• AVR Freaks

Hot!It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems.

Author
BertKu
mr
  • Total Posts : 87
  • Reward points : 0
2020/07/31 13:21:13 (permalink)
3.5 (2)

It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems.

Dear all, I have a problem with the ICD3 programmer. Last year I shipped it to the local dealer and they said they have replaced it. Due to the covic19 period, I have only now been able again to try to make the ICD3 working.  I tried it last year a few times to get it going.
If I program the PIC18F2431 and PIC12F675 on my for PIC 18F2431 modified PICSTART plus I am able to program both chips and work with it (Internal oscillator I use)
If I program this on theICD2-LE, it also is able to program without errors. (Ignoring program errors) see photo >>>> No Error.jp
If I program this on the ICD3 It tells me error 35 (refer photo >>> Error 35)
I have tried to program it on my old trusted laptop with XP, same error, the same on my Acer laptop with Win7 Ugrade1, but on my Windows10 computer I get this same error. On all three computers I have the same MPLab IDE platform. Thus that cannot be the problem.  It also regards the 3 lights on the ICD as working properly.  But not finding the embedded ID of the processors
What can I still do? I like to use the ICD3 , I have invested the money, thus I like to use it. It has advantages.
What could be suggested what I could do?  Bert

Attached Image(s)

17 Replies Related Threads

ric
    • Total Posts : 28648
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/07/31 15:56:21 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    What version MPLABX are you using?
    If the ICD3 has been accessed by a PC running a later version MPLABX than what you are using, it may have newer firmware installed that is not compatible with your MPLABX.
    You can either update to the latest MPLABX, or force a full firmware reload of the ICD3.

I also post at: PicForum
    Links to useful PIC information: http://picforum.ric323.co...opic.php?f=59&t=15
    NEW USERS: Posting images, links and code - workaround for restrictions.
    To get a useful answer, always state which PIC you are using!
    BertKu
    mr
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/07/31 16:24:54 (permalink)
    Thank you super Member, I will try it, but be aware that I have tested it with various PIC's PIC12F675 , PIC18F2431 which where manufactured years ago, just to make sure that I have not overlooked some issues. It will probably be a small overlooked issue and I will re-check and re-check every setting and connection. I use the MPLAB IDE V8.70 on all three computers. i.e. XP, Win7 and Win10. It works very well for all my simple developments for customers with problems. Any advice and help is very welcome/ Bert
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    • Total Posts : 18970
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/07/31 16:30:24 (permalink)
    +3 (3)
    You can Not Just switch between MPlab X and MPlab8
    You need the Switcher tools AND need to manually reload the ICD3 to the MPLab8 Version.  MPlabX will do it automatically if you did Not disable it. 
    ric
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/07/31 16:36:39 (permalink)
    +4 (4)
    gkuijpers@telkomsa.net
    I use the MPLAB IDE V8.70 on all three computers. i.e. XP, Win7 and Win10.

And there is your problem.
    As I said, if you have loaned this unit to someone else who has used it with MPLABX, it now contains firmware that is incompatible with MPLAB8. You need to force a full firmware reprogram.

BertKu
    mr
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/07/31 23:50:00 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Thank you Ric and Mr Kurzmann, What you both say is ;  the dealer has tested the ICD3 on their system with MPLabX and then returned to me. Thank you both very much that must be the problem. But I am 45 years programming with 4 bit 8 bit and 18 bit processors, unfortunately I am lost now. When one gets at my age, we like to stick what solves customers problems and what works for me in assembler language and I have at present no clue how to reload the ICD3 software. Because V8.70 does it automatically when connecting to the ICD3 or Picstart Plus or ICD 2 LE. Any suggestion? Bert
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/08/01 00:16:31 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    The easiest way is to select a different family of chip. Wait for the update.
    Then we select your chip.

Otherwise you need to select manual mode and it will take you to the directory with the file you click on it and it will load.
    The ICD2 is the same.
    BertKu
    mr
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/08/01 00:37:25 (permalink)
    My sincere apology, but I am lost. I am nearly 80 and my strength is in solving problems. My customers are happy  with solving their problems, I do the development and make it working, they do the production and procurement. I am totally lost in how to handle "reloading the software" I am not on MPLabX and have no switcher. Could you help me step by step to do it your way? Much obliged. Bert
    BertKu
    mr
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/08/01 00:38:36 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    My sincere apology, but I am lost. I am nearly 80 and my strength is in solving problems. My customers are happy  with solving their problems, I do the development and make it working, they do the production and procurement. I am totally lost in how to handle "reloading the software" I am not on MPLabX and have no switcher. Could you help me step by step to do it your way? Much obliged. Bert
    ric
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/08/01 01:07:19 (permalink)
    +3 (3)
    In MPLAB8, connect your ICD3, then in the "Programmer" menu, click on "Settings.
    In the "ICD3 Settings Window", select the second tab "Configuration".
    In the "Download Firmware" box, click the "Manual download" button.
    It should show a single file, named something like "ICD3FW_012890.jam"
    Select it, and the update procedure should begin,

post edited by ric - 2020/08/01 01:08:22

BertKu
    mr
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/08/01 03:42:19 (permalink)
    Thank you Ric, it confirms my conclusion that I have a faulty ICD3, tgoday and 1,5 years ago. I measured the current drawn from the battery ICD2 a few milli ampere. Measuring with the ICD 3 I have 240 mA feeding into the ICD3. Thank you very much for your solution to re download the ICD software under MPLAB v8.70  I probably have to write it off as one of those bad lucks in life. The ICD3 tester plugin unit has now confirmed this to me.  I just got good news that the receiver of revenue has paid me some nice tax money. Thus I take my loss and work with the IC2 LE for a while. The test state Error 57 now. Thanks all of you so much and special you Ric . Bert
    NKurzman
    A Guy on the Net
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/08/01 09:15:02 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    The ICD3 has a self test board.
    You can plug it into the ICD3 and run the self test. But yes your measurement doesn’t sound right.
    BertKu
    mr
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/08/01 10:22:46 (permalink)
    NKurzman
    The ICD3 has a self test board.
    You can plug it into the ICD3 and run the self test. But yes your measurement doesn’t sound right.

Thank you.
    That is what I have done and run the test program. With the original cable and with the original little pcboard with the PIC 10F202. Sad, but I have spent enough money on returning the ICD3 to the dealer and paying for getting it back courier. I need to get on with projects for my customers. Thus I have to call it the day. Thanks. (Maybe next year I will have a look at it again sad: sad).

Jerry Messina
    • Total Posts : 554
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/08/01 15:59:40 (permalink)
    +3 (3)
    You might want to try updating MPLAB 8.70 to MPLAB 8.92, which was the last version before MPLABX.
    You can find the download at
    https://www.microchip.com/development-tools/pic-and-dspic-downloads-archive

After installing, follow ric's instructions to force it to download the firmware.

BertKu
    mr
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/08/02 13:44:09 (permalink)
    Thank you Jerry, appreciated that you still try to help me.
    But my experience tells me that with every change, one has additional problems. I have accepted that the ICD3 has been damaged, because 250 mA consumption without any IC in the IC socket, is a no go. Although the test board connection looks like that it is working. Unfortunately I am behind with my work now and have decided to first get every job out of the way, before I try to see whether I can get the ICD3 going again. Thanks for your proposal , I will remember your suggestion and will try it out. But first I have to try to find the reason why the consumption at 5 Volt is 250 mA. It could very well a stupid leakage somewhere, I am trying first to use the test cable and will buy a conversion connector to my board and see what the consumption then is. Maybe the technician whom made the cable and connection for me,  made a faulty RJ-11 jack and cable.  To make a cable one need a special tool, which I don't have. Now I try first the Test board RJ-11 cable. Thank you. Bert 
    Jerry Messina
    • Total Posts : 554
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/08/03 02:38:24 (permalink)
    +3 (3)
    It's unclear to me if your ICD3 passes the tests when used with the ICD test board or not, and you're assuming there's something wrong because the ICD3 is drawing 250mA. I just checked, and my ICD3 is drawing about 200mA just sitting idle after bootup.

I recommended updating MPLAB to 8.92 since 8.70 is probably around the time when the ICD3 was first introduced, and I've been using the ICD3 + 8.92 combination for years. If you do update, make sure that you force MPLAB to reload the ICD3 firmware per ric's post and don't rely on it to automatically do it. The update should start out with a message about "downloading FPGA firmware" or something similar. I'd suggest doing this without the ICD3 connected to a target.

BertKu
    mr
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/08/05 12:27:43 (permalink)
    Jerry Messina
    It's unclear to me if your ICD3 passes the tests when used with the ICD test board or not, and you're assuming there's something wrong because the ICD3 is drawing 250mA. I just checked, and my ICD3 is drawing about 200mA just sitting idle after bootup.

I recommended updating MPLAB to 8.92 since 8.70 is probably around the time when the ICD3 was first introduced, and I've been using the ICD3 + 8.92 combination for years. If you do update, make sure that you force MPLAB to reload the ICD3 firmware per ric's post and don't rely on it to automatically do it. The update should start out with a message about "downloading FPGA firmware" or something similar. I'd suggest doing this without the ICD3 connected to a target.

Thank you Jerry,
    Again I made time available to re-check and have downloaded the suggested 8.92 version.  Sadly below you can see that the ICD was 1,5 year ago not completely thoroughly tested and I have decided to call it the day. I will carry on with Pick start Plus although it will take more development time. Here are the shots and proof that the ICD was no longer working. Just a pity that the customer has to wait longer.
    Photo 1 = start of proof, without test unit nor product board (Status and power green light)

Photo 2 = test result explaining nothing is working. 

Photo 3 = proof with red light.  (Shot with ICD status red light)

Thank you all, for trying to have helped me.
    Bert
    P.S.my apology, for unknown reason I could not attach the photos.

post edited by BertKu - 2020/08/05 13:02:54

Attached Image(s)

BertKu
    mr
    Re: It looks like I have a Covic19 error in my systems. 2020/09/29 01:05:17 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Jerry Messena, N Kurzman and Ric, thank you three for helping me. During the Lockdown all companies and shops were closed and Lucky now that they are open I have been able to obtain a cable again. I had a problem in the cable and now my current is normal again at 70 mA and also my ICD3 is working beautiful again. Thank all very very much. The MPLAB version 8.92 works very nice.  Bert
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5