• AVR Freaks

Pickit2 bug with T1OSCEN?

Author
enki
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
2007/05/17 07:18:34 (permalink)

Pickit2 bug with T1OSCEN?

I posted this in the microcontroller discussion group. I think it may be more appropriate here.

With the 16F627A I keep getting a "verification of configuration failed" message when I set the fuse _INTOSC_NO_CLKOUT and have the instruction bsf T1CON, T1OSCEN. Changing the fuse to an external oscillator type or removing the bsf T1CON, T1OSCEN instruction solves the problem. Am still quite new to microcontrollers and if I read the datasheet right the 627A can use the internal oscillator and timer 1 can use a crystal.

According to a forumer he tried the above fuse and instruction pair using his Picstart and he encountered no problem. Is this a Pickit2 bug? Do I have a faulty unit? Or am I doing something wrong? How do I get around this problem? I got this Pickit2 via Microchip Direct less than a month ago. Thanks.

2 Replies Related Threads

PICkit2Dev
    • Total Posts : 994
    RE: Pickit2 bug with T1OSCEN? 2007/05/17 09:42:52 (permalink)
    enki,

This is a problem related to ISCP programming due to the fact that the T1 OSC share the same pins with the PGx programming signals.  ICD 2 also shares this problem and will not program a part once it has been programmed this way.

There is a workaround, but using it requires that you give up some features.  It requires specific timing of applying VDD and VPP voltages.  This means that you won't be able program target-powered devices (of any part family) while using this work-around device file.  To use it, follow these steps.
    !!! - Make you have downloaded and installed v2.30 first.
    1) Close the PICkit 2 application
    2) Navigate to the PICkit 2 installation folder, C:\Program Files\Microchip\PICkit 2 v2
    3) Rename the device file "PK2DeviceFile.dat" -> "PK2DeviceFile.dat v1.30"
       - This is important so you still have the original device file and can rename it back to "PK2DeviceFile.dat" if you need to use it again.
    4) Download the ZIP archive attached to this message.
    5) Unzip the device file and copy it into your PICkit 2 directory (C:\Program Files\Microchip\PICkit 2 v2)
    6) Open the PICkit 2 application
    7) Select menu Tools > Target VDD Source > Force PICkit 2

You should now be able to properly complete programming operations on your chip.

Other readers, please do not use this device file unless you are having this specific issue.
    post edited by PICkit2Dev - 2007/05/17 09:45:13
    enki
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Pickit2 bug with T1OSCEN? 2007/05/18 05:53:14 (permalink)
    Thank you very much for the explanation and the detailed instructions. I'll try it out. 
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5