• AVR Freaks

Hot!Migrating from Aria to Legato?

Author
realexander
  • Total Posts : 251
  • Reward points : 0
2020/10/07 11:44:13 (permalink)

Migrating from Aria to Legato?

Does anyone have experience switching from Aria to Legato?

Microchip has dropped Aria from Harmony 3. I'm now faced with staying with an old Harmony 3, migrating to Legato, or migrating to a third party package.

The documentation on migrating to Legato is pretty sparse (https://github.com/Microc...xu_tm4301b-to-legato). It doesn't say anything about what API changes I'll need to make or whether my Graphics Composer work will migrate.

I've complained here before that Harmony 3's documentation is unusable. Incredibly, it's gotten worse. I've been relying on Harmony 2.06's docs to use Aria. If I were to switch to Legato, I don't know what I'd do. The only thing I can find is at https://microchip-mplab-h...legato/html/index.html and that's ... well ... words fail me.

Without documentation, switching to Legato is unthinkable, unless all the APIs are the same as Aria's. Can anyone offer some insight?

Thank you,
Bob

8 Replies Related Threads

MHGC
    • Total Posts : 259
    Re: Migrating from Aria to Legato? 2020/10/07 12:13:25 (permalink)
    4 (1)
    Hi Bob,

"Microchip has dropped Aria from Harmony 3"
    I am not sure if this is accurate.  Aria is still available in GFX v3.7.0 and an archive repo for Aria will be published shortly here:  https://github.com/Microchip-MPLAB-Harmony/gfx_aria  (Apologies for the 404 right now).

What is accurate is the Aria is not longer being improved but is available for all customer should they find the need.

"I've complained here before that Harmony 3's documentation is unusable. Incredibly, it's gotten worse."

It's unfortunate that you have come to this conclusion.  We can do a better job obviously.  The guide you mentioned
    https://github.com/Microchip-MPLAB-Harmony/gfx/wiki/Migrate-aria_qs_e70_xu_tm4301b-to-legato, is intended to leverage the ease-of-use of Harmony Configurator.  It may or may not be sufficient for your needs, but it was intented as a first step.

Here is the API documentation for Legato for your reference.  It is also available for you offline in your local repo should you find the need.
    https://microchip-mplab-harmony.github.io/gfx/docs/legato/html/index.html

There are quickstart applications for both Aria and Legato available in gfx-v3.7.0 that you may use as reference.  Also currently, in gfx_apps repo, there is an application called Aria_Benchmark, with its Legato equivalent, called Legato_Benchmark.  I would highly recommend you inspect these two applications to see how APIs are changed.

Should you find that still too difficult, please let me know.

Thanks!

realexander
    Re: Migrating from Aria to Legato? 2020/10/07 13:56:20 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    I still find it "too difficult".

The migration guide talks about replacing Aria with Legato in MHC, but that's all. Will I have to change any of my Aria API calls? If not, great. But if there's anything I have to change, there's no mention of it. The guide might've been intended as a "first step", but I'm not going to take the first step until I know what the subsequent steps look like. At this point, I have no idea whether migrating will be a big effort or a trivial effort.

Even before I posted, I went to the link you specified for the API documentation. So, I figure, there must be an API for getting the width of a widget, right? And there's a search box. Great! I searched for 'GetWidth'. Nothing. I searched for 'width'. That got some results, but nothing relevant. 

So I decided to look in the Files list. It took 10 clicks (10 clicks!!) to expand it to the 'widget' folder. On a whim, I look at the List widget, and I can see the source code for legato_widget_list.h. That's code, not documentation. I see that some other .h files have auto-generated reference pages, which is certainly better than looking at the .h file, but apparently a lot do not.

One of the functions in the .h file is getSelectionMode. Just for fun, I put that in the search box. No matches. The search box cannot be trusted.

For Harmony 2.x, there was a .chm file. It had a table of contents, an index, and a search function. It had useful content, like explanations of how to use the different modules. For example, the Introduction in the Aria User Interface Library section was extremely helpful. The Harmony 3.x documentation appears to be a huge step backwards, with much less information, and with everything much, much harder to find.

I love Harmony. I've been a cheerleader for it since version 1, even to the point of being mocked by my colleagues. And I still think it's indispensable, especially for its large subsystems like USB, TCP/IP, File System, and more. But I can't use it if there's no documentation. It's not that I won't - it's that I can't figure out how!

MHGC
    Re: Migrating from Aria to Legato? 2020/10/07 16:03:24 (permalink)
    Thank you for your feedback.

The .chm offered in H2 for Aria and subsequently continued in H3 was indeed a superior offering.  Unfortunately, the .chm format had to be phased out because it was not a good fit with the Github/Gitee distribution model.  So the decision was to transition away from .chm when the introduction of Legato.  We have been trying to solve this by ramping up with other means ever since.  Our solution so far has been with a two prong approach, with APIs generated using doxygen and move the step-by-step user guides to the gfx/wiki.  The combined content is only a small subset of what was in H2 Aria.  The team has been focused on rewriting the Legato Composer, adding back library features such as JPEG/PNG image decoders, and trying to match device-support as Aria previously, all the while with a 50% reduced team.  We will continue to do better.  The good news is there is a previous high point we can go back and match.

I can only provide anecdotal descriptions with regards to your question about the effort involved to migrate from Aria to Legato.  For one, the Legato Composer design is able to accept design from Aria projects and convert widget, image and font data.  As for accessing the library from application code, it is conceptual identical between the two libraries, but Legato relies on function pointers instead of direct API calls. 

We have received approximately a dozen customer reports so far of successful migration from Aria to Legato and yet to receive feedback for the task being overtly time consuming.  The Harmony Graphics team here had to do this exercise ourselves with some of our applications also.  Once again, in-lieu of step-by-step guides in the documentation, I implore you to have a look at Aria_Benchmark vs Legato_Benchmark.
    realexander
    Re: Migrating from Aria to Legato? 2020/10/07 17:09:47 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    The .chm file is not just for Legato; it's for all of Harmony.

I can see the advantage of Github, especially with the Harmony 3 Content Manager. And I can appreciate that keeping the docs for each module in the same repository as the code makes maintenance easier. But it's not currently a good solution for end users to access the documentation. If you have a plan that ends up with all the docs being searchable, browsable, with a table of contents and an index, in a single document, that's great. But if not, you really need one. Because as I've said, what you have now is just unusable.

It's so unusable that I've been referring to the 2.06 docs to get things done. Unfortunately, Legato isn't in them. Is it accurate to say that the Aria doc is a good guide to Legato, with the straightforward change that Legato uses object pointers similar to C++?

The team has been focused on rewriting the Legato Composer, adding back library features such as JPEG/PNG image decoders, and trying to match device-support as Aria previously

So what's the status of Legato? Is it feature-equivalent to Aria yet?

- Bob

AlexPet
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Migrating from Aria to Legato? 2021/01/24 01:01:32 (permalink)
    Hallo to everyone
    I've tryed to use legato graphics library but for the moment it seems not do the right work.
    (I tryed to create more screen but, after start, it will show only last screen without accept buttons event; I tryed to create only one screen enabling and disabling images to switch from various menu but the images change is very.. very slow.... )

If I wanted to return to aria (downloading gfx_aria) I could not do it because after installed Harmony 3.6, THERE IS NO WAY TO RETURN TO HARMONY 3.41 because the plugin (the .nbm file of harmony) aren't in any place on internet. Infact grx_aria are not compatible with HARMONY releases geater than 3.41.

I made the mistake to update harmony ..and now I can't continue with my project develop (my customer is a little angry and probably I will give it back, money deposit).

For me, to continue with my project, is fundamental return to aria graphics library: Is there any way to return to harmony 3.41 ????

Thanks to everyone will help me

Alessio

NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 19146
    Re: Migrating from Aria to Legato? 2021/01/24 09:09:48 (permalink)
    If the plug-in is not included in the version of harmony, and not available on the Internet. You might be able to get it by creating a support ticket.
    MHGC
    Re: Migrating from Aria to Legato? 2021/01/26 12:41:16 (permalink)
    Hi Alessio,

You can fallback to previously MHC version by directly downloading from the github repo.

For specific version, just set the tag value.  Here is the link to v3.4.1:
    https://github.com/Microchip-MPLAB-Harmony/mhc/tree/v3.4.1

May I ask which development board you are sampling the graphic design with?  What is the image you are trying to display?  Going back to Aria may not solve your problem, and it is possible this "very slow...." has to do with how the design is setup.

MHGC
    Re: Migrating from Aria to Legato? 2021/01/26 12:53:28 (permalink)
    I see your information from the other thread here:
    https://www.microchip.com/forums/m1163979.aspx

I do not recommend you to go back to Aria.  Aria is not moving forward.  There are already newer features such as GFX Canvas in Legato that isn't available in Aria.
    Jump to:
    © 2021 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5