• AVR Freaks

Hot!What happened? - Updates Required - These plugin(s) have installed a dependency update:

Author
RDS Cliff
  • Total Posts : 69
  • Reward points : 0
2020/09/10 21:33:09 (permalink)
5 (1)

What happened? - Updates Required - These plugin(s) have installed a dependency update:

I opened up MPLAB X IDE this morning and was greeted with a dialog box with the following:

These plugin(s) have installed a dependency update:
MPLAB Code Configurator
The following plugin(s) have critical updates for compatibility. These plugins must either be updated or disabled:
MPLAB Code Configurator

I've been running the same versions of MPLAB X (v5.35) and MCC (v3.95.0) for months now and suddenly there is a compatibility problem?  I don't update all the time to avoid problems like this.  Now compatibility problems occur spontaneously????  I'm supposed to release code in two weeks.  Everything seems stable and I shouldn't need MCC but if I do, I'll have to risk my company's future by installing new versions of tools to make changes???????

11 Replies Related Threads

davea
    • Total Posts : 509
    Re: What happened? - Updates Required - These plugin(s) have installed a dependency updat 2020/09/10 22:52:27 (permalink)
    did the same thing with MPLAB X (v5.30) 
    updated MCC to (v4.0.1 with a core of v4.75)
    latest core is v5.0.1
    first try failed to open
    second time it opened
    did not save it when closed....
    must backup first
    but you would think they would not force it on you unless it worked ????
    JPortici
    • Total Posts : 1203
    Re: What happened? - Updates Required - These plugin(s) have installed a dependency updat 2020/09/11 02:38:15 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    The real problem is that something happened automatically without me consenting.
    That's no no.

this update also broke compatibility with harmony and wouldn't let me run MPLABX until i updated both, even if i wasn't using those.

Lost about an hour at work.

Also, remember a couple of months ago when some screwup on microchip servers prevented everybody from being able to work for several hours?
    du00000001
    Just Some Member
    • Total Posts : 4016
    Re: What happened? - Updates Required - These plugin(s) have installed a dependency updat 2020/09/11 02:38:37 (permalink)
    Might be the "critical compatibility issues" result from some fancy Win10 update.
    Win10 is currently infamous for their updates - poor quality and cutting threads. A simple update of the java engine might result in issues with MCC.

PEBKAC / EBKAC / POBCAK / PICNIC (eventually see en.wikipedia.org)
    jtzeng
    • Total Posts : 506
    Re: What happened? - Updates Required - These plugin(s) have installed a dependency updat 2020/09/11 07:41:41 (permalink)
    I went through the same issue.
    Had to back the CORE down to 4.85 as 5.0.1 dropped 16Bit bootloader support.
    Also have found that a lot of CORE updates are breaking ADC(PIC24) and UART(PIC24) with either big changes or flat out errors in the code generated.
    Just because the code compiles does not mean the generated code works.

John Zigrang
    JTZ Engineering, Inc.
    RDS Cliff
    Re: What happened? - Updates Required - These plugin(s) have installed a dependency updat 2020/09/15 19:15:52 (permalink)
    So no explanation from Microchip?  I guess I'll have to call them.  Stuck on a last minute bug right now.  Why does it always happen this way?
    RDS Cliff
    Re: What happened? - Updates Required - These plugin(s) have installed a dependency updat 2020/10/15 22:39:32 (permalink)
    5 (1)
    I have an open case with Microchip support for this bug.  It's been 5 weeks now.  Just got a message today saying they are still looking at it.
    I'm in the middle of code freeze for a medical device and I need to save the tools that I built the code with. Doesn't make sense to archive tools that don't even work.
    katela
    • Total Posts : 1909
    Re: What happened? - Updates Required - These plugin(s) have installed a dependency updat 2020/10/16 06:45:07 (permalink)
    You can still load an earlier core v.4.x.x that's compatible with old libraries.

Free online Microcontroller Tutorials and Projects for Hobbyists and students. From beginners to advanced. Website: www.studentcompanion.co.za
    YouTube Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/StudentCompanionSA
    jtzeng
    • Total Posts : 506
    Re: What happened? - Updates Required - These plugin(s) have installed a dependency updat 2020/10/16 06:48:33 (permalink)
    1 (1)
    Have you taken this to your local FAE??  I find that after I open a case that I need help with they can help set a priority on it.
    Also I have found that the Pack Update have help, but for me the auto install is not working.
    I have to open the Pack window and install then one at a time. This solved my last auto update that caused a programming issue with the PICKIT4 on only 1 part number that I was using.

It is hard to think that an auto update that has caused your problem did not install every thing you need, but it is happening.
    Good luck

John Zigrang
    JTZ Engineering, Inc.
    RDS Cliff
    Re: What happened? - Updates Required - These plugin(s) have installed a dependency updat 2020/10/20 22:31:55 (permalink)
    The Dependency Update error message occurred without me having to do anything except start up MPLAB X.  If there was some auto update, it must have happened the previous time I used MPLAB and didn't run until I started MPLAB again.  To confirm, I started MPLAB on my laptop and got the exact error message even though I didn't have a network connection.  Had the looks of a date trigger.

I don't know who my FAE is.  Hardware guys take care of the vendor contacts. But I just got a request for a config file and screenshot so someone is working on it.

@katela: Right now, it is just a bookkeeping problem. I need to save copies of the tools I used to build the code. And we're just doing preliminary trials so no one is watching closely. But if this were to happen when we start shipping finished product and I have to go through a configuration audit, this would not be very good.
    oliverb
    • Total Posts : 343
    Re: What happened? - Updates Required - These plugin(s) have installed a dependency updat 2020/10/21 01:33:18 (permalink)
    4 (1)
    I'd have to agree with the previous poster, this all seems to have happened silently between when I last ran MPLAB and now. Simple fact is I have MPLAB 5.10 installed for a specific project. I also have 4.05 because that correctly handles historic commits.

Because of MPLAB's habit of rewriting configuration files I find it preferable to stick with a specific MPLAB version until a specific milestone in the project, then commit the configuration update and continue with a newer MPLAB. This is still unlikely to be the very latest release though, I'll use the latest one for evaluation projects.

It seems as if MCC version 3.95 was invalidated somehow, either by an update to another MPLAB component, Netbeans maintenance or perhaps deliberately in order to force an update?

Unfortunately the next version of MCC, 4.01 I think, would not install on MPLAB 5.10 so for me an update isn't feasible right now. I get that in theory we should all be able to use the very latest MCC version then select the "core" that is correct for our project, but until MPLAB does backward compatibility better it can't be that way.

I have a MCC 3.95 manual download, and that appears fine.

RDS Cliff
    Re: What happened? - Updates Required - These plugin(s) have installed a dependency updat 2020/10/28 19:17:34 (permalink)
    Finally got an answer and a workaround:

On investigation, we found that a module that MCC depends on (browserlibs) forced MCC to update ([1]MPLABXE-4781) causing this message and the dependency error.
    Our team is since aware and will work to resolve the issue in upcoming releases.
    As a workaround, we believe you should be able to download 3.95.0 from our website and install the nbm manually to get back that version.

Installing MCC from the 3.95.0 zip file gets it up and running again. Haven't run through a full Generate cycle yet so don't know if the problem will re-occur.  Creating a development branch in our version control to do some more testing so we'll see what happens. As long as this doesn't happen in the future.
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5