• AVR Freaks

USB-MIDI Project up and running

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
raichea
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 67
  • Reward points : 0
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/03/13 07:31:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: synapsys
I took out the AC descriptors as suggested by Chinzei. Device Manager now only shows the USB Audio Device as he said. The device enumerates properly and USBDeview indicates everything is okay.  However, my problem is still the same, no MIDI devices show up in MIDI-OX (or any other applications).

I had another thought... what VID/PID are you using? If you're using the default Microchip ones, they may be cached somewhere and linked with an incorrect driver. I still don't think I see the Composite Device... I wish I had access to my hardware so I could check for certain.... you might try using the mistralXG VID/PID.

Steve.
chinzei
  • Total Posts : 2250
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/03/13 07:51:23 (permalink)
Original: synapsys

I tried what you suggested. There were 6 USB devices marked Unknown devices. I uninstalled them and I uninstalled my device. I reconnected my device and it enumerates the same (i.e. Composite and Audio devices). Still the MIDI does not show up in MIDI-OX devices

I guess I will try another computer to see if the same things happens.

When you see the USB audio device (and a composite device) for the MIDI device on Device Manager without any error, the MIDI device is enumerated fine. Also, Windows attach the in-box device driver to the device without no problem. For more confirmation, double click on the device instance in Device Manager and see the property of the device. You'll see a WDM MIDI device under the MIDI device tree in the property dialog.

Even if the MIDI device was properly installed like above, there may be some problem on the Windows side which prevents the device from seeing on MIDI-OX.

Well known problems are,
a) Conflict with a camera driver
b) Too many audio (MIDI) devices on the registry

a) A device driver for a Logitec camera is known to conflict with in-box MIDI driver. Also some another camera drivers do. Uninstalling the camera driver cures it.

b) The registry overflows by too many audio (MIDI) devices. The registry holds all devices attached once to the PC. Delete unused audio devices on UDBDeview.

USBDeview
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

There seem to be many other reasons here.
I've seen a Windows box, to which neither of above cases is applied.

Then, it is a good idea to try on another PC.

Tsuneo
synapsys
  • Total Posts : 247
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/03/13 08:43:48 (permalink)
I had another thought... what VID/PID are you using? If you're using the default Microchip ones, they may be cached somewhere and linked with an incorrect driver. I still don't think I see the Composite Device... I wish I had access to my hardware so I could check for certain.... you might try using the mistralXG VID/PID.

I had the same thought so I did try the mistralXG VID/PID. Same results [:@]

Regards
Synapsys

synapsys
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/03/13 09:04:33 (permalink)
Well known problems are,
a) Conflict with a camera driver
b) Too many audio (MIDI) devices on the registry

a) A device driver for a Logitec camera is known to conflict with in-box MIDI driver. Also some another camera drivers do. Uninstalling the camera driver cures it.

b) The registry overflows by too many audio (MIDI) devices. The registry holds all devices attached once to the PC. Delete unused audio devices on UDBDeview.

I don't have a camera driver installed.
I went into the registry and deleted all the midi devices.
There are no other Audio devices listed in USBDeview.

I'm going to try a different computer as soon as a can.

Regards,
Synapsys

• Total Posts : 80500
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/03/13 16:47:46 (permalink)
[quoute]You could do this quite simply... one of the Microchip examples is a USB COM port.[/quoute]

AN please, i've just reconfigured system, different installations on different HDs/partititions, I've now managed to collect most PDFs
into one folder, but still have different places containing ANs. some of them can be viewed via software interface...

I'm new to USB...a few days ago i have read through numerous ANs and TBs about USB (and can remember the directory name somehow), most of them using C, but NP, i can convert to ASM once i understand the features of my device/interface.

Also new Windows (Longhorn = 2008, and Vista) is better on system devices, it is entirely different.
on WIN98 i had serious problems to make certain USB devices work.

It is unknown from the thread which Windows are you using.

[quoute]one approach I'm considering is a second MIDI port

I have seen MIDI controls in certain software over a number of years, but never understood much of it.
only recently.

What i mean is for professional users it looks obvious, and they think others understand the technical details,
but that's not always true. Two years ago i had very vague understanding of MIDI.

another question that is just arising, is it still using these DIN connectors?
can it only use DIN connectors?
you see i do not use hardware MIDI myself.

aspforum.mchp.guest
raichea
Starting Member
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/03/14 05:43:39 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: hybridpic
AN please, i've just reconfigured system, different installations on different HDs/partititions, I've now managed to collect most PDFs
into one folder, but still have different places containing ANs. some of them can be viewed via software interface...

<ADDED - the link below fails as it was created dynamically... after clicking on it, just click on Documentation in the left-hand navigation bar>

There are lots of Microchip docs for USB... check the USB documentation page http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=2651&param=en534491... in particular.
AN956 - Migrating Applications to USB from RS-232 UART with Minimal Impact on PC Software

I'm new to USB...a few days ago i have read through numerous ANs and TBs about USB (and can remember the directory name somehow), most of them using C, but NP, i can convert to ASM once i understand the features of my device/interface.

I spent three or four months (spare time) reading on the technologies before I started my design. I think there's little alternative - you have to go through a learning process if you want to go beyond the sample applications.

I use WinXP mainly, with some Linux.

MIDI still uses the same 5-pin DIN connector as it always has.
post edited by raichea - 2009/03/14 07:13:06
synapsys
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/03/14 08:47:14 (permalink)
I plugged my device into another XP machine (relatively virgin as far as software is concerned) and the USB Audio Device now shows up as a MIDI device grin

Of course this means that there is something installed on my development machine that is interfering with the USB device driver. However, since it is my development machine I am reluctant to start unintalling device drivers to see what it is.

BTW: The device is using a PIC24FJ256GB110 MCU and the latest USB stack version.

Thanks for all the help everyone has given me. I will post when (if) i find out what is causing the problem on my dev machine.

Regards,
Synapsys

synapsys
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/03/14 08:53:36 (permalink)
Raichea, you made mention of the fact that your Product ID (PID) was sub-licensed from Microchip. Could you tell me how to go about doing this?

Thanks!

Regards,
Synapsys
kenn
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/03/14 19:26:18 (permalink)
... your Product ID (PID) was sub-licensed from Microchip. Could you tell me how to go about doing this?

The answer is in the Microchip USB FAQ.

what, me assemble?
raichea
Starting Member
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/03/15 10:24:49 (permalink)

I plugged my device into another XP machine (relatively virgin as far as software is concerned) and the USB Audio Device now shows up as a MIDI device grin

Excellent news! I'd certainly be interested to find out the cause of the problem if you ever figure it out. Although USBDeview worked for me, your experience suggests it's a little more complicated.

Thanks to kenn for answering the VID/PID question... for some reason, I've had problems getting to the forum for the last day or so.

Steve.
synapsys
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/03/15 10:32:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: raichea

Excellent news! I'd certainly be interested to find out the cause of the problem if you ever figure it out. Although USBDeview worked for me, your experience suggests it's a little more complicated.

I certainly will let you know! Of course the best thing to do would be to write a Windows WDM driver that works under all circumstances wink The lack of multi-client support in the existing standard driver alone is enough to prompt me to write one. If I only had the time sad

Regards,
Synapsys

raichea
Starting Member
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/03/18 15:40:23 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: raichea
I still don't think I see the Composite Device... I wish I had access to my hardware so I could check for certain....

Well there's something I've learned, there is, indeed, a Composite Device in my Device Manager.... just never noticed before (different part of the device tree). Apologies for the temporary confusion, but at least it's now resolved.

So it looks like the AC Interface does cause this to appear - as noted before, it is mandated by the USB-MIDI spec.

Steve.
synapsys
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/03/19 05:42:27 (permalink)
So it looks like the AC Interface does cause this to appear - as noted before, it is mandated by the USB-MIDI spec.

Yes, according to the spec it is mandatory so I put it back in my PIC24 based device Smile

Regards,
Synapsys

kajuk
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/04/24 12:38:06 (permalink)
Hi,

I've being using my version of USB MIDI implementation in my project for some time it's working fine with USB Framework 2.3.
You can see the source code http://www.megadrum.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=702. There are also pre-compiled firmwares
for PIC18F2550, PIC18F2450 and PIC18Fk50 there. But today I've tried it with USB Framework 2.4a and for some reasons it got
a bit broken. The USB MIDI device is still being detected but no communication after that. I've read the release notes and don't
see anything which could cause this. I'm sure it is something trivial but for now I just went back to v2.3 and it works ok again.
I'll probably try to look more into this once I have time for this.
kajuk
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/04/24 16:00:38 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: kajuk

Hi,

I've being using my version of USB MIDI implementation in my project for some time it's working fine with USB Framework 2.3.
You can see the source code http://www.megadrum.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=702. There are also pre-compiled firmwares
for PIC18F2550, PIC18F2450 and PIC18Fk50 there. But today I've tried it with USB Framework 2.4a and for some reasons it got
a bit broken. The USB MIDI device is still being detected but no communication after that. I've read the release notes and don't
see anything which could cause this. I'm sure it is something trivial but for now I just went back to v2.3 and it works ok again.

In fact I just tested it with v2.4a Framework on other chips and it appears the problem only manifests itself with pic18f2450/2550
but it works fine with pic18f13k50/14k50,  pic24fj128gb106 and pic32mx440f512h.
xiaofan
  • Total Posts : 6247
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/04/24 16:46:50 (permalink)

Of course this means that there is something installed on my development machine that is interfering with the USB device driver. However, since it is my development machine I am reluctant to start unintalling device drivers to see what it is.

You can try to use usbdeview to clear up the phantom USB device which you may used during your development process.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

It helped me when I was experimenting with the USB stacks.

USB_Links and libusb
synapsys
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/04/25 05:49:58 (permalink)
Hi xiaofan,

Thanks for the suggestion Smile I do use USBDevView while developing USB apps. It showed a few phantom USB devices which I uninstalled to no avail. There is no specific evidence that it is a USB driver that is interferring with the USB MIDI device on my development machine. It may be some application, service or maybe even a registry problem. As I indicated before my USB MIDI device enumerates properly on my dev machine but the MIDI devices do not show up in any applications. However, the device works properly on several other machines.

Regards,
Bob
kajuk
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/05/17 12:23:33 (permalink)

Hi,

In fact I just tested it with v2.4a Framework on other chips and it appears the problem only manifests itself with pic18f2450/2550
but it works fine with pic18f13k50/14k50,  pic24fj128gb106 and pic32mx440f512h.

I've updated the source code and it now works correctly for all chips when compiled with 2.4a Framework in both USB_POLLING and USB_INTERRUPT mode.
xiaofan
  • Total Posts : 6247
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/05/18 04:49:06 (permalink)
Just wondering if you could post the code here or to a internet site? Thanks.
You need to register in the megadrum forum in order to download the code and I've got too many passwords. wink

USB_Links and libusb
kajuk
RE: USB-MIDI Project up and running 2009/05/18 05:03:04 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: xiaofan

Just wondering if you could post the code here or to a internet site? Thanks.
You need to register in the megadrum forum in order to download the code and I've got too many passwords. wink

Sure, here it is.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5