• AVR Freaks

MCC excessively long delay to show register view

Author
oliverb
  • Total Posts : 343
  • Reward points : 0
2020/11/21 10:36:18 (permalink)

MCC excessively long delay to show register view

dsPIC33CH512MP508 project, slave core, "ADC1" module.

MCC opens in "Easy setup" soon enough, but if I click the "Registers" tab it takes a long time for the register view to display.

Some modules display "immediately", but after selecting the registers tab in ADC1 the others become frozen too.

I believe I timed it at 2 minutes, though the latest time it was more than 3 minutes. It appears as if MCC can crash or deadlock, as right now I can't exit MCC and the whole of MPLAB X has hung and won't close. I'm also getting some kind of error or exception reported, but can't seem to access it to report/paste it.

MPLAB X Version 3.35.

4 Replies Related Threads

Mysil
    • Total Posts : 3951
    Re: MCC excessively long delay to show register view 2020/11/21 11:45:43 (permalink)
    Hi,
    MPLAB X is now at version v5.45

MPLAB X version 3.35 will never change.

MCC is now on version v4.0.2     This is the version number of the Plugin download package.
    MCC consist of several parts, and they have separate version numbering for the Core, and for each device Library and Application library.
    There is also a separate Release Note document for each component.

Software that have been released will never be updated,
    If something is corrected or changed, then it is not the same version, and shall have a different version number.

MPLAB X and all the different plugins that it is running, are altogether a hog on memory and processing resources.

When you are running previous versions of software, then the developers that made it, cannot help you.
    They always work in one direction, --> the next release.
    Sometimes they find something awkward or ineficcient, and try to improve it.
    Sometimes they get it better, and sometimes they introduce another bug.

Mysil

oliverb
    Re: MCC excessively long delay to show register view 2020/11/21 12:48:31 (permalink)
    OK I'll try 5.45 but I was reading bad things about it.

Still I should have 5.45 installer downloaded already because I have already tried it before. Code stopped compiling.

Also as I understand it Library version number != MCC core version != MCC plugin version != MPLAB version, and I believe my issue is with the plugin but its anybody's guess.
    Mysil
    • Total Posts : 3951
    Re: MCC excessively long delay to show register view 2020/11/21 13:02:39 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Have you tried MPLAB X v5.35
    with MCC plugin v3.95 
    and XC8 v2.10   ?

Also, you have not specified what PC type and operating system version is beeing used,
    nor what memory size is available.
    Possibly I could search back in other threads you have made, but why should I have to?

Mysil

post edited by Mysil - 2020/11/21 21:19:59
    oliverb
    Re: MCC excessively long delay to show register view 2020/11/21 14:17:58 (permalink)
    OK its a desktop PC, a few years old but 8gb and Windows 10.

I'm using a dsPIC so I'm running XC16. I've tried versions 1.41 and 1.61, I'm switching things to 1.61 now and changing labels as required to update code.

I think the MCC plugin is newer than that one, have to check. I was using MPLAB 5.10 because one of my XC8 projects needed it, but I tried installing MPLAB 5.35 because the MCC plugin called for a newer version than 5.10 though it seemed to work.

FWIW on XC8 projects MCC seemed to work well. The main issues I had were more like opportunities for improvement than actual bugs.

Maybe the problem is because the 16 bit PICs have more control registers for 1 module than some 8 bit ones have RAM total and I'm guessing that MCC is parsing the source code.

post edited by oliverb - 2020/11/22 02:48:33
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5