• AVR Freaks

Hot!Break point cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address

Author
galed
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
2011/04/17 18:00:22 (permalink)

Break point cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address

I'm working with the PIC24FJ256GB110 with MPLAB X beta5. The project I'm working on is stored in my dropbox folder so I can access it from the lab at school and from home. The computer at home is running windows 7, the computers at school are on XP. Both computers have beta5 and the latest version of C30 Lite. I'm using the same physical pickit3 in both locations.

When I try to set a break point while on the computers at school, it compiles and programs fine. As it starts to program the device, however, the break point symbol changes to look broken. The debugger console comes up with the message:

Break point at line 31 in file //blacksun/galed/Windows Folders/My Documents/Dropbox/Reflow Controller/Reflow Controller Hardware.X/main.c cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address

Setting break points on the computer at home (Win7) works. I can step, run to break point, run to cursor, etc.

I'm sort of at a loss here for what to do to make it work. I even just created a new project using the same source files at school with no success. Is this a known issue? How do I fix it?
post edited by galed - 2011/04/17 18:01:57

12 Replies Related Threads

crashpilot
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:Break point cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address 2012/02/14 11:45:52 (permalink)
      Hi, I am trying MPLAB X ver 1.00 on a Windows Vista 32 computer. When debugging with PICKIT3, I experience exactly the same problem as described above: Breakpoints appear "broken", in the debugger console there is a message "Break point at line .... cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address" and the program does not stop at the breakpoint. When I do exactly the same thing under MPLAB 8, there is no problem. Can anybody tell me the reason for this problem and how to get rid of it? Thanks.
    JMH08
    • Total Posts : 440
    Re:Break point cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address 2012/02/17 10:15:29 (permalink)
    galed

I'm working with the PIC24FJ256GB110 with MPLAB X beta5. The project I'm working on is stored in my dropbox folder so I can access it from the lab at school and from home. The computer at home is running windows 7, the computers at school are on XP. Both computers have beta5 and the latest version of C30 Lite. I'm using the same physical pickit3 in both locations.

When I try to set a break point while on the computers at school, it compiles and programs fine. As it starts to program the device, however, the break point symbol changes to look broken. The debugger console comes up with the message:

Break point at line 31 in file //blacksun/galed/Windows Folders/My Documents/Dropbox/Reflow Controller/Reflow Controller Hardware.X/main.c cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address

Setting break points on the computer at home (Win7) works. I can step, run to break point, run to cursor, etc.

I'm sort of at a loss here for what to do to make it work. I even just created a new project using the same source files at school with no success. Is this a known issue? How do I fix it?

Beta 5 is a very old version of MPLAB X. It is highly likely that this problem has been fixed since then. Please upgrade to MPLAB X 1.0a. If the problem still persists then I will see what I can do to help you.
    JMH08
    • Total Posts : 440
    Re:Break point cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address 2012/02/17 10:16:23 (permalink)
    crashpilot

Hi, I am trying MPLAB X ver 1.00 on a Windows Vista 32 computer. When debugging with PICKIT3, I experience exactly the same problem as described above: Breakpoints appear "broken", in the debugger console there is a message "Break point at line .... cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address" and the program does not stop at the breakpoint. When I do exactly the same thing under MPLAB 8, there is no problem. Can anybody tell me the reason for this problem and how to get rid of it? Thanks.

The error means exactly what it says, the translator cannot resolve the line of code where the breakpoint is into a program memory address. The most common reason for this is that the line of code does not actually represent compiled code. For instance, if optimizations have been turned on then perhaps the code has been optimized out.

The best way to find that out if there is actually code in program memory is to build for debugging (this can be done by clicking the down arrow on the Clean and Build Project button and selecting the Clean and Build for Debugging menu item). Then open up the program memory window, make sure the format is set to symbol, not hex, and scroll down to where you think your code should be and actually see what is in program memory.

By the way, if you do find valid code there, you can set a breakpoint right in the program memory window which will at least allow you to debug the project. It's not a perfect solution but it may get you moving forward until we can figure out why you can't set the breakpoint on a source line.

• Total Posts : 80500
    Re:Break point cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address 2012/03/30 00:09:26 (permalink)
    I have the same problem. I want to debug an assembler code file (ASPIC) in a HiTech C project. I can set the breakpoint in the memory window as you suggested, and I hit the breakpoint, and I can single step through the memory window. But I can't set the breakpoint on an assembler source line, and I don't see any source when I hit the breakpoint.
    Dididito
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:Break point cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address 2012/09/28 05:09:46 (permalink)
    I saw that this thread was started on April 2011. But today (September 2012), with the last version of MPLABX and C30 I still can not debug my code. Have the same error, I would say the classic one:

Break point at line.......... cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address

Does anybody fix it? How?

Hope you could help me.

annapolis
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 1808
    Re:Break point cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address 2012/09/28 09:09:08 (permalink)
    Sometimes this can be the result of using multiple editors (Linux/Win) on the source file.
    What is your OS ?
    Do you have a source code editor that shows line endings ?
    Alternately, MPLAB 8 has a feature to Repair mismatched line endings.
    MPLAB 8 Main menu - Edit - Properties - 'ASM' File Types - Repair Mismatched CR/LF on Save.
    Some have suggested that Notepad will also fix CR/LF on File Save.
    post edited by annapolis - 2012/09/28 13:19:51
    • Total Posts : 80500
    Re:Break point cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address 2012/10/26 10:46:12 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    I've been having the same problem, what I found as solution was to create a new project and a new file, and save them directly in my desktop. The problem was that I had saved it in a file that was unreachable for the program, and it could not find it in there. This solved the problem of the breakpoint instantly.

wink Lore.
    eg67150
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Break point cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address 2019/06/17 07:46:48 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    The post is 9 years old now , but i still ran into the same problem with the version 5.20 and compiler version 1.38. After a few tries, it turned out that the debugger is still very picky about the naming of the project Path. 
    Mine was containing a german umlaut "ü" and it is the point that turned the debugger loopy.
    Curiously this didnt seem to be a problem in the previous versions of my project, but seem to be since i upgraded to version 5.20.

Hope this might help ppl encountering the same troubles
    Federico Ceccarelli
    Ing.
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Break point cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address 2019/11/01 11:48:09 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Hi! Ive been fighting with this issue since i started using MPLAB X 3.05 a few month ago. 

I have noticed, thanks to @annapolis, that GIT correct the ending of the lines. I had this option set by default as comes in the installation.
    You should be sure to disable core.autocrlf un GIT if you are using it. And if not you should start using GIT jajaj 

Good bie! hope it helps.
    ric
    • Total Posts : 24222
    Re:Break point cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address 2019/11/01 14:57:42 (permalink)
    fededc88
    Hi! Ive been fighting with this issue since i started using MPLAB X 3.05 a few month ago.

Why did you start using 3.05 a few months ago?
    That is an ancient version that was released back in 2015.
    It's up to v5.30 now.

I also post at: PicForum
    Links to useful PIC information: http://picforum.ric323.co...opic.php?f=59&t=15
    NEW USERS: Posting images, links and code - workaround for restrictions.
    To get a useful answer, always state which PIC you are using!
    Federico Ceccarelli
    Ing.
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Break point cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address 2019/11/01 15:41:43 (permalink)
    Hi ric.

That's not up to me. At home I use 5.00 since last year.

But newer IDE versions gives me a lot of headaches with old projects.

Regards!
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 17924
    Re:Break point cannot be resolved to a valid program memory address 2019/11/01 16:35:32 (permalink)
    1. You can have more than on version of MPLabX on a computer.
    2. What problems?  what would an old version of MPLabX be different?  I would assume the Project was Built with the same Compiler in both versions of MPLabX.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5