PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!!

Author
lerendeniss
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
2011/04/28 14:04:25 (permalink)

PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!!

Thanks to all!

I can use my PICkit 3 on OS X now. Serial number is appearing and connecting to target without any problem. I checked it with 18f4520 and its working. MPLAB X upgraded firmware at first from 01.26.52 to 01.26.56. Here are the details..

Connecting to MPLAB PICkit 3...
Firmware Suite Version.....01.26.52
Firmware type..............PIC18F

Downloading Firmware...
Downloading bootloader
Bootloader download complete
Downloading RS...
RS download complete
Downloading AP...
AP download complete
Firmware Suite Version.....01.26.56

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

16 Replies Related Threads

• Total Posts : 80500
    Re:PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!! 2011/04/30 04:16:13 (permalink)
    How you solved it??????
    I spent the last 6 hours trying to figure out what the problem is. The MPlab X won't give me the correct SN, instead will throw random characters. 

lerendeniss
    Re:PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!! 2011/04/30 08:09:42 (permalink)
    Try to use a PC instead of a MAC first, it will upgrade your firmware and then put it to the MAC. I did it so. By the way, pl check if your java is in 32 bit mode or not. 32 bit mode is not selected on my MAC and java 64bit java is the first selected in java preferences.
    Re:PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!! 2011/04/30 18:31:33 (permalink)
    Thanks very much, it work with me now. 
    I put it in PC and upgraded the firmware. 
    I hocked it in the mac again but it didn't work. I closed mplab x and killed the mchpmacusbdevice process. 
    I checked my java, both 32bit and 64 bit are selected i can't unselect one of them.  (I think i unselected both ! )
    I allowed SSL 2.0 clint. 

so now MPlab X can detect the SN of the Pickit 3 and apple to program Pic18. 

Re:PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!! 2011/05/04 20:17:00 (permalink)
    It worked once, then never worked again. 
    it detect the device, but never detect the SN ! 
    i think it is problem with the MPlab USB driver on mac OS
    lerendeniss
    Re:PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!! 2011/05/05 14:38:02 (permalink)
    I don't think so, because it should work every time if it worked at first. The driver should not be the problem, maybe java is the problem. Or try to use pickit3 programmer application for win. Install an older firmware and than try it again on mac.

Here is the web url:
    PICkit 3 Stand Alone Programmer App V1.0 Windows

robertpalmerjr
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!! 2011/05/16 07:01:17 (permalink)
    I'm having similar issues on OS X 10.6.  I've searched, I've read about the driver swapping (which doesn't apply to PICKit3)

I'm using the PIC18F26J50 - my firmware version is older, but as I understand it, the firmware version is specific to the target (PIC18F26J50) so I can't compare to lerendeniss since he's using a different target, correct?

In the "Project Environment" tab, I see:
    Debug Tool
      - Inactive Connection: PICKit3: BURxxxxxxxxx (9 numeric digits)

If I open the project properties window and select PICKit3, I have all of the options to configure and have them set as I want them

I checked the Java version (using /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences) and both 32 bit and 64 bit were checked - tried unchecking 64 bit, but that also unchecked 32 bit.  Appears both have to be selected.  I tried swapping the "preferred version" order and putting the 32 bit first.   That didn't seem to help

I'm not sure what lerendeniss is referring to by pointing to the Stand Alone programmer - are you saying to just use that to do your programming?  Or are you saying to use that to upload the latest firmware?  

Where can you get the latest firmware?  I searched all over the Microchip site for PICKit 3 firmware, but found nothing.

Also, I tried running the Stand Alone programmer in my Windows VM under parallels (MPLAB 8 works FINE here).  I would never see the PICKit and kept crashing :(

Robert Palmer Jr
    Ingenutec, LLC
    lerendeniss
    Re:PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!! 2011/05/16 14:18:24 (permalink)
    I say to use Stand alone programmer just to upload the latest firmware. I could also not find any firmware inside the website, so i used this and worked fine. About the firmware version: After reading your reply, i tried to build a new project with pickit3 and a 26j50 without connecting it to the device(i don't have it), i see this message:

Downloading Firmware...
    Downloading AP...
    AP download complete
    Firmware type..............PIC18FJ

Target device was not found. You must connect to a target device to use PICkit 3.

im not sure if it will work but i see this message in the project environment tab:
    Debug tool
    Active connection: Pickit 3 BURxxxxx... (correct BUR num.)
    ------

What is the current firmware version on your pickit3?

Here is the PATH on my comp.;
    /Applications/microchip/mplabx/mplab_ide.app/Contents/Resources/mplab_ide/mplablibs/modules/ext/PICKIT3.jar/PK3FW_012656.jam

To upload it on MAC, open 'project properties', go to PicKit3 section and select 'firmware' in 'option categories' there you will be able to load the new firmware.

Lastly, open /Applications/Utilities/ in finder and right click on java preferences and 'get info', there you will see a section 'open in 32-bit mode' pl. check if it is selected or not. It is not selected on my os.

I can send the .jam file by email if you need.
    Eren
    robertpalmerjr
    Starting Member
    Re:PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!! 2011/05/16 16:20:34 (permalink)
    Well, I found what you are referring to with the 1.26.56 firmware.  I also found in the project properties where it can be upgraded.  Unfortunately, my problem is now that I'm seeing "Inactive Connection: PICKit3" (and no BUR number).  I ad seen the Inactive connection WITH a BUR number previously, but I don't remember the steps to get to that point.

Well, I just tried a build and suddenly the BUR number appeared but it still says Inactive Connection.  

I have set the firmware in the project properties configuration and if I go back to that setting, the file is still listed there.  

I wish there was a way to manually upgrade the firmware instead of just "hoping" that the programming process will do it automatically.

Now when I try to program a device, I see the error in the output:

Connecting to programmer...
    The programmer could not be started: Could not acquire hardware tool communications resources: PICkit3PlatformTool SN#BURXXXXXXXXX

I quit and restarted MPLAB

I now get further,
    the PICKit3 tab appears and I get:
    Connection Failed.

In the output window, I get a different error:
    The programmer could not be started: Could not connect to tool hardware: PICkit3PlatformTool, com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.PICKit3Tool.PICkit3DbgToolManager

I have tried unplugging and replugging while MPLAB X is running - this makes it worse - I just get:
    Connection Failed.

I don't see even the "Connecting to MPLAB PICKit 3..."

It appears that MPLAB X does not like having the PICKit 3 unplugged/plugged while it is running - it appears that it MUST be plugged in BEFORE MPLAB X starts.

I went to Java Preferences and unchecked 32bit (which forced 64bit to uncheck also).  BTW, the version listed is: 1.6.0_24_b07-334

I'm still getting: 
    The programmer could not be started: Could not connect to tool hardware: PICkit3PlatformTool, com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.PICKit3Tool.PICkit3DbgToolManager

WOW - after trying MANY times (just quit and restart MPLAB X), I got to here:
    Firmware Suite Version.....01.25.14

Downloading Firmware...
    could not open file PK3AP_99_010819.hex 
    Failed to download firmware
    Connection Failed.

I don't know why it's trying to open that file - I verified that I have selected the 1.26.56 version (and don't see any others)

So, we've come a long way, but now I don't know how to go any further.  I guess I could extract the firmware file and try to program it into the PICKit from my windows machine

Robert Palmer Jr
    Ingenutec, LLC
    robertpalmerjr
    Starting Member
    Re:PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!! 2011/05/16 17:07:08 (permalink)
    I looked inside the PICKit3 Jar file and DID find the file PK3AP_99_010819.hex.  Not sure why the software can't find/open it.

I switched to my PC (VM) and tried doing the upgrade using MPLAB 8.
    I have the following files in my MPLAB 8 PICKit 3 folder:
    PK3FW_012307.jam
    PK3FW_012514.jam
    PK3FW_012656.jam - just copied from the MPLAB X install

The ONLY one I can successfully install is the 012307 (which is OLDER than what I had).  If I try to install any of the others, I get various errors.

Robert Palmer Jr
    Ingenutec, LLC
    robertpalmerjr
    Starting Member
    Re:PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!! 2011/05/17 07:38:33 (permalink)
    Lot's of trial and error and a little support.  Apparently you can't just copy the firmware file - there are other important files too - which ones?  Well, I guess that's for Microchip.  In any case, I updated my WINDOWS version of MPLAB to 8.7 - this contains the 1.26.56 version of the firmware.  First connection and it successfully updated my PICKit 3 to the 1.26.56 firmware.  I then programmed a target successfully.

I went MPLAB X and tried - I'm getting closer...
    Debug Tool still shows: 
    • Inactive Connection: PICkit3: BURxxxxxxxxx 
    However, now in the PICKit 3 output window, I get:

Target detected
    Device ID Revision = 4

Programming...
    configuration memory
    Address: fff9 Expected Value: ff Received Value: f7
    Failed to program device

and the main output window shows:
    Programming target...
    The programmer could not be started: Failed to program the target device

Something is still wrong because I can program this target from the MPLAB 8.7 on Windows (running in a VM on my Mac).

Robert Palmer Jr
    Ingenutec, LLC
    robertpalmerjr
    Starting Member
    Re:PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!! 2011/05/17 09:55:02 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I started digging through the logs and found this:
    FINE [MPLAB]: MdbProgrammer: Created new MdbProgrammer
    FINE [MPLAB]: MCDebugger: Acquiring MPLABCommTool for PICkit3PlatformTool :=MPLABCommUSB:=04D8:=900A:=0002:=Microchip Technology Inc.:=PICkit 3:=BUR092310849:=x:=en
    FINE [MPLAB]: MCDebugger: Searching for PICkit3PlatformTool software com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.PICKit3Tool.PICkit3DbgToolManager
    FINE [MPLAB]: MCDebugger: Found com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.PICKit3Tool.PICkit3DbgToolManager, creating PICkit3PlatformTool software
    FINE [MPLAB]: RIDbgToolManager constructor
    FINE [MPLAB]: RIDbgToolManager Engage
    FINE [MPLAB]: MCDebugger: Initializing PICkit3PlatformTool software
    FINE [MPLAB]: RIDbgToolManager Init
    FINE [MPLAB]: Before creating TargetMemoryTransferMgr
    FINE [MPLAB]: Before creating ControlPointMediator
    FINE [MPLAB]: Before creating MemoryModel
    INFO [MPLAB]: Lookup failed to create com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.memory.memorytypes.PeripheralMemory
    com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.memory.MemoryException: PIC18F26J50 does not have peripheral memory
    at com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.memory.memorytypes.PeripheralMemory.Initialize(PeripheralMemory.java:28)
    at com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.memory.memories.MCMemoryModel.Engage(MCMemoryModel.java:58)
    Caused: com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.assemblies.PartyException
    at com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.memory.memories.MCMemoryModel.Engage(MCMemoryModel.java:61)
    at com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.assemblies.assembly.MCAssembly.lookup(MCAssembly.java:159)
    at com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.RealICETool.RIDbgToolManager.Init(RIDbgToolManager.java:214)
    at com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.RealICETool.RIDbgToolManager.SetHWTool(RIDbgToolManager.java:468)
    at com.microchip.mplab.mdbcore.debugger.MCDebugger.Connect(MCDebugger.java:102)
    at com.microchip.mplab.debugger.mdb.MdbProgrammer$1.run(MdbProgrammer.java:55)
    [catch] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

In messages.log, this appears EVERYTIME I try to program (and it fails):
    Searching jar-containing directory: /Applications/microchip/mplabx/mplab_ide.app/Contents/Resources/mplab_ide/mplablibs/modules/ext
    Parsing XML file: java.io.ByteArrayInputStream@52de9b90
    Cannot find an <edc:Oscillator> element.

I cranked up the logging level and looked in the MPLAB.xml file.  I've attached the file that contains a full output from ONE programming attempt.  There are many "MemoryExceptions" -- 26J50 does not have boot memory, does not have id memory, does not have EE data memory, does not have peripheral memory, does not have flash data memory, 

Also getExecDesc failed (did not find PICkit3DbgToolManager.pe)

I'd REALLY love to get this working and it seems I'm close - maybe the 18F26J50 isn't supported yet?  But I don't see anything else that would indicate that.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Robert Palmer Jr
    Ingenutec, LLC
    Goldigin
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!! 2011/11/01 15:11:22 (permalink)
    Hi! I just got my pickit 3, but i can't get it working... What i am using is a Snow leopard MBP, pickit 3 (with your firmware version) and a pic24fv32ka301 (i have other pics but i didn't have time to try them yet). If i open mplab x, i select the pickit 3 (can't see device id... well, i bought a clone, but i don't think it's so relevant, because it's a copy) click ok and i try run target, build and write or receive data memory, it downloads the latest firmware, but then stops with "CONNECTION PROBLEM". Also, a "stop sign" saying java exception null. can you give me a foolproof guide? this is what i did: i have windows xp in 2 virtual machines, one in virtualbox and one in parallel tools, but no native installation anywhere. i startet the virtualbox VM, connected the pickit then opened MPLAB 8. Selected pickit3 from programmer menu, downloaded the latest firmware then said "OK" to the warning box. can't find the device. i beleive it's connected properly (tried with every pair of ICSP pins). I tried then to open pk3 app. It ask me if i want to download the latest firmware (version 1.36.something... strange?). if i say yes, because i am using a virtual machine, but can't explain why, i have errors while upploading the new firmware so i have to reconnect it to mplab and update with that one, but i can't read or program any device with the standalone app. if i say no, i can only power the target chwcked on java preferences, it appears i have 2 verions of java installed, 1.60.26 and 1.60.22 if i remember correctly
    prj
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re:PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!! 2011/11/04 14:15:10 (permalink)
    robertpalmerjr and Goldigin,

I ran a PICkit 3 on my Mac (OSX 10.6) with an 18F24J50 (I did not have a 26J50 available). This is what I got:

Firmware Suite Version.....01.26.71

Downloading Firmware...
    Downloading bootloader
    Bootloader download complete
    Downloading RS...
    RS download complete
    Downloading AP...
    AP download complete
    Firmware Suite Version.....01.26.81

Target detected

The firmware update took a very long time, but completed nonetheless.

In a terminal window in the Mac (NOT in Windows under a VM), please enter: java -version
    and send us a copy of the output. On my system I get:

java version "1.6.0_26"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03-384-10M3425)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02-384, mixed mode)

indicating a 64-bit JRE.

robertpalmerjr, I have forwarded the log you sent to the appropriate engineers that handle device memories.

Thanks.

Re:PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!! 2012/04/26 08:35:17 (permalink)
    Hi,

How did you get it working?
    Is-it the only way to update the firmware with a PC first?
    I have the SN with Mplab, but the debug tool shows and inactive connection to the pickit 3
    Whatever I try to do with programming or debugging, mplab seems to work but no result.
    I have screen like : " ****************" or "connecting to programmer"

Thanks for your help 
    prj
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re:PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!! 2012/04/27 14:16:45 (permalink)
    Guest: I am presuming you are on OSX (since that is with what this thread has dealt). Which version of OSX? Can you please do the following: 1) Plug the PICkit 3 into your system, 2) Bring up MPLAB X, 3) Go to menu mplab_ide and select Preferences; then select Embedded and in there select Generic Settings, 4) Turn logging on to FINEST and make note of the name and where the MPLABX log file will be placed, 5) Now right click on your project and select Properties, 6) In the properties box you should see the S/N of the PICkit 3; click and highlight it and then select Apply followed by Ok, 7) Now try to do your debug/run or programming. If it fails, immediately exit MPLAB X (otherwise the log will be overwritten). Please send the log to devtools@microchip.com care of PRJ. Please include your email so we can get back to you. Thanks.
    Re:PICkit 3 now working on OS X !!! 2012/05/03 11:09:09 (permalink)
    HI PRJ.
    Thanks for your answer.
    Yes I'm using OSX 10.6.8. Followed your steps under windows XP first. And everything seems working now. Then moved under Mac and it works too.
    I can see the firmware suite version : 01.27.04
    Algorithm Plugin Version : 01.13.01
    OS version: 01.14.22
    Voltages
    And also Devise Id and Devise Id Revision
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5