LockedMPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2)

Author
Paul Kirby
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points : 0
2011/08/15 01:27:53 (permalink)

MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2)

Hello All

Has anyone else managed to get the ICD2 to power a custom dev board?
It works fine in the MPLAB 8.x but all I get is the following in MPLAB X:
"Target Vdd is outside expected range read 0.00, expected [ 4.25 - 5.50]"

And I have the PSU that come with the ICD2 connected to ICD2.

I just thought I would say that my projects are based around the PIC18F4550 device, and I have always used the ICD2 to program and debug my projects, I am aware that MPLAB X is still in beta, so I expect some issues here and there.

And at this current moment my projects have no built in PSU circuit added to it yet, so I have had to power my board via the ICD2 using its PSU.
Yes I know its only several small components to add the built in PSU circuit but I have always left the PSU part to last.

This has all been fine when I used it on MPLAB 8.x, but thought I would try this new version, which I must say looks great, but I need to have support to power my boards while they are in development via the ICD2 device.

In the project properties under ICD2 Power option I have "Power target from ICD2" but the tick box isn't clickable, is their a firmware update for the ICD2 in MPLAB X to support this?

*** Update ***
Forgot to say I am using ICD2 P/N 10-00397-R3 if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance.
Paul
post edited by Paul Kirby - 2011/08/15 01:30:56

16 Replies Related Threads

• Total Posts : 80500
    Re:MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2) 2011/09/05 09:12:56 (permalink)
    in "the MPLAB X limitation"forum  the ICD2 is not supported , why?

Paul Kirby
    Starting Member
    Re:MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2) 2011/09/05 20:56:33 (permalink)

in "the MPLAB X limitation"forum  the ICD2 is not supported , why?

No, the old ICD2 are the ones that are not supported in MPLAB X, the new ones listed as P/N 10-00397 are supported.
    I just need for the ICD2 to power my development board, apart from that I have had no issues.

Paul
    GeorgePauley
    • Total Posts : 1073
    Re:MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2) 2011/09/12 13:57:01 (permalink)
    Paul, Sorry but ICD2 under MPLAB X does not currently support powering target. I have written an enhancement request to enable this feature.
    Paul Kirby
    Starting Member
    Re:MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2) 2011/09/13 04:52:21 (permalink)
    Ok, thanks.

I'll stay with 8.7 for now, its a shame due to MPLAB X looks rather nice and more upto date with all the other IDE's.

Paul
    Re:MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2) 2011/12/15 12:24:50 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I'm so angry to see that with the new revision of MPLABX , ICD2 is no more supported !!! What I have to do now ? Buy new ICD3 !!! pffff I like Microship but i thinck that it was no so terrible to add ICD2 with this nice new IDE that I wait for years now! 

I juste have to stay with my old Mplab 8.x version now ...
    Jose Diaz
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 1676
    Re:MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2) 2011/12/15 13:12:55 (permalink)
    I known spending money on a new debugger is not something to look forward for to. But to put things in perspective you can get a PICkit 3:
    http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductSearch.aspx?Keywords=PG164130
    And it will have better performance and will support more devices than the old ICD2 for $45 USD. You do not need to go to an ICD3 unless you really want/need it.
    You might be interested the following thread too:
    http://www.microchip.com/forums/fb.ashx?m=615401

Jose

Paul Kirby
    Starting Member
    Re:MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2) 2011/12/15 22:06:31 (permalink)

I'm so angry to see that with the new revision of MPLABX , ICD2 is no more supported !!! What I have to do now ? Buy new ICD3 !!! pffff I like Microship but i thinck that it was no so terrible to add ICD2 with this nice new IDE that I wait for years now! 

I juste have to stay with my old Mplab 8.x version now ...

Well the ICD2 debugger does work with the MPLAB X IDE (well it did the last time I tried it), its just you loose certain features like powering up the board via the ICD2 device, not really too much of an issue, just power up the board via an external power source.
    There was a few more, just cannot remember what they were.

But like I have already said, I will be staying with the MPLAB 8 for now or until MPLAB X comes out of Beta.

Paul
    XGenerator
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 350
    Re:MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2) 2011/12/16 19:22:47 (permalink)
    Well we are out of Beta now.
    As for tools there are more reductions over the holidays.

We have posted this before but here it is in this thread. 

The MPLAB X team evaluated the viability of supporting MPLAB ICD2  in MPLAB X, but its architecture presented insurmountable roadblocks in performance and reliability.    Regretfully, the MPLAB X team has concluded that MPLAB X cannot  viably support MPLAB-ICD2.

MPLAB-ICD2 was  introduced over 10 years ago, long before a platform independent USB solutions existed.   It was replaced by MPLAB ICD3 over 5 years ago and lower cost tools, such as PICKIT 3 were also introduced at that time.    Both ICD3 and PICKIT3 show substantial reliability and programming / debugging speed improvements over ICD2. ICD3 and PICKIT3 implement a platform independent USB solution which works very well with MPLAB X A PICKIT3 can be purchased for under $50.00
    Microchip stopped adding new device support and stopped supporting ICD2 for new designs in September 2010.

If you would like to continue using MPLAB ICD2, MPLAB 8 will remain available indefinitely; however MPLAB 8 IDE and its current ICD2 support level will remain unchanged.

If you wish to discuss this further please feel free to send me a PM.
    Thanks

post edited by XGenerator - 2011/12/16 19:36:27
    Paul Kirby
    Starting Member
    Re:MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2) 2011/12/17 09:47:41 (permalink)
    XGenerator
    Well we are out of Beta now.

Well according to your site your not.
    From your siteMPLAB® X IDE is currently still in beta. Please ensure you read the limitations found on the start screen of the IDE. Technical support for the beta will only be provided via the testing forums.

Any how like I have said I will remain using version 8.xx for all my projects, and if for some reason I have to use a new PIC device in the future, I may change my mind.

XGenerator
    The MPLAB X team evaluated the viability of supporting MPLAB ICD2 in MPLAB X, but its architecture presented insurmountable roadblocks in performance and reliability. Regretfully, the MPLAB X team has concluded that MPLAB X cannot viably support MPLAB-ICD2.

I am rather confused now, what road blocks? The ICD2 is a hid device which communicates via byte arrays consisting of a command byte(s) and possible data, and as far as I know so is the ICD3, so what works for one should work for the other, sure the ICD2 may not have all the features that the ICD3 has, but they both follow the same protocol when talking the the host.

Also is there a compare page for the ICD2, ICD3 and PICkit3 ?
    Because if I was to buy a PICkit3 in the near future, I wouldn't want to be downgrading or loosing any features that I have on the ICD2.

Paul
    XGenerator
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 350
    Re:MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2) 2011/12/17 10:13:42 (permalink)
    We will be changing the Webb site information in the new year, once staff levels are back up. Right now we wanted to provide the release to those who have supported us on the forum and have been trying beta, working dilligently to this goal.

As we said we have done an evaluation. We found it unsuitable to migrate to MPLAB X. We feel we would be doing our customers a disservice rather than a good service to even try to continue. Anyone who moves to PICkit3 I am sure will find a superior product they will be happy with. We are not forcing you to move you can quite happily stay with MPLAB 8, but you are missing out on alot of good editing and advanced features. You only have to read the positive on what users find in the new IDE.

Thanks
    post edited by XGenerator - 2011/12/17 10:21:39
    Paul Kirby
    Starting Member
    Re:MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2) 2011/12/17 10:39:11 (permalink)
    I am not saying anything bad, I even tried the beta a while back and had no issues using it with the ICD2 apart from the powering up the board via ICD2 (which wasn't too much of an issue), I did like the new look and feel of X, but when I was told (cannot remember what forum) that ICD2 wouldn't be supported and we would need to all upgrade to ICD3 I went PAH.

So is there a compare chart of the 3 debuggers (ICD2, ICD3 and PICkit3) ? like the amount of breakpoints etc.

Paul
    Re:MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2) 2011/12/17 23:08:51 (permalink)
    Paul Kirby

I am rather confused now, what road blocks? The ICD2 is a hid device which communicates via byte arrays consisting of a command byte(s) and possible data, and as far as I know so is the ICD3, so what works for one should work for the other, sure the ICD2 may not have all the features that the ICD3 has, but they both follow the same protocol when talking the the host.  
    Paul

Neither the ICD2 Nor ICD3 tools are HID devices. Both use custom USB drivers. In fact, the earliest ICD2s were dual enumeration devices that required two unique sets of drivers. These ICD2s can not be supported at all by a multi platform USB solution. All new custom USB drivers would have to be written. That is one reason (among many others) why ICD2 support is not in MPLAB X.
    Ken_Pergola
    • Total Posts : 2148
    Re:MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2) 2011/12/18 21:03:39 (permalink)
    Hello Paul, Here's the comparison chart you were asking about: http://tinyurl.com/lojsdm (Scroll to the bottom of the page.) If you need a lot of simple program memory breakpoints (beyond the number of hardware breakpoints determined by the actual MCU, not the tool) they can be had via 'software breakpoints' which only the MPLAB ICD 3 and MPLAB REAL ICE tools support. I hope this helps. Best regards, Ken
    post edited by Ken_Pergola - 2011/12/18 21:09:02
    Re:MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2) 2011/12/19 06:12:54 (permalink)
    Hi there,

i'm also confused with the loss of ICD2 support for MPlab X, but anyway I don't care about buying an ICD3 or anything else : I only want to be able to program 1 type of chip, and ICD2 is supposed to do so.

It was working just fine (which is great when you buy something to microchip) until MPlabX removed support for it.

I'm using Linux and I was glad to see an IDE working on it so I didnt had to work under Windows. That's why I don't want to use MPlab.

Anyway, as I posted in another topic, is there a way to download an older version of MPlabX, so I could get back the ICD2 support ?

Thanks.
    Stri
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re:MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2) 2011/12/20 02:25:23 (permalink)
    So, ICD2 still doesn't works under MPLAB-X 1.0? I checked compatibility list, and ICD2 was green. So I installed this 1.0 version, and still no luck. How it can be?
    post edited by Stri - 2011/12/20 03:44:28

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    Jose Diaz
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 1676
    Re:MPLAB X IDE + ICD2 (Power target from ICD2) 2011/12/20 09:06:05 (permalink)
    Stri,
    The ICD2 is not supported any more. You found an html file that was being shared with MPLAB 8 and made it into the MPLAB X documentation. We'll remove the mention of ICD2 (and ICE2000, etc) from there. The rest of the release notes show ICD2 as not supported:
    The following tools are not supported now nor will be in the future:
    ·         MPLAB ICE 2000
    ·         MPLAB ICE 4000
    ·         MPLAB ICD 2
    ·         PICkit 1
    ·         PROMATE II
    ·         PICSTART Plus
    ·         MPLAB VDI
    ·         AN851 Bootloader
    ·         AN901/908

Jose

Jump to: