• AVR Freaks

Hot!Device Libraries and Application Libraries, also dead link on Microchip Web Site

Author
OscarTheGrouch
  • Total Posts : 365
  • Reward points : 0
2020/11/21 09:54:14 (permalink)

Device Libraries and Application Libraries, also dead link on Microchip Web Site

I can't seem to find an explanation for the Device and Application Libraries and how to use them.
Could someone give a brief  explanation and/or point me in the right direction?
Also, went looking for MCC on Microchip's Web Site .. kinda hard to find ..
Tools and Software ... Embedded Software Center .. MPLAB Code Configurator     gets a 404 error this link ..
https://www.microchip.com/en-us/development-tools-tools-and-software/embedded-software-center/mplab-code-configurator

Thanks in advance,
OtG

7 Replies Related Threads

katela
    • Total Posts : 1909
    Re: Device Libraries and Application Libraries, also dead link on Microchip Web Site 2020/11/21 10:32:50 (permalink)
    2 (1)
    Here is the correct MCC link: www.microchip.com/mcc

Free online Microcontroller Tutorials and Projects for Hobbyists and students. From beginners to advanced. Website: www.studentcompanion.co.za
    YouTube Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/StudentCompanionSA
    Mysil
    • Total Posts : 3951
    Re: Device Libraries and Application Libraries, also dead link on Microchip Web Site 2020/11/21 11:09:43 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    Also:
    https://www.microchip.com/development-tools/pic-and-dspic-downloads-archive
    and:
    https://www.microchip.com/mplab/microchip-libraries-for-applications/archives

They try to hide these from users, so it is actually easier to locate by Google,
    than using Microchip own webpages.

Mysil
    OscarTheGrouch
    Re: Device Libraries and Application Libraries, also dead link on Microchip Web Site 2020/11/21 17:27:02 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    katela
    Here is the correct MCC link: www.microchip.com/mcc

katela and Mysil,
    I guess I wasn't clear, I could find the MCC page (not easily) but could not find information on the USE of the Device and Application Libraries. I was also suggesting that Microchip fix the link on their web site. ;)
    OtG

Mysil
    Re: Device Libraries and Application Libraries, also dead link on Microchip Web Site 2020/11/21 21:12:20 (permalink)
    Hi,
    I quite agree, but I have navigated  around in MCC for some time,
    so have become somewhat familiar to what to expect where.

MCC is somehow based on that documentation should be embedded in source code and header files,
    to eventually be extracted and formatted by Doxygen.
    This is not well carried thru.
    There are small details described, that are mostly obvious from the purpose, or from reading the code.
    Overview description, and explaination of how and why, is mostly missing.

There may be some description, tutorials and video lecturess in the MicrochipDeveloper website
    There are examples around, some builtin with some of the application libraries,
    or in the Click library collection.
    But essentially, MCC is a large example code generator.

It is manipulated by a Graphic User Interface Application, it is a plugin running within MPLAB X.

Basically, you establish a new empty Project in MPLAB X, selecting a device of your choise,
    and locate it in a directory of your preference.
    Then Click the blue MCC Icon, and go fetch coffee.

When you get back, you may start playing with menus and options.
    Click the System Module, in the upper lefthand box.
    It will open for selection of Oscillator configuration and frequency settings.
    Click the Pin Module, It will open for selection of Input and Output pins.
    Do not worry about pins for peripherals that will be configured later.

About Device Libraries, and Application Libraries. These are Not usable as source code or callable object libraries.
    They are scripts and GUI components for MCC to Generate code tailored for the microcontroller you have selected, and settings you have specified.
    Device Libraries deal with Setup and Application Interface functions for the peripherals you have selected.
    Device libraries deal with a selection of new or commonly used Microchip microcontrollers.
    A broad selection of PIC16 devices are supported, I think all PIC16F1xxxx   and most  PIC16F1xxx devices are supported.  Also PIC18xxKxx  and PIC18FxxQxx devices are supported.

Many modern PIC24 and dsPIC33 are supported.
    There is a Release Notes document for each library and version. It may be downloaded separately from the library installation package.
    Many of these installation packages may be downloaded by MCC itself, and installed.
    Read  the Release Notes for PIC24, dsPIC33 and PIC32MM devices, to see what devices are covered.

For Application libraries in MCC,
    see the Downloads page in the website, and read the Release Notes for those you want to use.

The quality of code generated by the various libraries  is quite variable.
    E.g.  the generated driver code for EUSART peripheral, work as expected.
    It may be used in blocking mode, waiting for each character to transfer,
    or with Interrupts enabled and circular buffers for Transmit and Receive.

If you want to run a communication protocol with special requirements,
    then you may have to write or port suitable driver code.

Driver code for MSSP peripheral in I2C mode communication, is a halfway finished sketch.
    It may work for simple transfer in blocking mode, as long as there is no disturbances.
    Error recovery and many other features are missing or faulty.

Application libraries may be similarly variable,
    Example:  The EEPROM library for external serial EEPROM devices, either call code that does not exist, 
    or call for code that was generated by a previous version of the device libraries.
    Furthermore,  EEPROM library do Not take into account the need to divide a Write transfer according to Page boundaries in the memory devices.

Regards,
        Mysil
    OscarTheGrouch
    Re: Device Libraries and Application Libraries, also dead link on Microchip Web Site 2020/11/23 09:45:24 (permalink)
    4 (1)
    Thanks for the reply Mysil, I have been using MCC for quite a while, so I understand the basic features of it.
    I just don't get what the two Libraries are for, should I download them, how do I use them?
    Do the Device Libraries add part support that the basic MCC does not offer?
    Are the Application Libraries just another version of MLA?
    Kinda still have those questions. ;)
    Thanks,
    OtG
    Mysil
    Re: Device Libraries and Application Libraries, also dead link on Microchip Web Site 2020/11/23 10:33:35 (permalink)
    Hi again,
    When the MCC plugin is downloaded and installed,
    then a basic selection of Device Libraries are also installed.
    Device Libraries are the body of what MCC can do for any device type.
    Look in the 'Versions' panel, lower left part of window,
    to see what is currently in use, what is available on your computer,
    what is available for download, and what is not compatible with the current Core version.

You certainly have used Device Libraries already.
    There are separate device libraries for 8-bit PIC devices, 16-bit PIC devices + PIC32MM, and for PIC32MX devices.
    There also is Device library for smaller AVR devices.

Application Libraries are rather varied,
    some are MLA stuff that have been wrapped in scripts and Java packages,
    not all of the MLA stuff is there (yet).
    Some of the application libraries are derived from Application Notes, that have been published with standalone software earlier.

Example:
    The 'File System' application library, is ELM-Chan's  open source software implementation of Microsoft FatFS file system structure. It have been packed in a java container, to be reproduced by MCC.

Mysil
    post edited by Mysil - 2020/11/25 01:54:37
    OscarTheGrouch
    Re: Device Libraries and Application Libraries, also dead link on Microchip Web Site 2020/11/24 22:08:51 (permalink)
    Mysil
    Hi again,
    When the MCC plugin is downloaded and installed,
    then a basic selection of Device Libraries are also installed.
    Device Libraries are the body of what MCC can do for any device type.
    Look in the 'Versions' panel, lower left part of window,
    to see what is currently in use, what is available on your computer,
    what is available for download, and what is not compatible with the current Core version.

You certainly have used Device Libraries already, there are separate device libraries for 8-bit PIC devices,
    16-bit PIC devices + PIC32MM, and for PIC32MX devices. There also is Device library for smaller AVR devices.

Application Libraries are rather varied,
    some are MLA stuff that have been wrapped in scripts and Java packages.
    Some of the application libraries are derived from Application Notes, that have been published with standalone software earlier.

Example:
    The 'File System' application library, is ELM-Chan's  open source software implementation of Microsoft FatFS file system structure. It have been packed in a java container, to be reproduced by MCC.

Mysil

Thanks for the reply and the help you provide to the Forums.
    OtG
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5