Hot!Odd MPLAB X issues - is it only me?

Author
ChrisFox
  • Total Posts : 26
  • Reward points : 0
2021/01/17 16:26:49 (permalink)
5 (1)

Odd MPLAB X issues - is it only me?

I'd like to know if anyone else is having the same problems with MPLAB-X so I know if it is my system or not:

Issue #1: About 20% of the time when I try to clean and build, it fails because some of the files that MPLAB generates are "locked". I have to use a file unlocker tool to delete them before I can work any more. I can't seem to find any specific things that cause this. But it is very frustrating and time consuming!

Issue #2: If I make a minor code change and then try to use 'Debug Main Project', what I get is the previous version - my change is not compiled in. I have to hit 'Clean and Build' every time before I can debug again.

Issue #3: About once an hour or so, I will be editing a file and the MPLAB-X program just disappears. It doesn't close, it just goes away. The process is just gone! Files are not saved but neither are they corrupted. I can run it again and it wakes up just fine and works just fine. Sometimes it will work for a few hours before this happens again.

My system is VERY solid and doesn't exhibit any issues like these doing anything else, nor did it have any problems with MPLAB-8. I uninstalled 5.45 and then reinstalled the whole thing, but the issues remain.

If anyone else has seen these behaviors please let me know.

Topher

8 Replies Related Threads

NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 19146
    Re: Odd MPLAB X issues - is it only me? 2021/01/17 23:05:30 (permalink)
    +1 (3)
    What Version of MPLabX?  What OS?

I occasionally get Fails due to file locks, But a second Build fixes it.  V4.20 and Win7 an Windows 10
    crosland
    • Total Posts : 2173
    Re: Odd MPLAB X issues - is it only me? 2021/01/18 03:18:01 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    ChrisFox
    Issue #2: If I make a minor code change and then try to use 'Debug Main Project', what I get is the previous version - my change is not compiled in. I have to hit 'Clean and Build' every time before I can debug again.

I am absolutely sure I have seen that but can never recreate it on demand and assumed it was a case of PEBKAC, but having seen someone else report it, I am not so sure.

I am running 5.35 with XC8 and PICKit4.
    Jim Nickerson
    User 452
    • Total Posts : 6905
    Re: Odd MPLAB X issues - is it only me? 2021/01/18 07:24:38 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    When I was seeing this issue I tracked it down to the underlying java/windows system taking more time to finish background file operations and clean up. In the end a little time seemed to help, then later versions X in 64 bit helped.
    ChrisFox
    Re: Odd MPLAB X issues - is it only me? 2021/01/18 08:46:52 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I am about to double my RAM - maybe that will help speed things up. When I get files locked, I can't build again. Builds fail because the files are locked. I have to run an unlocker program and delete them all before I can do anything else. It's a real PITA.
    Thanks for the remarks!
    Topher
    ChrisFox
    Re: Odd MPLAB X issues - is it only me? 2021/01/21 18:09:30 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    As my source code gets bigger, the bugs seem to get worse. Now MPLAB X is just randomly shutting down every few minutes. Also, every time I click Build and Run using the ICD-4 ICE, it says "ICD4 is busy" and fails. Then I click it again and it runs fine. Sometimes the system locks-up with the ICE running and no response to any clicks. It seems like half my time is used up fighting these dumb bugs. Sometimes everything just stops for 10-20 seconds, and then it goes on like nothing happened.

After I compile and get an error, various files that MPLABX makes end up being locked with Windows thinking they are still in use. The compiler wont run again until I manually go and delete them using a file unlocker program. THIS EATS TIME. So I go along fighting these various bugs day-in-and-day-out. I have found and reported quite a few bugs. 

I am also occasionally getting BSOD's (Blue Screen of Death) while running MPLABX. I have not seen one of those in many years until MPLAB X came into my life.

Don't even get me started on the various really stupid things in the way the assembler works! ARGH!

One thing for sure: MPLAB X has its very own "personality"!

Topher
    ChrisFox
    Re: Odd MPLAB X issues - is it only me? 2021/01/21 18:11:16 (permalink)
    I still can't do the Build and Run without doing a Clean and Build first every time. If I click Build and Run it just runs the code before my changes. It's like it doesn't perform the Build part and runs the previous version.

du00000001
    Just Some Member
    • Total Posts : 4114
    Re: Odd MPLAB X issues - is it only me? 2021/01/21 18:23:34 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    How many cores does your PC have ?
    (Might be there's some multithreading issue.)

I myself have absolutely no issues on an i5-7200 (2 cores, 4 threads).

PEBKAC / EBKAC / POBCAK / PICNIC (eventually see en.wikipedia.org)
    dan1138
    • Total Posts : 4242
    Re: Odd MPLAB X issues - is it only me? 2021/01/21 18:48:05 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I am still using a Windows7 pro 64-bit but what I did to get MPLABX to almost always be sane is:
    1. Install a piss-pot of real memory (went from 6GB to 24GB)
    2. Boot from SSDD and have MPLABX and compilers installed on that drive
    MPLABX seems to behave badly in the build and run on the In-Circuit-Debug.

I almost always have to end the debug session and wait for MPLABX to actually kill the debug process before starting another session.

Also the more JRE crappplets that are running seem to cause issues. For example I like GitKraken, but MPLABX seems more prone to behaving badly when GitKraken is idling in the background.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5