• AVR Freaks

Hot!MPLABX Suddenly started showing Target Device ID (0x0) is an Invalid Device ID

Author
mexco
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points : 0
2021/02/03 08:12:48 (permalink)
5 (1)

MPLABX Suddenly started showing Target Device ID (0x0) is an Invalid Device ID

I was using the Pic Kit4 since a long time. I was debugging a project. It needed to program multiple times. Suddenly, above message started appearing. I used another PIC KIT4, all was well. So, clearly, there is some issue with PICKIT4. How to diagnose the fault of PICKIT4 ? What is the circuit schematic of PICKIT4 on Microcontroller Side ? Perhaps, the Interface circuit has some problem. Before de-soldering any component, I want to know the test points.

4 Replies Related Threads

DevMod1
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 545
    Re: MPLABX Suddenly started showing Target Device ID (0x0) is an Invalid Device ID 2021/02/03 10:01:34 (permalink)
    You should first follow the "Emergency Firmware Recovery" process to make sure the FW is fully up to date, if after that it still is having an issue, please initiate an SAR and Microchip will replace your PICKit 4

https://www.microchip.com/cisar/Home.aspx

Please read the forum posting guidelines. Do not double post, please help keep these forums professional and comments respectful.
    Please notify the moderators of problems/spam/trolls.
    mpgmike
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re: MPLABX Suddenly started showing Target Device ID (0x0) is an Invalid Device ID 2021/02/03 18:37:30 (permalink)
    I am nowhere near as qualified as DevMod1, but I'll share my experiences anyways:

1 - Disconnect programmer, count to 10, reconnect programmer & try again.
    2 - Disconnect programmer, shut down MPLABX, count to 30, reconnect programmer, count to 10, restart MPLABX & try again.
    3 - Disconnect programmer, shut down MPLABX, count to 30, restart the computer, reconnect the programmer, count to 10, restart MPLABX & try again.
    4 - I must have done something stupid (probably unintentionally) & fried the PIC.  Figure out how in the blazes I fried the dang thing, correct the problem, replace the PIC, & try again.
    5 - I have never solved a Target Device ID (0x00) issue by performing the Emergency Firmware Recovery process, but I do try it occasionally nonetheless.
    6 - Contact Microchip, explain (IN DETAIL) what I've been doing, what I've been experiencing, and wait 2-4 days for their reply.

I don't need the world to know my name, but I want to live a life so all my great-grandchildren proudly remember me.
    mexco
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 63
    Re: MPLABX Suddenly started showing Target Device ID (0x0) is an Invalid Device ID 2021/02/08 19:34:50 (permalink)
    I tetsed the volt / logic at MCLR. CK, DATA pin using DSO. When program/ debug command is issued from MPLABX IDE, MCLR volt rises near 10 V, a waveform at CK pin but not on DATA pin. All the internal fuses are OK. Clearly, fault at DATA pin circuit. Pls, share the Schematic of PICKIT4.
    ric
    • Total Posts : 30208
    Re: MPLABX Suddenly started showing Target Device ID (0x0) is an Invalid Device ID 2021/02/08 19:40:47 (permalink)
    2 (1)
    What PIC device have you selected to be programmed?

I also post at: PicForum
    Links to useful PIC information: http://picforum.ric323.co...opic.php?f=59&t=15
    NEW USERS: Posting images, links and code - workaround for restrictions.
    To get a useful answer, always state which PIC you are using!
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5