Hot!PIC32 Ethernet Starter Kit 2 in Harmony V3

Author
Youri
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
2021/01/15 03:55:46 (permalink)

PIC32 Ethernet Starter Kit 2 in Harmony V3

Hello all,

I want to start working with TCP/IP on the PIC32MX795F512L and saw the Ethernet Starter Kit 2.
The problem with the starter kit is that the example is made in Harmony V2 and I want to use this inside a project that was made in Harmony V3. For this project I also use a custom PCB, the Ethernet part has been copied from the starter kit.
For this project I want to connect a pc to the PIC to send commands to it to do some stuff.
For this the example given with the starter kit looks very promising, so I want to try and build on top of this.
So I first made sure the V2 version works good, and when I program it into the PIC it works fine.

Now all I need is to get it working in Harmony V3.
So first I tried to follow the tutorial, but just using Harmony V3 in stead of V2.
I followed this video: "MPLAB® Harmony Configurator Tutorial - Creating a TCP/IP Project from Scratch"
I can't post the link unfortunately.
I could find all the settings I need and set them right, except for the BSP setting. I can not find that one.
I downloaded and added the files as is said in the video. But I got a lot of errors, I think this might be because I did not set the BSP setting, but I do not know where I can find these in Harmony V3.

And because I want to use this on a different board than the starter kit, I removed these files and just want to try to get it to work without those BSP files. With working I mean, that I want to be able to set all the TCP/IP settings right and to be able to at least ping the PIC form my PC.

But when I try to build it without all the BSP files I still get a strange error:

..\src\config\default\initialization.c:377:46: error: expected expression before ',' token
        &TCPIP_NETWORK_DEFAULT_MAC_DRIVER_IDX0, // pMacObject
                                              ^

This is from a generated file from Harmony V3, so I am not sure what to do here.
Can anyone help me to fix this.

To make my end goal extra clear:
I have a custom PCB that has different parts (motors and sensors) that are driven and read by the PIC32.
Now I want to be able to send commands from my PC to the PIC to do different stuff with those sensors and motors.
The connection will be via a wired Ethernet cable.

Thank you in advance for any advice

7 Replies Related Threads

rainad
    • Total Posts : 1472
    Re: PIC32 Ethernet Starter Kit 2 in Harmony V3 2021/01/15 07:45:10 (permalink)
    I suggest you start with an existing demo in the Harmony 3 distribution. There are projects for the PIC32MX ESK 2.
    Try one and it should work out of the box.
    After that you can start the migration to your new board, checking how the I/O pins are set, etc.

Youri
    Re: PIC32 Ethernet Starter Kit 2 in Harmony V3 2021/01/21 05:18:45 (permalink)
    Rainad,
    I did look for a demo that uses Harmony 3 for the ESK 2, but I could not find any.
    The only one I did find used harmony V2.
    But I tried again now, and I saw I had not selected and downloaded the BSP from the content manager.
    Now I do see the ESK 2 kit in there!
    Sorry, I'm very new to the PIC32 and MPLAB.

So I'll try to work with that one and build up to my application.

rainad
    Re: PIC32 Ethernet Starter Kit 2 in Harmony V3 2021/01/21 12:53:21 (permalink)
    4.5 (2)
    Youri
    Re: PIC32 Ethernet Starter Kit 2 in Harmony V3 2021/01/26 06:52:42 (permalink)
    I had not found this one before you pointed it out, thank you.
    But there is one problem, and I don't know what to do.

So, I downloaded the files from github and opened the project in MPLAB X IDE V5.45
    But, when I tried to open the Harmony configurator V3, it does not open it.
    It does not do anything, I don't even see anything happen in Task manager.
    So, Harmony does not seem to work with this.

I even tried to open it with Harmony V2 and also with MPLAB X IDE V5.40
    Nothing seems to work.

Have you been able to open the Harmony configurator for this project?

rainad
    Re: PIC32 Ethernet Starter Kit 2 in Harmony V3 2021/01/26 08:42:33 (permalink)
    Maybe you don't have the H3 framework, MHC, etc. properly downloaded.
    The project as it is, out of the box, does it work? It should without any issue.
    You can use it then as your model, depending on what you want to do.
    For the MHC, make sure first that you have everything downloaded properly and you can start the MHC from the MPLAB IDE.

Youri
    Re: PIC32 Ethernet Starter Kit 2 in Harmony V3 2021/01/27 01:44:02 (permalink)
    I am sure I've installed the H3 framework correctly.
    It does work with other projects.

I just came across this page https://github.com/Microc...iki/H2-to-H3-Migration
    It is a document that describes how to migrate an H2 TCP/IP app to H3
    It is however focused on a PIC32MZ instead of a MX, so some settings are a little bit different, but it worked!

I tried this and now I can ping to my PIC32 and get a response!
    So, from here I can build m y application on top of this.

Thank you for taking the time to help out
    rainad
    Re: PIC32 Ethernet Starter Kit 2 in Harmony V3 2021/01/27 10:28:19 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    No problem, good to hear that you got it working.
    (Not sure though why the H2->H3 migration document is helpful since we're trying a native H3 application.)

Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5