• AVR Freaks

transistor of choice for mulitiplexing?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
bonedoc
  • Total Posts : 1019
  • Reward points : 0
RE: transistor of choice for mulitiplexing? 2010/01/06 23:13:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: K8LH

Oh, now they're RGB LEDs (LOL)?  Yeah, you can still do it with 5 pins but you'll need three 16-bit constant current sinking driver ICs.  I'll attach a graphic shortly...

Mike

<added>

I added the 5-pin MacMux© drawing but you could also wire it up using more traditional techniques.  You could use 4 pins for the layer (anode) drivers, plus 1 <CLK> pin, plus 3 <DAT> pins (8 pins total).  Or you could cascade the driver ICs which would use 4 pins for the layer (anode) drivers, plus 1 <CLK> pin, plus 1 <DAT> pin (6 pins total).

Many other possibilities too.

Have fun...

Thats nice! I havent learned about some of those things yet. I would really like to learn about the drivers. One problem that I have now is that I need to go with a different chip, and maybe move to something bigger than the low pin count board. I am using the 16f690. PortB is 4 pins. PortC is nice because it has 8 IO pins, but PORTA has 6 and one is an input only. This is tough with my beginner thinking because if I have 6 output pins I can assign two columns to the port "RGBRGB". If I make a cool routine and want to change colors, I can just shift left or right to do so, rather than repeating three times the code.

What is a good pic for led designs? In my mind, something with several IOs on a nicely laid out port so that may things can be set it one port modification. I would also like to learn to use nixie tubes and I see they use drivers. They must take 5v to 120v? Not sure.
P Lameijn
  • Total Posts : 1984
  • Reward points : 0
RE: transistor of choice for mulitiplexing? 2010/01/07 00:04:22 (permalink)
What is a good pic for led designs?

Every pic will do if the pin count is OK to your needs.

I would also like to learn to use nixie tubes and I see they use drivers. They must take 5v to 120v?

Have you considered downloading a datasheet of the nixie tube?
It's difficult to design a circuit if you have no idea what is nixie tube is or how it works...

Regards,
Peter
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2021 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5