RickUK
Starting Member
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
2020/08/04 11:39:01 (permalink)
5 (1)

ICD4 seen by MPLAB but not usable

Hi,
I installed MPLAB version 5.40 (downloaded yesterday) on a client's PC which does NOT have internet connection.

In the project properties the ICD-4 appears and it does allow me to select it as debug tool.

The ICD4 is recognised by windows when plugged in with no errors. But when clicking on "Run debugger/programmer self test" in the pop-up window where you select the tool the ICD-4 shows its serial number next to it but is disabled.

There was a message at the ICD-4 window at the bottom which said something to do with online connection and/or registration specific to ICD-4 (not MPLAB). I clicked cancel and while doing so inadvertently selected "do not display this message again" so it does not appear again even if I restart MPLAB. So no idea what the exact message was.

The ICD-4 is fully working (tested on another machine just now) and showing the blue light (i.e. stand by).

I tried the following which didn't work:
1) reinstalling everythingbut didn't work
2) blocking MPLAB from the firewall so it does not tryto access the network which does not exist anyway but that didn't work either
3) rebooting
4) plugging and unplugging the ICD4
5) another perfectly working brand new ICD4

How can I make it work?
Any pointers?

SIDE NOTE - PROBABLY IRRELEVANT - Also when compiling an empty project (standard microchip generated C++ project with NO code added at all) it takes 1:14 minutes to compile and the PC is quite a fast one so it cannot be the PC. I will make a separate post about this but I thought of mentioning it here too in case they are related.

Many thanks :)
post edited by RickUK - 2020/08/04 21:30:42

2 Replies Related Threads

RISC
    • Total Posts : 5776
    Re: ICD4 seen by MPLAB but not usable 2020/08/04 16:46:10 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Which device are you using ? (ICD4 does not support 100% of PICs / AVRs / SAMs)
    Regards

For support make sure to check first here : http://microchipdeveloper.com
    There are hundreds of PIC, AVR, SAM...which one do YOU use ?
    RickUK
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: ICD4 seen by MPLAB but not usable 2020/08/04 21:28:20 (permalink)
    Various including PIC32MX but that's irrelevant because with either the target board connected or disconneted from the ICD4 it cannot do self test either.

The ICD is fully working and tested on other machines.
    post edited by RickUK - 2020/08/04 21:42:21
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5