10:26:01 (permalink)
4 (1)
Hello ataman666,

Thank you for your interest in MCC, and your encouraging words about the current version of MCC.  The MCC development team appreciates the need to support more devices, and we are working to add more devices with each release of MCC.

To get started with a device that is not yet supported by MCC, you can create a project with a similar device that is supported by MCC, then copy the MCC generated code to the project for your target device.  This approach may require some extra editing to get the code running, but it should still save you some time setting up the new part.

The MCC team is investigating methods to add devices more quickly to MCC, including adding devices that may initially have only minimal peripheral support.

Thank you for your suggestions.  Feedback from the users of MCC help us plot the course for the future of MCC.

Regards,
picworker

scrungy_doolittle
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2014/11/10 18:05:42 (permalink)
florin.matei
This thread is dedicated to gathering suggestions related to what features could be improved or added in the next release of MC2. Please try to provide some arguments for your suggestions as they will help when proposing the idea to the team. Providing arguments will also help the team in better estimating what your needs are.

Please help us to improve MC2!

Regards,
Florin

Please look at the Silabs configurator.  There are so many overloaded pins on the PIC24 that it is a nightmare to configure.
A configurator that has descriptive files that it can parse for information for a device.
So suppose you have the same issue I currently have.  A PIC24FJ128GC006.  I need 4 analog ADC channels, 2 comparators and both opamps, and 2 dacs along with some 30 I/O lines.
I would like a tool that I could
1. select the part.
2. go into the ADC, and select which 4 channels I want from drop down boxes.  This will tie up corresponding pins
in the pin map, which I can look at.
3. Then go into the comparators, and select two of them, and assign from a drop down list POPULATED WITH THE
REMAINING pins that I can use, since I have used 4 analogs up already, and I can pick the pins for the comparators.  As I pick the pins for the first one, it automatically ties up those pins and limits the ones I can pick for the next compartor.  After I pick those three pins, it again updates the map of the pins, and removes the ones used from the eligible pins.
4. I go the the op amps, I need both.  I select the input and output pins, and as I do, my choices will have been restricted to the remaining analog pins.  Once I have used the drop down boxes to select the pins both input and output, if there are gain registers, I can select the gain for those.
5. I move to DAC's and again pick two pins that are still available.
6. I then move to the I/O map and remap the pins that I want, or just select the pins.  Each pin has a box that can be set to Open Drain, Digital out or Analog as I see fit. 
7. I then click a button and the code writes a function that does whatever it needs to to make the I/O pins be correct.
8. I can then go into say a timer, and select an output and input, again, limited to what is available, and again the code is generated to configure that timer for the clock I select, the pins I select, any reload constants etc.
9. I go the the uart, pick a clock, set it's pins if needed, establish the baud rate etc.

this is what the Silabs configurator essentially does.
The output will be code that initializes the pins, and the registers, creates a comment block with descriptions of each pin, whether they are open drain, input/output analog and which peripheral controls them.

I don't want driver code.  I just want an easier way to configure and select the proper i/o pins, the constants, and set the registers to what they need to be to make the peripheral work.

I am not even sure I am going to use the PIC24 because the configuration is so complex.  It is going to take hours to figure out the pins by hand.

kangus
Starting Member
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2014/11/10 19:32:52 (permalink)
"gathering suggestions "
That is what PE does for Freescale, pick the functions and it generates the initialization code along with adding the relevant libraries and just to show off it shows the device with the pins labeled for your design, you can use that in the layout of a PCB after you've got everything you wanted.
Atmel tried and has failed with ASF, it can't generate anything, it points to existing code that might work.
STM32CubeMX is functional and fun to work with, I was disappointed that it didn't list the chips that I could use based on what functions I had selected.
TI Code Composer Studio IDE, I don't know, even if it sang to me I wouldn't use it, it's from TI. 

I would suggest trying them all...
But get it done, soon.

MPLAB X 7.12b/C18 3.40/C32 2.01/ICD3  
Windows 7 x64 

ns.mchp
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2014/11/11 10:54:42 (permalink)
3 (1)
Thank you for your feedback. 

GC010 family support (which includes GC006) is planned for the end of this quarter. And it should help you configure your system easily and it should meet your expectations as you have described above.

You can also take a look at the current PIC24 support and let us know if you have any feedback.

Thank you, 

Kenny Shin
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2015/01/08 18:46:09 (permalink)
MCC: V2.1

i think "reload TMR0" code has a issue.

Please let me know why this code use as below?
TMR0H+=timer0ReloadVal16bit >> 8; 
TMR0L+ = (uint8_t) timer0ReloadVal16bit;

I think below one is better.
    TMR0H = timer0ReloadVal16bit >> 8;
    TMR0L = (uint8_t) timer0ReloadVal16bit;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
void TMR0_ISR(void) {
    // clear the TMR0 interrupt flag    
    INTCONbits.TMR0IF = 0;
    // reload TMR0    
     TMR0H+ = timer0ReloadVal16bit >> 8;    
     TMR0L+ = (uint8_t) timer0ReloadVal16bit;
    // add your TMR0 interrupt custom code    
}

void TMR0_Reload16bit(void)
{
    // Write to the Timer0 register
    TMR0H = timer0ReloadVal16bit >> 8;
    TMR0L = (uint8_t) timer0ReloadVal16bit;
}
ric
  • Total Posts : 23526
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2015/01/09 15:01:45 (permalink)
4 (1)
Kenny Shin

No it doesn't.
That is a well known technique to allow for the latency between the interrupt being triggered, and the time when the code actually gets to write to the timer.
The moment the interrupt is triggered, the TMR will contain zero.
If the timer has incremented before you get to write to it, then you will have lost that time if you just overwrite with the new count, and will get jitter in your timing. Adding the constant instead nicely allows for this.

I also post at: PicForum
Links to useful PIC information: http://picforum.ric323.co...opic.php?f=59&t=15
NEW USERS: Posting images, links and code - workaround for restrictions.
To get a useful answer, always state which PIC you are using!
forrestc
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2015/02/01 23:08:36 (permalink)

Kenny Shin

ric
No it doesn't.

Actually it does.  Not sure what exactly the problem is, but the code provided by MCC doesn't generate well-timed interrupts on at least a PIC18F26K22 and Timer0.   

My guess is there's something subtle with the addition of the constant.  Like the constant to add is calculated incorrectly, or something similar. I've submitted a bug to the MCC team as to this problem.   In my example code provided to the MCC team, the period between interrupts starts out long and with each successive interrupt ends up shorter and shorter,until it reaches some minimum value, then snaps back to long again.   

Timer 1 (which does not require a reload) does not exhibit this issue.   As I didn't really care to debug someone else's problem, I didn't bother to track down the specific cause.

ric
  • Total Posts : 23526
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2015/02/01 23:26:59 (permalink)
4 (1)
It turns out that code was missing a step.
You have to do a dummy read of TMR0L first to update TMR0H.
So, change
TMR0H += timer0ReloadVal16bit >> 8; 
TMR0L+= (uint8_t) timer0ReloadVal16bit;

to
TMR0L;    //dummy read to update TMR0H
TMR0H += timer0ReloadVal16bit >> 8;    //bump TMR0H
TMR0L+= (uint8_t) timer0ReloadVal16bit;    //update timer from TMR0L and TMR0H

I also post at: PicForum
Links to useful PIC information: http://picforum.ric323.co...opic.php?f=59&t=15
NEW USERS: Posting images, links and code - workaround for restrictions.
To get a useful answer, always state which PIC you are using!
dds
Starting Member
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2015/02/07 14:23:31 (permalink)
Please make MCC more reliable...Please! People are trying to rely on this, even businesses.
It is frustrating to find out once your'e in the middle of a design using microchip softwares and tools, in general, that the time taken for any simple design can easily become a nightmare, a waste of time, and a waste of money.
I cannot believe that third parties have a more reliable software and tools. Tools that people and businesses can count on at all times.

Please Microchip! Please!
dds
Starting Member
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2015/02/07 14:27:10 (permalink)
Please, Just make it reliable. That whatever module there is to use, it is reliable, that it simply works..Period...
dds
Starting Member
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2015/02/07 16:22:59 (permalink)
<p>Please, Just make it reliable. That whatever module there is to use, it is reliable, that it simply works..Period...</p>
ns.mchp
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2015/02/10 09:34:22 (permalink)
Thank you for the suggestion and feedback. If you ran into any issues or have specific concerns can you please provide us with specific details and we will try to get those rectified in the future releases. 
rdoerr01
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2015/02/13 09:12:42 (permalink)
I would like to see support on MC2 for the CAN module on micro-controllers like PIC18F458, PIC18F4680 and PIC18F46K80.  I've used all three of these in the past and I'm now working on a new design using the PIC18F46K80.  I have used the configurator by selecting the chip PIC18F46K22 and select the modules that it supports to get a good start, but then you have to modify a few of the registers since they are different on this chip.

Thanks
Ray
Jim Nickerson
User 452
  • Total Posts : 6184
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2015/02/13 09:21:13 (permalink)
3 (1)
I would be interested in enough documentation so I could provide my own custom add on for The Code Configurator.
excite
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2015/02/14 10:44:23 (permalink)
I would like to see the modules diagram to understand what I am configuring when I am configuring it, or some popup detail of that register.
Monkey D. Luffy
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 73
Re: Suggestions for the next release of MPLAB® Code Configurator 2015/03/05 17:54:08 (permalink)
is it possible for you to include MCC support for pic16f877a? Thanks
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 13
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5