• AVR Freaks

Hot!PIC-IoT WG Development Board

Author
nanand1
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
2020/08/03 04:58:32 (permalink)

PIC-IoT WG Development Board

I followed the instructions and got the board working fine.
Then I progressed to "Whats Next" and added the SW0 lines of code as per the instructions given. The project compiled fine and programmed the board. Here is the problem I found at this stage:
1. The WiFi credentials in the file "CONFIG" disappear from the CURIOSITY drive
2. The board does not connect to WiFi.
I reloaded the original program and it worked fine again. 
Could anyone please help me get unstuck here?

5 Replies Related Threads

judd
    Starting Member
    • Total Posts : 52
    Re: PIC-IoT WG Development Board 2020/08/04 05:15:46 (permalink)
    The CURIOSITY drive is a virtual device and holds no information itself.
    When you drag-and-drop a hex file, it is programmed into the PIC24 device's flash using its ICSP programming interface.
    When you drag-and-drop the wifi config file, its contents are blindly transmitted to the PIC24 device's UART pins, where the demo application receives the credentials and uses them for WINC WiFi authentication.  Credentials used in a successful authentication will be remembered by the WINC module.

While this does not directly address your issue, I hope it helps shed some light on the behaviour you see.

So, which tutorial/example are you following?

nanand1
    Re: PIC-IoT WG Development Board 2020/08/05 22:04:28 (permalink)
    Thanks for the clarification.
    It was my first time experience with the device. It holds immense promise for my work, which is to setup a network of sensors on machines and to access a packet of the signal which is sampled at 2.5kHz and is approx 16KB in size. I need to access this data remotely and process it further for analysis.
    The out-of-box worked like a dream. I then tried to progress to adding sw0 as detailed in the instructions on "What Next". It compiled fine, but this is where it failed to connect to the sandbox. (It connected to the WiFi - blue LED On
    When I try to go into the debug mode on MPLAB-X IDE, I get a strange message: "Index Error" and it fails. I couldnt find out what this means.
    Surprisingly, after I reversed the changes made to include the sw0 status, it still failed to connect to the sandbox.
    Even after downloading the demo app again and re-programming it through the MPLAB-X interface, it is still refusing to connect to the sandbox (WiFi is OK).
    I am now stuck and cant figure a way out of this!

nanand1
    Re: PIC-IoT WG Development Board 2020/08/06 04:09:30 (permalink)
    OK, quick update!
    I figured that the .hex file generated on MPLAB-X project when auto-loaded into the PiC-IoT board directly does not work. BUT if I take the original .hex file unpacked from GitHub, and drag and drop it into Curiosity, then it works as intended.
    Thus any changes effected in the source code through MPLAB-X are dysfunctional.Trying to figure out why this difference in the build...Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    To Note here that the files names are also different:
    MPLAB generates file PICIoT.X.production.hex  (Does NOT work) 280kB

Original .hex file: PIC-IOT-WG-Development_Board_V1_1_1.hex  315KB  (Works)
    duxx0054
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: PIC-IoT WG Development Board 2020/08/07 09:59:40 (permalink)
    Hi Nanand,

I have two PIC-IOT WA boards and I was having the same problems.  At first, they both wouldn't connect to wifi after I configured it with both the putty method and the drag and drop method.  In the end, I had to move to a different computer and then it worked (magically?).  I'm not sure if there were USB setting issues. Would love to hear if anyone has heard more on this?

I now have one board that automatically connects to the sandbox (only after provisioning it) and one board that cannot connect to sandbox.... Why are you using version 1.1.1?  And where did you find it?  On my board that is not connecting to the sandbox, I have tried all the github versions: https://github.com/microchip-pic-avr-solutions/pic-iot-aws-sensor-node/releases 

BTW, provisioning also uses the default firmware version, but you can also specify your own
    nanand1
    Re: PIC-IoT WG Development Board 2020/08/11 04:12:55 (permalink)
    Hi duxx0054
    Are you working on the WG board or the WA board? The link given by you for Github is for the AWS services (WA board). Mine is a WG board.
    There was no problem connecting it to the sandbox for me.
    I downloaded the zipped software package from the Button link on the sandbox. Then I dragged the .hex file into the CURIOSITY drive. It worked on the first attempt. No issues. This was a pre-compiled version supplied by Microchip.
    However, when I progressed to WHATS NEXT and followed the instructions to build the project on MPLAB-X environment, it did compile and programmed the device also (with plenty of warnings, but no fatal errors). However, it stopped connecting to the Sandbox (WiFi was connected with internet).

I tried everything I could think of, but it refuses to work if compiled by me. Wonder if there is something amiss in my IDE environment!

The instructions in their manual if followed give errors and the program does NOT compile on the IDE.
    Even the Debug version on the original software gives an "Index Error" and aborts. I couldnt find any explanation of the error anywhere.

I am thus unable to move ahead in my work and am now wondering what next....
    post edited by nanand1 - 2020/08/11 04:16:22
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5