• AVR Freaks

Hot!Is it possible to use a PICKIT 4 to program a PIC32CM microcontroller?

Author
meyerjoh
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
2021/01/16 19:57:53 (permalink)

Is it possible to use a PICKIT 4 to program a PIC32CM microcontroller?

I have been experimenting with the PIC32CM curiosity board, and would like to create a couple of test boards with it. I have used PIC16s and 18s, but have never used a 32 bit processor from Microchip. Is there a pinout, or any help using a PICKIT 4 to program the PIC32CM? If not, is there any documentation for any available programmer?

Thank you.

//John

4 Replies Related Threads

Mysil
    • Total Posts : 4114
    Re: Is it possible to use a PICKIT 4 to program a PIC32CM microcontroller? 2021/01/16 21:09:00 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Which  PIC32CM ?

According to this table, there seem to be around 50 devices in the family:
    [link=file:///C:/Program%20Files/Microchip/MPLABX/v5.45/docs/Device%20Support.htm]file:///C:/Program%20Files/Microchip/MPLABX/v5.45/docs/Device%20Support.htm[/link]

The same file is available also in your installation, in a similar path if you are using a different operating system.
    According to the document, all except the FPGA variants, can be Programmed and Debugged using PICkit 4.
    But all variants are not yet fully tested, some are still in experimental status.

You can look up the same file on your own computer, and study the details.

Mysil
    meyerjoh
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Is it possible to use a PICKIT 4 to program a PIC32CM microcontroller? 2021/01/17 16:02:42 (permalink)
    Mysil,

Thank you for your response. I apologize--I should have been more specific. I am hoping to setup a board so that I can program the PIC32CM MC00 Family. A specific part in this family would be the PIC32CM1216MC00048-I/Y8X. It is programmable by MPLAB_IDE, and supported by Harmony 3. Furthermore, I have been able to program it via USB on its corresponding Curiosity Pro Board.

I am hopeful that there was is document somewhere that would describe connections between the PICKIT 4 and this specific MCU. For the 8 and 16 bit Microchip products, this is well documented in the PICKIT 4 users guide, since the PICKIT connector names, and names of the pins on the microcontrollers match. However, for the PIC32CM datasheets, such as http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/PIC32CM-MC00-Family-Datasheet-DS60001638B.pdf, there seem to be no pins that match the names in the PICKIT 4 Users guide: https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/50002751F.pdf.

We are currently quite satisfied with the PIC 8 and 16 bit processors, but would like to experiment with the 32 bit product line, and the PIC32CMs seemed a natural fit.

Thank you for your time.
    JPortici
    • Total Posts : 1285
    Re: Is it possible to use a PICKIT 4 to program a PIC32CM microcontroller? 2021/01/18 01:24:16 (permalink)
    4 (1)
    That's nothing more than a low end ATSAM device, pity. And the programmer is not even a PK4OB but the old EDBG from atmel, double pity. This is really an XPLAINED board painted red.

In any case, look at the curiosity board schematic! Programming is done through SWD so you need to connect the PICKIT4 to RESET, SWDCLK and SWDIO pins

https://microchipdeveloper.com/pickit4:interface-pinouts luckily, it matched the pinout for ICSP so SWDCLK <-> PGC and SWDIO <-> PGD

A comparable, "real" PIC32 part would be the PIC32MM series, which is IMHO more interesting. If only they updated the silicon to correct the missing code in the ADC..
    Real meaning with microchip peripherals, which you are accustomed to and which i always found to be more flexible and capable than the ATMEL ones in these low end parts
    Mysil
    • Total Posts : 4114
    Re: Is it possible to use a PICKIT 4 to program a PIC32CM microcontroller? 2021/01/18 04:59:11 (permalink)
    Hi,

In PICkit 4 user's guide, there is a table with slightly different connection:
    11.3.2 Pinouts for Interfaces,  same table is shown in the microchipdeveloper link article above:
    Table 11-5. Pinouts for Debug Interfaces,   column for CORTEX SWR,
    have signal SWCLK connect tp PICkit 4 pin 5, and signal SWDIO connect to PICkit 4 pin 8.

Mysil
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5