• AVR Freaks

MCP13xx Watchdog Behavior

Author
labmicro
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
2020/07/24 10:08:13 (permalink)

MCP13xx Watchdog Behavior

In reading the datasheet for these devices, I understand that the watchdog timer is not enabled until the WDI input is brought low for the first time after powerup.  From that time forward, WDI needs to be pulsed periodically before the watchdog period expires in order to prevent RST from being asserted.

However, if the watchdog period expires and the MCP13xx device brings RST low, is the watchdog timer again disabled until the WDI input is brought low for the first time?

In my application, I need to hold off enabling the watchdog until a time after the initialization of my processor and its peripherals is complete.  In some instances, this can be 2-5 seconds during which time the processor is blocked.  My concern is if the watchdog timer remains enabled after a watchdog timer event, then it will get stuck in a loop as there is no way to pulse the WDI input.

I guess what I need to know is whether the MCP13xx watchdog timer goes back to its disabled state from either a power on event or a watchdog timer event.

Thanks, Jim

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5