• AVR Freaks

AnsweredHot!Unused returned value - reg.

Author
muralysunam
  • Total Posts : 134
  • Reward points : 0
2020/07/11 13:55:55 (permalink)

Unused returned value - reg.

Hi all,

I was using two separate functions named SPI_transfer() and SPI_transfer_return(). First one have void return type and second one has uint8_t return type. I would like to remove the first function and use second function alone always.

Now
SPI_transfer('A');//sending a value
uint8_t rx_value = SPI_transfer_return(0);//reading a value

I would like to change to

SPI_transfer_return('A');//sending a value
uint8_t rx_value = SPI_transfer_return(0);//reading a value

Is this possible and is there any flaws?

I am having one more doubt regarding if, while etc...
if(!function()) // this is supposed to execute function and return value will be inverted and if positive, if will be executed
if(function() == 0) //same
Is there any problem if I use the first method? I am using XC8 free compiler.

Thanks for any help. 
jtemples
عُضْوٌ جَدِيد
  • Total Posts : 11930
Re: Unused returned value - reg. 2020/07/11 14:02:52 (permalink)
+1 (1)
You can't separately read and write SPI, so having two functions makes no sense.

if(!function()) // this is supposed to execute function and return value will be inverted and if positive, if will be executed

Not if positive, if non-zero.
muralysunam
Re: Unused returned value - reg. 2020/07/11 14:11:47 (permalink)
jtemples
You can't separately read and write SPI, so having two functions makes no sense

Sir,
Thank you for your response. Consider I am sending 3 bytes of data to a slave device and receiving one byte from slave device. So I don't need the response from the slave device for the first three bytes ie., I don't need that value. I would like to know what happens if I am not using that returned value in my program.

Thanking you,
jtemples
عُضْوٌ جَدِيد
  • Total Posts : 11930
Re: Unused returned value - reg. 2020/07/11 14:17:45 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby muralysunam 2020/07/11 14:45:29
+1 (1)
Consider I am sending 3 bytes of data to a slave device and receiving one byte from slave device.

That's not possible.  If you write 3 bytes, you will get 3 bytes back.  Maybe you only care about one of the bytes, but you will still get 3.

I would like to know what happens if I am not using that returned value in my program.

Nothing happens.  The compiler will know at compile time that you're not referencing it, and no code will be generated.

If you want to make it clear to the reader that you are intentionally discarding the return value, you can do

(void)spi_write_read(42);

muralysunam
Re: Unused returned value - reg. 2020/07/11 14:45:59 (permalink)
+1 (1)
jtemples
Consider I am sending 3 bytes of data to a slave device and receiving one byte from slave device.

That's not possible.  If you write 3 bytes, you will get 3 bytes back.  Maybe you only care about one of the bytes, but you will still get 3.

I would like to know what happens if I am not using that returned value in my program.

Nothing happens.  The compiler will know at compile time that you're not referencing it, and no code will be generated.

If you want to make it clear to the reader that you are intentionally discarding the return value, you can do

(void)spi_write_read(42);

Thanks a lot.
Jump to:
© 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.5