• AVR Freaks

Hot!Improted MPLAB IDE v8 project gives "You are trying to change protected boot memory" error

Author
int_i
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
2020/08/02 07:12:24 (permalink)

Improted MPLAB IDE v8 project gives "You are trying to change protected boot memory" error

I'm using PICkit 3, tried from 2 different computer to program a dsPIC3F6015 chip (MPLAB IDE X v3.45 and 3.5) with the XC16 toolchain

The chip has previously been programed by someone using PICkit 2 and MPLAB IDE v8, and the code works fine. When I try to program it myself, I get the error:

You are trying to change protected boot memory. In order to do this you must select the "Boot, Secure and General Segments" option on the debug tool Secure Segment properties page.
Failed to program device

Now, I'm pretty new to all this, but from what I could gather, this has to do with the CodeGuard settings. But they're all set to "no".

The person who supplied me with the chip and code says he didn't set any code protection either.
Unlike him, I don't have MPLAB v8, and MPLAB X doesn't support PICkit 2 as far as I can tell, so my only option seems to be to try to figure out why this is happening.

The programing is successful if I do as the error message says, but since I'm having another problem (the U1RX interrupt is raised when I send data but it always comes out 0x42), I'd like to rule this out as the source of the problem.

Also, when someone tells you you can't do something, doesn't it make you want to do it?

Thank you!

2 Replies Related Threads

ric
    • Total Posts : 28299
    Re: Improted MPLAB IDE v8 project gives "You are trying to change protected boot memory" e 2020/08/03 19:34:25 (permalink)
    +2 (2)

I also post at: PicForum
    Links to useful PIC information: http://picforum.ric323.co...opic.php?f=59&t=15
    NEW USERS: Posting images, links and code - workaround for restrictions.
    To get a useful answer, always state which PIC you are using!
    int_i
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Improted MPLAB IDE v8 project gives "You are trying to change protected boot memory" e 2020/08/03 21:21:29 (permalink)
    ric
    You could just download MPLAB 8.92 from https://www.microchip.com/development-tools/pic-and-dspic-downloads-archive

Thank you! I googled it and didn't immediately find this so I just assumed there's no official download available for the older IDE. I'll update once I'm back in the lab and can test this out.
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5